The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now that we know on when the events of this film take place, that still leaves the mystery of why SHIELD was absent from Iron Man 3.

We know that based on the events of "Agents of SHIELD" that the Extremis virus is on their watch and you'd think that they'd show up all over the scene if Tony was attacked by the Mandarin and presumed dead for awhile.

I think AoS is after IM3

It is set after IM 3, at least judging by the Pilot episode.

Doubt it. They've said AOS takes place after The Avengers, not too long. Extremis in AOS is still a largely unknown quantity, and Stark clearly hasn't revealed his "cure" for it yet. It's most likely concurrent with the events of IM3, not after it.

AOS hasn't really hinted at who's at the top of SHIELD right now --- could be Fury, could be Hill. If the eagle eyepatch teaser for tonight's episode reveals a Fury cameo, we'll probably know more about the linkage between CATWS, IM3, and AOS, and will have a better understanding of where the timeline is going, and where SHIELD is at in all this.

Doubt it. They've said AOS takes place after The Avengers, not too long. Extremis in AOS is still a largely unknown quantity, and Stark clearly hasn't revealed his "cure" for it yet. It's most likely concurrent with the events of IM3, not after it.

AOS hasn't really hinted at who's at the top of SHIELD right now --- could be Fury, could be Hill. If the eagle eyepatch teaser for tonight's episode reveals a Fury cameo, we'll probably know more about the linkage between CATWS, IM3, and AOS, and will have a better understanding of where the timeline is going, and where SHIELD is at in all this.
SHIELD had a cure for Extremis, that's what Agent Ward shot Peterson with.

Do we know that for certain though (that that's what Peterson was hit with)? Seeing as the gun he used was the 'night-night' gun mentioned earlier in the episode, I figured that Fitz-Simmons didn't necessarily come up with a cure to the Extremis/Gamma/Super-Soldier cocktail but came up with a way to improve the paralyzing agent of the night-night gun to safely take Peterson down without setting him off so that they (or other SHIELD scientists) could then at least have a chance/more time to work on a cure for him.

And also remember that it wasn't just Extremis in him. It was a mix. This means they have a cure for that cocktail, but not necessarily for pure Extremis.

Umm no...he shot him with the "Night Night Gun" which is a paralytic... he just put him to sleep.

perhaps, but that still doesn't add up as to why no one showed up for iron man
He wasn't supposed to involve himself in the first place. Cap works for SHIELD, and even if he wanted to help they wouldn't have let him because the government told SHIELD to stay out of it.

Not sure how I feel about the two year gap. It won't ruin the movie for me, but I guess we'll have to assume Captain A was doing smaller missions after the NY attack up to the Winter Soldier...that or he was sitting around with his thumb up his butt.

Think about it....Iron Man wasn't even really in trouble for a long period of time... Mandarin was doing his own thing and Tony wasn't involved...then he suddenly threatens Mandarin on TV and is presumed dead all within the same day. At what point were the Avengers supposed to come help?

Also, he laid low and the next anyone really saw of him he was doing the Air Force Rescue at the same time he was going to the final battle

It's pretty obvious he's been doing missions with SHIELD, they've already said that.

We know that Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Cap 2 occur 6 months, 1.5 years (from the newly released batch of Thor 2 interviews) and 2 years respectively after the Battle of NY.

I think the best way to untangle the Agents of SHIELD timeline in relation to the rest of the MCU would be to have the events of the first two episodes (Pilot and 0-8-4) occur just before Iron Man 3, and subsequent episodes after Iron Man 3.

Assuming the Episode 2 stinger involves a Fury voiceover*, maybe he could talk about this new threat called the Mandarin, the possible refinement/spread of Extremis and a mandate from the WSC disallowing SHIELD involvement. Fury could express disgust about this, but is compelled to follow orders this time around after already being on thin ice from disobeying their previous "lets nuke Manhattan" orders.

* I doubt they get an actual Sam Jackson appearance.

We know that Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Cap 2 occur 6 months, 1.5 years (from the newly released batch of Thor 2 interviews) and 2 years respectively after the Battle of NY.

I think the best way to untangle the Agents of SHIELD timeline in relation to the rest of the MCU would be to have the events of the first two episodes (Pilot and 0-8-4) occur just before Iron Man 3, and subsequent episodes after Iron Man 3.

Assuming the Episode 2 stinger involves a Fury voiceover*, maybe he could talk about this new threat called the Mandarin, the possible refinement/spread of Extremis and a mandate from the WSC disallowing SHIELD involvement. Fury could express disgust about this, but is compelled to follow orders this time around after already being on thin ice from disobeying their previous "lets nuke Manhattan" orders.

I might need to re-read the interviews but I thought it said that Thor 2 took place roughly 1.5-2 years after the FIRST (Thor) movie, and not that long after Avengers (I thought he said it pretty much picks up right after Avengers) again, I could be wrong.... I only skimmed the interviews so far.

I might need to re-read the interviews but I thought it said that Thor 2 took place roughly 1.5-2 years after the FIRST (Thor) movie, and not that long after Avengers (I thought he said it pretty much picks up right after Avengers) again, I could be wrong.... I only skimmed the interviews so far.
Oops, you're right. I misread that. Just re-read and it states that it takes place a year and a half after the original Thor and months after the Avengers. The rest of my post is pretty solid though. :)

Hmm, I can't see the events of Thor 2 (especially the London stuff) taking place before IM3 though.

Pretty sure they said in the AOS pilot, it took place six months after The Avengers .

Well whether it's one year or two years after the events of "The Avengers", it does give enough time to establish the relationships and alliances that'll be presented at the start of the film between the core characters.

I'm wondering though, if Steve breaks away from SHIELD, unless he were to go to Stark, how would he acquire the resources that he'd need in order to operate freely from SHIELD since he's not a billionaire, let alone a millionaire.

Well whether it's one year or two years after the events of "The Avengers", it does give enough time to establish the relationships and alliances that'll be presented at the start of the film between the core characters.

Sadly, it probably means we won't ever see more of Steve in the immediate time after he was thawed outside of that deleted scene from Avengers.

I would wonder why Steve would wait a year or two before visiting Peggy.

I'm wondering though, if Steve breaks away from SHIELD, unless he were to go to Stark, how would he acquire the resources that he'd need in order to operate freely from SHIELD since he's not a billionaire, let alone a millionaire.
Some stories has Steve receiving an Army pension, and that he is well off because the Army gave him backpay for all the years he was on ice.

Sam Jack was in the house, kicking Coulson's ass and vetoing fish tanks. :woot:

Sadly, it probably means we won't ever see more of Steve in the immediate time after he was thawed outside of that deleted scene from Avengers.

I would wonder why Steve would wait a year or two before visiting Peggy.

Some stories has Steve receiving an Army pension, and that he is well off because the Army gave him backpay for all the years he was on ice.

Maybe he's been busy doing missions for SHIELD along with not feeling emotionally prepared to meet with his old flame from WWII.

Maybe he's been busy doing missions for SHIELD along with not feeling emotionally prepared to meet with his old flame from WWII.

I've got a feeling that the meeting with Peggy won't be a social call, but a business meeting. Knowing what we do now, that Peggy was the actual Director of SHIELD back in the post-War days, it stands to reason that she has more than a little knowledge about the "Winter Soldier" project in Russia, or wherever. I think it'll be --- on paper, at least --- simply that Cap and Widow come to Peggy looking for answers about WS/Bucky, but of course Steve and Peggy get the chance to tie up loose-end emotions during the meet.

And btw, yes, Nick Fury *was* in the 084 episode of AOS last night. And very much still the Director of SHIELD. So, if AOS takes place six months after Avengers, it *does* occur right around the time IM3 begins, and we don't yet see any of the Fury on the run/ internal political shakeup in SHIELD that we're all assuming takes place in CATWS.

As others pointed out: he was shot with a sleep agent, not an Extremis cure. And what FitzSimmons came up with was a completely untested elixir that, by sheer dumb luck, happened to work well on the combination of Extremis, alien tech, and gamma radiation that was in the Centipede device.

So no, SHIELD does not have "a cure for Extremis" in AOS.

As others pointed out: he was shot with a sleep agent, not an Extremis cure. And what FitzSimmons came up with was a completely untested elixir that, by sheer dumb luck, happened to work well on the combination of Extremis, alien tech, and gamma radiation that was in the Centipede device.

So no, SHIELD does not have "a cure for Extremis" in AOS.

Are you sure about that? Because his orange Extremis turned blue after he was shot.

I assumed that was just the effects of the paralytic

Side effects may include blueness of biological augmentations...

But seriously, it would be kind of anti-climactic if Coulson pressed Fitz and Simmons to deliver a fix and the answer was a sedative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"