Captain America: The Winter Soldier Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Saitou Hajime Registered

Kinda poignant that he lost the worldwide crown in the same weekend he got the domestic one. But then again I suppose that's why he's Captain AMERICA :oldrazz:

2. Xhexania Registered

Not surprised that X-men is doing more at the foreign box office, but all the movies are grossing close amount of money; it is interesting to me that at BO site, they stopped counting the foreign box office at such rounded number weeks ago (it is 454.000.000) could be less, could be more, but for example Spiderman opened a couple of weeks later I than Cap and they are still counting their box office... Marvel and their distributors, probably stopped passing the numbers, nevertheless, it is not like they would be doing much more, but the information could be more accurate. :cwink:

3. TheVileOne Registered

The number I still want to see is $263 million, which puts it above Amazing Spider-Man domestic. Is it silly? Probably? Do I care that it is? no.

4. TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

5. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

6. Xeno That's America's ass!

TWS is still playing four times a day at the local dismount theater. I plan to see it for the sixth time Saturday with a friend who hasn't seen it yet. Cap can probably rake in another million from women who want to gaze at Chris Evans' perfect bod and dream of being in Sandy B's place. :-)

7. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

I'd imagine this will get a nice little boost at the discount theaters for the 4th of July this weekend

8. Minxie Registered

I went to a discount theater for Cap 2 today, in the late afternoon, and the theater was 3/4s full. :)

9. Joeyjojo72 Registered

How can a theater stay in business charging $2 a ticket? I don't think they exist in my neck of the woods (and I'd be reluctant to enter one if they did). But hey every dollar counts!

10. TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Theaters make the majority of their money off of concessions and my guess is people might buy more junk food if they're paying less for tickets. Theaters also get a greater % of the ticket price the longer a movie plays. They make about as much or more off a $2-4 ticket in it's 14th w/e than they do off a $14 one the first w/e and they might sell more tickets than the first w/e because it's cheaper.

That said, my Discount Theater closed years ago (I think the rent became too high) - I miss it. :waa:

11. Aging Fangirl slow slog to 1000 posts

Crappy seats aside, you wouldn't want to come here for a buck .99?

http://byrdtheatre.com/

I absolutely adore this place. The ticket takers and concession people dress in period 1920s costumes. On Friday nights they have a short pre-movie concert. Everyone cheers like crazy as the original Wurlitzer organ rises up out of the orchestra pit. The audience knows the words to the 30+ year old PSA about keeping the Byrd clean by heart - and they cheer for that too! The seats are original and haven't been fixed in at least 20 years, the floors are filthy despite the clever PSA - but it's still my favorite place to see a movie. :word:

Cap is finally at the Byrd and I plan to see it there a couple more times.

12. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

In my area we have the Riverview Theater, it was made in the 1950's and lately they put a lot of money in it for it's upkeep. They put in decent seats, have a great atmosphere and when you walk in you get the feeling you walking into a BttF sequel.

Cap has there for awhile, and still is there. During that time, TASM has come and GONE. Not sure when DoFP will pop up there, but I heard it's soon. I love this place, went to it ever since I was a kid. There were plenty of dollar theaters when I was growing up, but this one is the only one left from my old neighborhood.

#612 Tymminator, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  13. Joeyjojo72 Registered

Looks very cool. I stand corrected.

Boston had a couple nice old revival theaters but, rents being what they are, two bucks ain't happening. Plus they arent really 2nd run theaters. More arthouse/classic.

#613 Joeyjojo72, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  14. Aging Fangirl slow slog to 1000 posts

The Byrd kinda does double duty, also serving as a venue for various festivals and retrospectives. I went there for an Animated Short Film festival once, and they hosted our annual French Film Festival a few months ago.

Anyway, I did make it over to the Byrd this evening and had the best time, almost as much fun as the first time I saw CATWS. I love it when an audience is fully involved, and this one was laughing, clapping and cheering like crazy. There were even gasps when Bucky's mask fell off, so I'm guessing there were quite a few first timers in the audience. The place was packed, probably around 90%, all ages, families, dating couples, singletons, the whole demographic. I am absolutely amazed by how much good will this movie is still generating.

And I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that I got to meet the Captain himself. As a family scrambled to find seat after the lights went down, I could see the outline of a little boy, around 3 or 4, holding a little plastic shield. After the movie was over and they were coming back up the isle, I saw he was wearing a CA shirt as well. When he saw me grinning at him he started waving at me, so I pointed at him and said out loud, "You're Captain America!" The look on his face was priceless, with a smile so wide his face nearly split in two!

What a great end to a great weekend! :yay:

15. TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

16. TheVileOne Registered

So $258 million is a certainty at least.

17. TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

It will be at that before it hits the w/e. With the PTA it has and the drops it's having $260m looks very attainable - maybe more if it stays steady or gets another bump up in $ theaters. LEGO was in them for weeks and just finally lost most with it's PTA in the 200s and the DVD out for a couple of weeks.

18. JoCucumber Bang Bang Chitty

I know I'm not helping the cause, but I'm seeing it today....for .50 cents! Seriously two quarters...

19. TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

As of Thur:

Domestic: $258,044,754
    Foreign: $454,000,000
    Worldwide: $712,044,754

20. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

This film deserves every nickel it gets

21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Cheapskate :cmad::woot:

22. sueb1863 Registered

Saw this at a discount theater last night. Not a bad crowd, about 35 people, they seemed to enjoy it. At least one person there didn't know who TWS was, when the reveal happened she whispered to her companion in surprise, "Is that Bucky??"

It was a very small local theater, and when I was out in the lobby getting some water one of the kids who worked there was changing the scrolling sign above the doors to the theater to read "Captain America". He was using a handheld device and was joking with the young girls who were working the concession stand, and for a few moments the sign read "CAPTAIN MURICA". :) The girl at the stand told him to change it to the right name, though.

23. TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Domestic: $258,258,222
    Foreign: $454,317,000
    Worldwide:
    $712,575,222

24. JoCucumber Bang Bang Chitty

well it was my 4th time over all...lol

It was packed though, and i was shocked by how many people were surprised at the Fury death and Bucky reveal...

25. JoCucumber Bang Bang Chitty

So they finally updated the foreign numbers? You always seem pretty spot on...what do you think we can expect from second run overseas?