The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
And wow...I think you're way off in the second part. If that were true, Nolan's Batfilms should have pushed MoS over a billion. Instead, it fell off 64% in its second weekend. Why? Because it wasn't as good.

Iron Man 2 made 650 million. :o I think Superman had the disadvantage of not being a Batman movie. Man of Steel had Nolan's name attached to it, but it didn't have a direct connection to the Batman movies like all the Marvel movies have with each other.

Thor and Cap both had solid first outings, that made more cash than Batman Begins or the first X-Men. And that will only improve post-Avengers. So the people who go on about Marvel having to prove they can do it without RDJ, i think that's a silly argument. Yes, RDJ knocked it out of the park and drew a lotta butts into theaters for Avengers and IM2 & 3. But after good first movies with solid box office and appearances in one of the highest grossing films of all time, I think Cap and Thor 2 will both do at least IM2 numbers. At least, as long as Marvel and Disney keep up the great promotional work.

Iron Man 2 made 650 million. :o I think Superman had the disadvantage of not being a Batman movie. Man of Steel had Nolan's name attached to it, but it didn't have a direct connection to the Batman movies like all the Marvel movies have with each other.

Yeah but the public assumed they were in the same universe when they saw Nolan's name as producer, or at least naively assumed so. I would have as well if I weren't following all the developments. So with that, you should have seen a big spike. But it was a reboot film that only followed seven years post SR. And the film was average, so at the end of the day, it did exactly what you would have expected. Avengers did almost 400-500 million higher than expected. IM3 almost doubled its previous numbers, but he's also the most popular character by far. I don't think you can immediately double Cap and Thor's numbers just off Avengers since their movies were not nearly as popular.

I wonder if there will be any mention of Blonsky in this movie. He was the closest thing the MCU's seen to a successful second attempt at a super soldier.

You will never convince me that Cap 2 will make IM3 (or hell, IM2) money regardless of how good it is just because it's in a connected universe. It has to have a good story that keeps people coming back. That's the only way it happens.

I don't think all of the money made will be because of the connected universe. I'm not that stupid. If that were the case, every sequel would be as successful or more successful than the original. But it sure as hell doesn't hurt being part of a hugely successful crossover franchise.

Last edited:
Double, no, but 150% of the first movie's box office isn't outta line, if the movies are good

As long as there's a good increase in BO I'm ok. Doesn't have to be IM2 or 3 money but it sure would be nice. Now a Cap 3 that's a different story. I hope to see it approaching those numbers.

As long as there's a good increase in BO I'm ok. Doesn't have to be IM2 or 3 money but it sure would be nice. Now a Cap 3 that's a different story. I hope to see it approaching those numbers.

Why would Cap 3 be any different? You are still following an Avengers movie and the effect on the box office must already be apparent for Cap 2.

I don't think all of the money made will be because of the connected universe. I'm not that stupid. If that were the case, every sequel would be as successful or more successful than the original. But it sure as hell doesn't hurt being part of a hugely successful crossover franchise.

I never insinuated that you were stupid, but way to edit your post to put that line in.

You said this...

After the success of the Avengers, most people are going to see a Marvel movie no matter how good or bad it is. So no, the success of Cap 2 isn't dependent on how good the movie is. It's mostly dependent on the success of past Marvel movies.

And that's what I referenced.

I put other stuff in my edit, too.

And the sentence after the bolded in the second quote says mostly. I definitely did overstate it, but the movie wouldn't make nearly as much money without its connection to the larger franchise. That's all I meant by it.

I wonder if there will be any mention of Blonsky in this movie. He was the closest thing the MCU's seen to a successful second attempt at a super soldier.

I'd be seriously happy if they did. I'm hoping they didn't completely retcon that movie from the MCU.

I put other stuff in my edit, too.

And the sentence after the bolded in the second quote says mostly. I definitely did overstate it, but the movie wouldn't make nearly as much money without its connection to the larger franchise. That's all I meant by it.

That, I don't doubt. A good chunk of the money made by all MCU films can be tied to the connected universe. It's not a guarantee of success, though.

I'd be seriously happy if they did. I'm hoping they didn't completely retcon that movie from the MCU.

There were short clips from the movie in the Avengers, so it seems to still be movie canon. :up:

That, I don't doubt. A good chunk of the money made by all MCU films can be tied to the connected universe. It's not a guarantee of success, though.

That's sort of the point I was trying to make. I just didn't do it very eloquently. :csad:

Why would Cap 3 be any different? You are still following an Avengers movie and the effect on the box office must already be apparent for Cap 2.

Because I'm hoping that Cap shows well in every subsequent appearance and becomes more and more popular on his own merits by the third installment.

IM2 money is pretty possible if Cap 2 is a good movie. If it is a great movie, even Transformers money would be possible. Who knows? :oldrazz:

Kind of doubt Marvel would be that sloppy in their work. I think it's probably intentional on their part. It's either some symbolism for the film or it's actually what CA's shield will look like for part of the film.

What makes more sense from a metaphorical POV:

a) The poster is of Cap's shield with the paint scarred and stripped away from the toughest battle(s) he's yet faced. Gone are his simple ideals about America, and he's having to adjust to an America he may no longer believe in, and that may no longer believe in him. Yet beneath it all remains the solid vibranium core, unbreakable like Steve Rogers himself.

b) Well, it turns out that SHIELD decided to paint over Cap's red white and blue shield with silver paint for some utterly inexplicable reason. ("Stealth?" bwahahahaha :doh: ) Only, it's not really paint anyway; it's clearly metal. And in order for this theory to work, there would necessarily be at least *two* levels of "paint" that are stripped away, including the 1940s original....in any event, looking past the factual inaccuracies of this theory, what's the metaphor supposed to represent? That if you strip off Cap's, uh, "shiny" exterior, there's a half-assed red white and blue --- well, mostly blue, with a little bit of red, and no visible white, and --- well....

Like I said: it's not that hard to figure out, people. The message in (a) is simple, direct, and poignant. Whatever layering issues are present in the poster are simple photoshop errors.

GREAT... and, WHAT suit is that?
he will wear 2 different? AWESOME, 'cause it looks like TFA one which I loved.

edit: OMG, it's so epic... I just realised Falcon is on it too!

I hope it sticks around this time, or the A2 suit is at least a slight update.

It will stick. If they can catch a fraction of what is in that concept art, then we are in for something special.

Looking better at it... it's not exactly the same outfit from TFA, right? at least the red stripes...

Exclusive EW.Epic!!!

Winter-Solider_810x443.jpg

:wow: HIGH-RES ASAP!

that looks pretty sick
I still can't stand the damn chinstrap,
but it seems like a good mix of the TFA and Avengers costumes
little slimmer and a different midsection than the TFA one, and more muted colors than Avengers

I guess this must be the final showdown, with Bucky unmasked and some epic battle on the background... wow, it's quite awesome for sure.
Also, I loved that it looks pretty clear that we will have quinjets in the movie.

yeah, battle on the helicarrier featuring Falcon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"