First Avenger Captain America: Super Soldier (The Video Game)

It's pretty sad when movies like X-Men Origins: Wolverine have great games while movies like Iron Man, Cap and Thor have this garbage.

I think the character models look really good. The shield is a little poopy, and the environments are pretty off too.

Curious about the costume though. I like the movie costume we've seen as well, but would be neat to see this one on film.

I wonder how many of the people crapping on this game already did the exact same when the Wolverine game was at this stage. I'm guessing a lot.

What a shame the game will be dreadful. Does sega have the video game rights to the Captain America franchise or do they just have the rights to the tie-in of the movie? If it's the former perhaps a better video game company can make a non-movie inspired video game that is also good.

I wonder how many of the people crapping on this game already did the exact same when the Wolverine game was at this stage. I'm guessing a lot.
The Wolverine game wasn't developed by SEGA. SEGA hasn't made an acceptable game in forever

Well at least this is being made by Next Level Games, not the bozos that gave us the two Iron Man games.

NLG made Punch Out!! for the Wii and Spider-Man Friend or Foe.

as long as the gameplay isn't out and out horrible i'll love this game. just rip the guts out of any other action platformer and slap on the cap skins and this will be my 2nd favorite game next year. that costume looks fantastic, it's exactly what i wish we'd have gotten out of the movie suit.

If this game doesn't turn out good, I'll lose my s***.

LOSE. MY. S***!:csad:

The Cap costume in the screenshots looks great. Here's hoping that's what he wears in the movie!

I wouldn't think so. From the sounds of the press release it seems like their going to do their own story. Most likely one still set in the Cap movie-verse, but seperate. Plus that could just be an unlockable costume. Who knows.

I'm willing to bet this game is related to the movie in the same way The Punisher on Xbox was related to that movie, i.e. vague continuity and no similar physical characteristics.

The Wolverine game wasn't developed by SEGA. SEGA hasn't made an acceptable game in forever

Well, that depends on who you ask (Bayonetta, etc...) but the fact is, I'm not saying the game will be good. All I'm saying is that to make judgments on a game's gameplay based on a literal handful of screenshots makes no sense to me. I'll reserve judgment until we see gameplay footage, at which point I very well may join the witch hunt.

i don't know if i'd call them a literal handful of screenshots, that kinda depends on how big you print them

I was more referring to the fact that there are only four, and hence, you could count them on one hand (and, if they were standard-sized photos, hold them in one hand, if you want to get literal)

Never-the-less, well played.

The bottom line is this:

XO:Wolverine was simply a "Wolverine" game that had been in development for years prior to the films inception (and, granted, was also made by a good company)

If this game was solely created for the movie and is going to be pushed through in 2 years, it WILL SUCK.

If they had lead in time and SEGA has been working on it for a few years, then it might be decent (it's possible...Bayonetta, from what I hear, was ok)

Well, from what we've seen so far, it won't be a strictly movie-based game, so at least it's got that going for it.

Why couldn't Marvel of gave the rights to Activision or Capcom? :(

IGN has put up a preview.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1125915p1.html

EDIT: They also put up a teaser.

Here's a interesting quote about some of the gameplay mechanics.

The game also gives you control of his Tactical Vision and Crippling Strike. If Tactical Vision sounds like Batman: Arkham Asylum's Detective Mode, that's because it is – SEGA freely admits this. Although the presentation of how this mode will be presented for players is still being decided, it's basically going to highlight keys objectives (like things you can interact with to move the level forward), point out threats and shed light on the game's oodles of collectables.

When you're fighting, a segmented meter is filling in with energy. Each complete segment represents a Crippling Strike. These are one-move knockouts that slowdown time and get presented to you in cinematic way. The one working during my demo had Cap throwing one devastating punch into the kisser of his foes, which shattered their little mouth guards and sent their ragdoll bodies flying into walls. The devs are looking into Crippling Throws for Cap's shield, but they weren't up and running yet.

Wonder if they also took the free-flow combat too, because that will be pretty cool.

Last edited:
IGN has put up a preview.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1125915p1.html

EDIT: They also put up a teaser.

Here's a interesting quote about some of the gameplay mechanics.

Wonder if they also took the free-flow combat too, because that will be pretty cool.

The author also mentions that he isn't allowed to talk about what the costume looks like, despite screen shots of the classic Cap being shown in the article. It also notes that the game takes place in the movie universe. This suggest to me that the classic costume is an alternate/acheivement skin and the default/official skin is the movie costume, which technically hasn't been officially revealed yet and would explain why the author couldn't descrbe it. Also the game sounds like its heading in the right direction at this early stage. Please don't suck!

Last edited:
Im wondering if Caps fighting style in the trailer is what we'll be seeing in the movie.

this game looks like it has potential. now lets see what the thor game has to offer.

that trailer looked good the gameplay looks interesting seems a little bit like Batman AA fighting

that trailer looked good the gameplay looks interesting seems a little bit like Batman AA fighting

A little bit, but that can only be a od thing. AA's combat system was awesome. Looks like Cap will be a bit more agile than Batman was in the game, which is good. I loved AA but Batman looked too stiff when running and walking.

yeah, that trailer was kinda cool. not getting my hopes up too high but the game could be decent. i do hope that Cap moves and fights like that in the movie. thatd be awesome.

Now, the first thing that's cool about Captain America: Super Soldier is that SEGA isn't just rehashing the flick. This is happening in the same World War II universe as the movie, but you won't see these exploits on the big screen and vice versa. I was told that the movie is an origin story, and the game fills in the gap between Cap toying around with his new powers and being the superhero we all know and love. When you pick up the controller, you're going to take Cap into his formative missions against Hydra and other world-threatening bad guys.

A third-person game, Super Soldier puts you in Cap's uniform and unleashes you on the enemy. The level I saw is the same demo that'll be at New York Comic-Con, and really serves as a "this is everything you can do in the game." Here, Cap's infiltrated Arnim Zola's castle. (Zola, of course, is a Nazi scientist in the comics and being played by Toby Jones in the upcoming movie.) Captain America is out in front of the incoming U.S. forces, and for the good guys to get in and stop Zola from sending weapons out, Cap's got to take out some AA guns and mop the floor with some henchmen.

It's definitely early -- the game's pre-alpha -- but watching it in action gave a pretty solid idea of where the title's going. Cap's equipped with strikes, grabs and counters, and of course, his shield is always on his back or arm and ready for a fight. Cap can block hits with it, ricochet bullets back at the folks firing them, or throw it at multiple baddies and watch it ping pong off of their heads.

For most of you reading this, it goes without saying that Captain America can't fly. If you didn't know that, the gist here is that Steve Rogers took some Super-Soldier Serum, had all of his athletic abilities maxed out, and threw on the red, white and blue outfit. That said, Cap uses his enhanced agility to leap and run from area to area. I'm sure that sounds lame, but in the game, it's all sorts of awesome. Cap can leap over enemies that are swinging at him and deliver devastating kidney punches from behind, he can pounce on downed foes and deliver a knockout blow when they're on the ground, and he can even mix in some Prince of Persia-style environment crossing when he wants.

It's easy to roll your eyes when you see Captain America start spinning around a pole that's jetting out of the wall like he's about to take on the Sands of Time, but when the moves chain together fluidly and he glides from one pole to the next and then grabs a vertical pipe with one hand to swing himself to a ledge, it's actually rather slick. Of course, making everything look natural will come down to the player's timing as he or she is making Cap pull off these feats, but that's beside the point.

And all of that is looking past the fact that Cap's mobility means he can kick off walls to deliver massive attacks. Cool.

Still, being able to move like a greased-up gymnast isn't Captain America's only ability. The game also gives you control of his Tactical Vision and Crippling Strike. If Tactical Vision sounds like Batman: Arkham Asylum's Detective Mode, that's because it is – SEGA freely admits this. Although the presentation of how this mode will be presented for players is still being decided, it's basically going to highlight keys objectives (like things you can interact with to move the level forward), point out threats and shed light on the game's oodles of collectables.

When you're fighting, a segmented meter is filling in with energy. Each complete segment represents a Crippling Strike. These are one-move knockouts that slowdown time and get presented to you in cinematic way. The one working during my demo had Cap throwing one devastating punch into the kisser of his foes, which shattered their little mouth guards and sent their ragdoll bodies flying into walls. The devs are looking into Crippling Throws for Cap's shield, but they weren't up and running yet.

Captain America slugged it out with these guys for a while, took out the AA guns, and then made it to a courtyard. Here, the sounds of thunderous footsteps were heard, a door was kicked in, and out stepped a massive robot with a TV screen for a belly. The camera framed the scene from behind the robot so that when the TV kicked on and bathed Cap in green light, we couldn't see who was asking our here if he was "surprised to see me?"

My money's on it being Zola… it is his castle after all.

My demo was brief and the game was far from finished, but Captain America: Super Soldier seems to have a lot going for it. I like the acrobatics, the Crippling Strikes and finally getting to use that shield like I've seen in so many comics. Graphically, the environments seemed a bit empty, but again, it's so early with this one – I'm not even allowed to talk about what Captain America's outfit looked like. Still, I can tell you that the cutscenes are rendered in-engine (i.e. the same character model you're playing as pops up in the in-game movies).

The game's aiming to be released next July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"