Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 9

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]462863[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]461417[/split]

3. InnerWarrior

InnerWarrior Well-Known Member

I just thought he was a clone or something. I figured that'd be the only reason they wouldn't tell him that they brought him back. Because is a clone ever really the same as the original? I think Coulson would freak out if he knew he was a clone.

4. Crimson King

Crimson King Superhero Novelista

^I agree that he's probably a clone rather than an LMD. My point, however, was that it would be a huge mistake to reveal that in episode 1 just to appease someone asking why the Avengers aren't mad about being lied to.

5. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

^ Yes, I find the immediate gratification types on here annoying.

6. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

we all should always remember what Tom taught us:
    [​IMG]
    :woot:

7. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

Haha, Cookie Monster is like "who is this magnificent person talking cool and using big words?"

8. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

So eternally precious! Now I want a Loki one shot where he hires Cookie Monster to be his henchman, for unlimited cookies.

Don't tell me that doesn't make an excellent idea for a MCU short! :word:

9. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

My first thought originally was that he was a clone. But if that were the case then there wouldn't have been a need to create a memory of him recovering on a beach (which we all know didn't happen). They could have cloned him and he would never have been the wiser.

Also..he keeps saying it was a "magical place" which I feel plays real significance to what really happened to him. I'm still saying real magic came into play.

10. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Maybe so, or maybe he's an LMD who thinks he's the real deal.

11. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

This is what I'm going with.

12. Vid Electricz

Vid Electricz Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who remembers Agent Coulson from the Elektra series from like, the early 2000's?

13. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Which is pretty twisted of you think about it.

14. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Imagine what SHIELD's scientists would have had to do to get a clone body into which they could insert Coulson's memories. They would have had to grow a copy of him from a few cells into an adult, then they'd have needed to wipe that adult's mind of whatever personality or individuality it had and implant the memories of another version of itself in it. It would also be necessary to give that clone all of the scars and markings that Coulson himself had acquired in five decades of living. It would be like that awful movie The Island, but instead of taking body parts from clones to save the originals, SHIELD would have harvested the clone's entire body to resurrect Coulson.

15. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Unless they had any number of superscience tricks available to avoid having to do any of that. Cloned "blanks" are hardly unknown in science fiction, and neither is fast growing clones.

16. xeno000

Yes, but Gregg and Whedon have teased that the secret of Coulson's resurrection is a dark one. Coulson being the inhabitant of the body of a sentient human being who was essentially killed to make way for him is pretty dark. Phil Coulson is being portrayed as a decent, compassionate person who values human life. He would probably be extremely upset to find something like that out.

Another possibility I've thought of is that the Phil Coulson now working for SHIELD isn't the Phil Coulson of the MCU's universe at all, but a version of him from an adjacent universe who was brought over with some alien technology. In this scenario, Fury's scientists could have been attempting to use what they thought was time travel technology to reach back to a point prior to Coulson's death and pull him forward. Unfortunately, that's not really possible as it would cause all manner of paradoxical problems. So what the process actually did was reach over into a universe adjacent to our own, where there was also a Phil Coulson still alive, and pulled that man into the MCU universe. The scientists quickly realized the mistake that they had made, but couldn't sent Phil2 back. When Phil2 figured out that something drastic had happened, he told them that he was living an entirely different life from Phil1: wife, kids, a job as a high school principle, etc. So Fury & co. wiped Phil2's memories of his real life and implanted false ones from the Phil Coulson they knew.

Imagine if that were the case and Phil found out that he'd been snatched from his life and loved ones and could never return. Cue all the angst and tragedy. Of course it's not to be, but I'd love to see something as twisted as that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  17. Hyde

Hyde Ooga-Chaka

18. xeno000

That's cute and all, but the Whedon team has said that there will be no magic in AOS.

19. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Well-Known Member

All I know is Coulson LIVES!!!!! And AoS rocks, can't wait for Tues nights now

20. Hyde

Hyde Ooga-Chaka

Oh, didn't hear about that. Kinda renders the theory null BUT after Arrow I've learned to not take comments about a show before it's premiere so seriously. The Arrow producers originally said no superpowers and now Flash is showing up, so anything could happen

21. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

Aww man! :(

22. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I've heard conflicting reports, on that matter. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a miscommunication at some point, hinging on that ever-irksome issue of 'what counts as magic'.

23. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Don't start meta. :nono::cwink:

24. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Since when? :huh:
    Link, please.

25. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

They said it a couple weeks back in AOS interviews. A rule on the set is that all powers are to be given through science, not magic. Which was one of my points in that thread in the Avengers section for why Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will get their powers through science.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.