The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: Rotten Tomato Watch - Part 1

Guardians of the Galaxy is the first Marvel Studios film I've been truly worried about since the first Thor. It is a significantly riskier project than the last few Marvel films. Hopefully that risk pays off.

Well, distractors keep saying that Marvel's movies play it too safe, and now Marvel is coming out with one of the riskiest CBM ever. I for one think GOTG is going to be the surprising hit of the summer, and it will definitely spawn a sequel in a few years.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the first Marvel Studios film I've been truly worried about since the first Thor. It is a significantly riskier project than the last few Marvel films. Hopefully that risk pays off.

It is, but because of all the other success they had, if this one doesn't do as well, it will lessen the blow. For example, if the movie fails, it won't be all that devastating if they don't do another one. It's not crucial that Guardians 2 gets made to continue on with the rest of Phase 2, Phase 3, etc.

Well, distractors keep saying that Marvel's movies play it too safe, and now Marvel is coming out with one of the riskiest CBM ever. I for one think GOTG is going to be the surprising hit of the summer, and it will definitely spawn a sequel in a few years.

I used to say it would suddenly become "safe" right after it comes out and is successful. . . except I was proven wrong. People are *already* calling it safe.

I used to say it would suddenly become "safe" right after it comes out and is successful. . . except I was proven wrong. People are *already* calling it safe.

-______-

I… honestly don't even know anymore.

Some people think of Marvel films as fast food cinema. Disposable, kind of fills you up until five minutes after you finish it, then you forget about it. So that may be where some are coming from, calling GOTG safe when it's really anything but.

Or maybe it's the fact that GOTG will have the Marvel label slapped on it, thus nearly guaranteeing a good time. Who knows?

IM3 wasn't even safe. I think Marvel have already proved they can take risks.

After IM3, Cap 2, and now Guardians, I think it's fair to say that this criticism can go out the window. I see a lot of people calling Avengers safe these days, but only in hindsight. I'm pretty sure we all thought it was risky prior to release...who really expected that movie to do gangbusters, and be as good as it was in the first place? It's easy to Monday morning quarterback it now, but back then? Not so much.

OK, but do you all realize something? The MCU is now officially the biggest movie franchise of all.

That means every now and again there will be some disappointments. So if one movie does bad business, it's not the end of the world. Even The Incredible Hulk early on was an underperformer, but having Iron Man do so well that same summer softened that blow.

MCU will continue to be the biggest one for a while as well with Guardians and Avengers 2 both coming out over the course of the next year. Plus figure in Cap 3 and Thor 3 later on.

So even if Ant-Man and Guardians don't do as well, it's not a huge loss because the sequels and Avengers 3 will do well.

But seeing as to how they were able to turn Cap and Thor into billion dollar movie franchises, I think the Guardians, Ant-Mans, and Doctor Stranges of the world have a decent chance of doing well.

-______-

Some people think of Marvel films as fast food cinema. Disposable, kind of fills you up until five minutes after you finish it, then you forget about it. So that may be where some are coming from, calling GOTG safe when it's really anything but.

Indeed. Seems like the term 'safe' has become little more a backhanded jab in the context of these Marvel movies. Safe or not...several of them are pretty good, and future prospects are very promising. I find it a very inconsequential distinction, regardless of whether or not it's accurate.

IM3 wasn't even safe. I think Marvel have already proved they can take risks.

:up:

Again, I think with a lot of the detractors, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to call a movie safe after the fact, when it's a huge success with critics, fans, and at the BO, and it's even easier now that said franchise has established itself as a major player in the grand scheme of things. I don't think anyone was calling the eventual MCU a safe idea back in 2007.

It is, but because of all the other success they had, if this one doesn't do as well, it will lessen the blow. For example, if the movie fails, it won't be all that devastating if they don't do another one. It's not crucial that Guardians 2 gets made to continue on with the rest of Phase 2, Phase 3, etc.

True. I'm speaking more about the quality of this particular film. Marvel has been consistent enough that I am reasonably confident that most of their films will be decent at worst. GotG is the first in a while that has the potential to not work. Not that I'm pessimistic, but it is different enough that we really don't know at this point how it will turn out.

-______-

Or maybe it's the fact that GOTG will have the Marvel label slapped on it, thus nearly guaranteeing a good time. Who knows?

Well, in the thread that comes to mind first, the arguments were:

1. "The lead is a white guy, ergo its safe."

2. "Animal sidekicks have been done before, nothing unsafe there."

3. "Marvel is canny and cunning, ergo everything they do counts as safe."

People like to forget that the whole concept of a large connected cinematic universe was considered anything but "safe" from the very beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"