First Avenger Captain America: News and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The movie schematics as you've described them are separated into three parts, but it is not written in stone that you spend a full 1/3rd of a movie re-introducing characters. Again you've got Fury, Cap, Thor, Widow, Coulson, Banner, etc. etc. .... oh not to mention the bad guy(s) ..... that's a butt load of re-introduction.
yes, all of that is introduction and almost all of it happens in the first third of the movie

Lix speaks the truth. He doesn't mean doing whole backstories on each character and flashbacks, just re-introducing them. For example, you wouldn't have Stark just jumping into a fight scene with the Hulk trying to prove he's team material, assuming the audience remembers two small lines at the end of IM2. Likely, you'd introduce him in an environment where he's demonstrating his egotistical and showy attitude to set him up for the inevitable future clash with teammates. So you understand why there's friction between them later, instead of expecting the audience to go in knowing all about him.

But to be honest I thought that was a given for anyone looking at this from a movie making perspective.

He suggested you spend 1/3rd of the film re-introducing all the characters as though I was suggesting you spend an entire Avengers movie all on action.

My opinion is that they're going to have to be far more swift and creative in their execution because there's so much to be crammed into a film of this magnitude. In the case of Cap, you spend too much time dilly dallying around with him getting familiar with modern times and you have Captain America 2 on your hands. That's not how this movie should play out.

Alright, well the re-introductions would happen more across the first act than first third, would be a better way of putting it. You still have to do it, regardless of length. So maybe you're not spending 40 minutes on introductions- it's just that it has to be done.

Also I would think that each Avenger would have an arc of some sort, Cap's being adjusting to modern times. It's not just spending tons of time with him going to all these museums and stuff, but when he's not at work with the team and spending time off, it's only logical he's taking a look around the world around him since he really doesn't have anywhere else to go.

Alright, well the re-introductions would happen more across the first act than first third, would be a better way of putting it. You still have to do it, regardless of length. So maybe you're not spending 40 minutes on introductions- it's just that it has to be done.

Also I would think that each Avenger would have an arc of some sort, Cap's being adjusting to modern times. It's not just spending tons of time with him going to all these museums and stuff, but when he's not at work with the team and spending time off, it's only logical he's taking a look around the world around him since he really doesn't have anywhere else to go.
yes

I don't see why there wont be enough time for scene's like these. I certainly don't want action scene after action scene...

The scene you described could actually be quite touching; imagine if you woke up one day and you had lost everything you've ever known and loved? Imagine a scene where Cap goes and see's a commememorative statue of him and Bucky, and realize's that, essentially, he's all alone in this modern world.
Reminds me of Demolition Man. :awesome:
I'm sorry, but a movie without character building and a bit of substance is not the sort of Avengers movie I want.
Agreed
Maybe instead of Steve going to a museum or whatever, Stark has Jarvis run a bunch of videos about what's happened the past 60 years. I could see Steve sitting in a chair, staring up a different flashes of newspaper clipings, videos, "Hilter Dead", the JFK shooting, all the way up to 9/11.

You could take about 2 minutes with a scene like that, and easily pass it off as Steve doing this research for hours. Every few seconds, cut to a shot of Steves reaction.
Reminds me of The 5th Element. :awesome:

Personally, I think part of their marketing campaign will help to re-familiarize people with all the participating members so they don't have to spend 40+ minutes worth of film on it.

I said, they could cover it in much less than 40 minutes but ok

I don't see why there wont be enough time for scene's like these. I certainly don't want action scene after action scene...

The scene you described could actually be quite touching; imagine if you woke up one day and you had lost everything you've ever known and loved? Imagine a scene where Cap goes and see's a commememorative statue of him and Bucky, and realize's that, essentially, he's all alone in this modern world.

I'm sorry, but a movie without character building and a bit of substance is not the sort of Avengers movie I want.
You took the words out of my mouth. :up: :up: :up:

I'd rather we get scenes of the team trying to come together and gel...save the character moments for the solo movies

I'd rather we get scenes of the team trying to come together and gel...save the character moments for the solo movies

Why not both??,As it's been said......Rogers could be catching up on the world's changes by watching newspaper clips or something,While the team watches over from a window in another room feeling sorry or understanding him!?

I dont see and arrogant thundergod or RDJ's IM feeling sorry or understanding Cap...its just more exciting to me to watch a WW2 soldier, a norse thundergod and futurist try to become a team and friends.
Focusing on Cap's story in Avengers makes the movie Cap-centric and IMO thats too much like the X-movies where they were Wolverine-centric.
They are scheduled to do three Cap movies...save the solo stuff for the solo movies...Avengers should be about the team

I dont see and arrogant thundergod or RDJ's IM feeling sorry or understanding Cap...its just more exciting to me to watch a WW2 soldier, a norse thundergod and futurist try to become a team and friends.
Focusing on Cap's story in Avengers makes the movie Cap-centric and IMO thats too much like the X-movies where they were Wolverine-centric.
They are scheduled to do three Cap movies...save the solo stuff for the solo movies...Avengers should be about the team

That's sort of what I was saying before. The movie has to be cautious as to not become too "Cap-centric" as you pointed out ..... running the risk of becoming more of a sequel for Cap than being "The Avengers" ....

A good writer would have no problem balancing individual character development and team development at the same time. A good ensemble movie gives everyone a chance to have their moments while taking nothing away from the main story.

The progression should happen amidst the group. There's not quite enough movie time for him to go hit the museum up or play catch up with 60+ years of U.S. history.

..... And again with the thawing, I sure hope they don't wait until the Avengers. Remember, the average movie goer probably has zero idea about the Avengers movie, just us. Thus thawing him in CA:TFA becomes. important IMO.

Your assuming people are talking about having a bunch of Cap only scenes. It doesn't take 10 min clips of one person to develop a character or his arc.

A well placed sigh, glance, or silence amidst the group interacting could do it just as well as him spending the day at the museum. I was never suggesting that.

It doesn't require whole scenes dedicated to only them. Only a few seconds here and there, worked into the story and team dynamics as a whole.

Again, I think Joss is a master of this and will give it all to us within the context of the story and plot.

A well written script can re-establish all these characters and work it seamlessly into the greater movie.

A good writer would have no problem balancing individual character development and team development at the same time. A good ensemble movie gives everyone a chance to have their moments while taking nothing away from the main story.

Exactly.

This is also where I think Whedon excels. He's sort of unproven as a big movie director, but his writing, and character work is superb. He's also a geek and truly likes and understands the characters.

I agree with some of you that Avengers shouldn't be Cap-centric (ala X-men). I just think you can bring him along within the context of the movie just fine without doing that. A nod here and there is all you need.

I just don't want them just skipping to him using a labtop and acting like nothing ever happened. They need to keep the character context. They can do that WITHOUT making it Cap centric. Other characters need similar personal arcs and nods as well.

If that is the case then that decision deserves a gazillion thumbs down.

actually it could be a trailer or a special spot they shot just for the Superbowl
I am reminded of the ID4 Superbowl commercial, The Hulk, and the Godzilla commercial for NewYears eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"