First Avenger Captain America: Super Soldier (The Video Game)

I think that may be a little fanboy influenced there... The combat is fun and I'm definitely digging the story and AA esque mission structure over levels, but it's got all the usual flaws of a movie based game. I'd say it's close to the same level of X-Men Origins Wolverine the game... More variety to the combat than Wolverine, but not very pretty a game. Cap and the shield look great, but it's not a graphical wonder that's for sure. I'm having fun so far though.

Oh, also, I actually really dig Evan's voice for Cap, even though the movie tie in voice overs are usually pretty garbage. Since this is the first extensive amount of time we've heard Evans talking as Cap, and considering he has to do all the lines in a lifeless recording booth rather than full of energy on screen, it's pretty darn good. I love it when he says kick ass things like "Don't worry, i'll deal with it. Captain America out" and then just freakin' jumps out a window. Awesome :p

Agreed, it's not a graphical wonder. Doesn't have to be either. It looks good enough to me.

There are a few graphical bugs here and there, like some of the shield-damage decals on the walls, but those really can't spoil the fun.

Problem is that we've been spoiled with some new games looking amazing and then we expect every game to look like that... We musn't forget that graphics aren't everything.

I think Captain America is a fine game and definitely better than the avarage movie game. By far! Wolvie's right when he compared it to X-Men Origins: Wolverine... I prefer this one though :)

I thought the game is to have been released on the 19th? Awesome to hear it's at least as good as the Wolverine game

I thought the game is to have been released on the 19th? Awesome to hear it's at least as good as the Wolverine game

Out here it was slated for release on the 15th but usually games arrive in stores a few days prior.

On the other hand, the movie itself will only come out in mid-August here... :s

Good to hear this game is good. I can't wait to get it.

Any word on there being unlockable costumes?

I'm liking the sounds of this game, I'll probably get it for Christmas though. Is there any professional reviews out yet?

Yeah, I'm officially adding this to my list of must play games just for how damn fun it looks.

Okay, I've nearly finished it.

I don't know if I'd buy this game, it depends how much you can afford it and your tolerance level for games.... I'd say this game is a perfect rental game, fun to play, not very long and perfect for whenever you're in the mood for a Cap game, but as a purchase, I think it's more likely to gather dust in the long run than be something work owning, but again, that depends on your personal tastes.

As far as costumes go, I unlocked the Ultimates WWII costume like halfway through the game, although god knows how I did that, it didn't really tell me, and you can unlock the classic costume at some point. In the instruction booklet, they also say keep an eye out for Marketplace content to be released soon.

I'd say my two biggest problems are the graphics (all cutscenes are in game and look awful. There's no hint of that great prologue trailer CGI we saw, it's all SEGA's awful graphic engine, bad movement, awful lip syncing etc), with textures and explosions, which there are a lot of, looking very, very flat. A few environments look pretty nice though, like Zemo's Estate, so it's a shame that they couldn't go all out. Also, there is evidence of corner cutting in quite a few places.

The other thing is the controls. The fighting is great, but movement is pretty horrendous two. The only speeds are pretty much stiffly running or snails pace, and I found myself running into walls or missing stair case entrances several times because of the imprecise movement. Also, there is total inconsitency with how you interact with the environment. If you're high up, you can usually jump down, however if there's a waist high fence or railing in your way, instead of just leaping over it, you do a physically impossible wall jump of an invisible wall above the railing. This became more annoying when, after 4 hours of being unable to mantle things like that, the game let me do it in one section, then never again. Little things like this, for me, just totally took me out of the game in feeling like I was Cap. When you're fighting a room full of guys, it's awesome, you're head snapping, leaping over guys, shield throwing, everything you should be, but then most fight scenes end in about 30 seconds to a minute and then you are back, climbing a ladder extremely slowly and very uncaplike.

So like I said, it's been fun for a Cap game but I don't want to sell this game as awesome, when it has several clear flaws.

Thanks for the write up. For the price and after some trade ins, I'll be getting it.

It'll hold me over until Arkham City and Gears of War 3.

Just read the IGN review and I think it's a bit harsh...
They do have some very valid points but if they gave 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' a score of 7.8, 'Captain America: Super Soldier' definitely deserves more than 5.0!
I mean, they gave the 'Iron Man 2' game 5.1... What'n the world?!

Clearly, IGN aren't very big Cap fans.

Just read the IGN review and I think it's a bit harsh...
They do have some very valid points but if they gave 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' a score of 7.8, 'Captain America: Super Soldier' definitely deserves more than 5.0!
I mean, they gave the 'Iron Man 2' game 5.1... What'n the world?!

To them, if it isn't some fps then the game sucks.

I seriously doubt this game is worse than Iron Man 2.

Eh.. I don't care about length of gameplay or anything. I take so much longer to play than any normal person anyways.

I just want a fun game. Also, has anyone here played Marvel v. Capcom? My friend absolutely adores it and recommended it to me. He also says he constantly gets his tuchus kicked by Cap. Hard! LOL!!

Eh.. I don't care about length of gameplay or anything. I take so much longer to play than any normal person anyways.

I just want a fun game. Also, has anyone here played Marvel v. Capcom? My friend absolutely adores it and recommended it to me. He also says he constantly gets his tuchus kicked by Cap. Hard! LOL!!

Although I've loved the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat series, I don't like the Marvel VS Capcom games...
I dunno... to me the fighting is too mangatized (if that is a real world) and too allover the place. I have a hard time following what's going on...

Heck, maybe I'm just getting old... :p

Yep. Buy Marvel v Capcom 3. Play through it with a Cap/Thor/IM team. You'll have a blast (if you can get used to the controls).

I used to play the arcade MvC at the movie theater when I was younger. I remember Wolverine... Beserker Attack was blood-fueled fun!! I'll be putting this on my list of games to get (as well as Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions).

So maybe it's a good thing that Super Soldier's a short game LOL!!

The game looks better than Thor: God Of Thunder. That already gives it an a+ in my books. Plus I love the combat system and I really don't mind hunting down all the collectables I enjoyed hunting the Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum and can't wait to do it again in Arkham City .

May give it a look once the price is WAAAAAY down. I'm tired of them overpricing these 5 hour games.

I wouldn't say that considering one of their complaints is how badly characterized he is in the game. If they weren't fans they wouldn't care that he was encouraged to trash priceless art and artifacts in the castle.

The might of given this a harsher rating than some of the other games because of its squandered potential. Also they might be rating it harshly because the few reasons it is good is because it rips of Arkham Asylum in a wholesale manner.

If you're going to imitate something great you best expect to be judged according to the standards it set.

Had a friend who rented this and finished it in a night.
Said the graphics are fine, the gameplay is fun and the story ties in well for the WW2 stuff.
Might give it a go after seeing the film.

Edit. Sorry, double post.

Last edited:
I just platinumed this. It was pretty fun, much, MUCH better then the Thor and Green Lantern games. The story is fine and I thought the graphics were pretty good.
You can quite clearly see the influence it's had from Arkham Asylum. The combat is the biggest similarity although the free flow really doesn't work anywhere near as well as in AA.
Chris Evans was very good as Cap and the game has definitely made me even more excited for the film.
However, like many of you gave said, definitely rent it or wait until the price is much lower as it is very short. I got it in Friday and completed it 100% today in one playthrough. Luckily I got it on Amazon at the lowest price I had seen it for at £25.
Some of the trophies/achievements are pretty strange in comparison to Cap as a character. Like what has been mentioned on IGN, collecting ceramic eggs (and a rooster at one point!) and smashing statues and causing explosions. But if you are a fan of collecting trophies or achievements, they are all very simple to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"