Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarkyStark Registered

TDK is an overrated boring crap w/o joker :cwink:

or should i say w/o ledger's death lol

2. Paladin-Hoss Registered

Even though i agree with you, i feel obligated to say this:

Prepare youself! They are coming for you now!

:cwink:

3. DarthDorranceBane Registered

I love this film, but no need to belittle another film to feel special.

4. Loki882 Registered

God, does everyone of these discussion have to degenerate in DC vs. Marvel, it's long since gotten really old.

5. DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

Don't kill me but...

...I don't get why so many people consider this one of the best comic book films. It's definitely better than 'the First Avenger' but saying that it's better than 'the Dark Knight' is pretty extreme. 'The Dark Knight' had one of the most compelling performances in recent cinematic history, let alone in a comic-based movie. It was a lot more thought-provoking and will be considered more timeless than 'Winter Soldier' will be.

What I DID like about Winter Soldier was the Winter Soldier himself. He wasn't just a throw-away bad guy like Darth Maul. They made Captain America the center of attention and that's one thing it has over 'the Dark Knight' where Batman took a backseat to the Joker. Black Widow is always nice to see and most of the action was fun to watch.

What I DIDN'T like about Winter Soldier was how predictable everything was and how easily the good guys were able to slip away from the bad guys. There were more than a couple of instances where I thought to myself "really?!" such as when Nick Fury used the torch device to cut into the street to escape from the Winter Soldier and how Cap was able to leave the bunker so fast and conveniently after being bombed to hell. Those moments made the movie feel too cartoony for my taste. It feels like those moments weren't thought out very well. I also would've liked them to explore the Winter Soldier more. He was basically a superpowered grunt. I didn't feel there was enough dept to the character to make him compelling other than the obvious.

Anyway, it's a fun movie to be sure and I really enjoyed watching it....but I honestly don't understand how so many people think this movie is so great. I feel like it's a GOOD movie, but it's far from GREAT. If I would rate it from 1 to 10 I'd give it a 6.8.

6. Paladin-Hoss Registered

Opinions...

Some of us do think it's beter than TDK

Sacrilegious...i know

7. Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

It's just an opinion. There are people who hate movies that are raved about and love movies that are hated on. There's no point in questioning it. Some people do think TWS is better than TDK but it's hardly the consensus.

8. Whiskey Tango Registered

Imo if you remove Heath Ledger's performance from TDK you're left with a pretty mediocre film, and I say that as a huge Nolan fan. I think Begins is the best of that trilogy by far and I enjoyed Cap 2 quite a bit more than even it.

A week ago I called Cap 2 the best superhero film ever made and I stand by it. Whether I'll say the same thing a year from now remains to be seen, but 7 days later and I'm still abuzz over it and that tells me something.

9. Just_Human Registered

Something cool I have noticed:

- (CA:TFA) Colonel Philips : "You don't get to give me orders"

- (CA:TWS) Nick Fury : "Looks like you're giving me orders now Cap"

:woot:

10. Mysteryman Registered

Just as some people who enjoyed TDK think it is one of the best CBMs,
    People who enjoyed TWS feel the same way about that movie .
    It seems logical to me .

11. LostSon88 Registered

Took about 70 years though, lol.

12. DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

I enjoyed both...it doesn't have to be a matter of choosing sides. I enjoyed both for what they are....but I don't feel like 'the Winter Soldier' is in the top 5 CBMs. I'd even rank Spider-Man 2 above it.

13. LostSon88 Registered

That's fine. Don't see why you needed to question others who felt otherwise.

14. DarthDorranceBane Registered

It's fine when the word overrated is being not thrown around easily.

15. Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

I feel the same way about SM2 as you do about TWS but I don't question why a lot of people love SM2 because it's their opinion.

16. DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

Because I don't get it?

I'm not saying that people who feel that way are wrong to feel that way. I'm just expressing my opinion like everyone else. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just saying that I don't understand why it's being getting such critical praise. Feel free to engage or ignore as you wish. :cwink:

Why is it so wrong to question? If there's anything 'the Winter Soldier' should've taught anyone it's to not be afraid to question the status quo. :yay:

17. Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

Well it's really hard to question opinions on entertainment because it's all to do with taste. Some people like Marvel's formula better than Nolan's formula so will have a tendency to rate Marvel films higher.

If I said "I don't understand why you don't find it great, it's amazing" we'd go nowhere.

18. DarthDorranceBane Registered

Like I've said, opinions are fine if they didn't include the word overrated and belittles another film.

19. DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

And that's fine. I wasn't really questioning people's taste more than I was just expressing my confusion. I just don't find it to be a great film and it's baffling to me how it's considered by a great many to be the best superhero movie. Again...just expressing my opinion that I, personally, don't feel that way at all. It's definitely a fun film that aspires to be a great film...it just misses on multiple levels in my eyes.

20. Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

"A great many" is a huge exaggeration.

21. Infinity9999x Registered

For me personally, it's because TWS had a very engaging story. A fun bit of mystery that, even if you could guess some of the twists (Pierce being the big bad) they still threw some in there that I don't think anyone called. (Shield being infiltrated by Hydra). Add on to that, it explored themes that are very relevant today. The concept of people being willing to surrender liberties to feel secure has been a reoccurring point in humanities history, and is especially prevalent in a post 9/11 American Society.

And despite dealing with some surprisingly socially relevant themes, the movie never forgot what it was. It has easily some of the best, if not the best, action sequences in any superhero film, and had good heart and humor instilled into it. Each character in the film had a solid arc, and this was the first Marvel film that really managed to flesh out Fury and Widow, something the MCU sorely needed.

Would I put it about TDK? Probably not. TDK was a special beast, and the Joker is my all time favorite comic villain. And no one can deny that Heath gave an awe-inspiring performance. However, the plot of TWS is right up there next to TDK for me. It's only under TDK and possibly The Avengers for best all time Superhero flick in my book.

22. TheHighlander The Only One

TDK gaves us a well developed villain. Even before his film. It gave us a very decent story. A story about characters not about situations. That made the movie so great. Great performances by pretty much everyone.... The movie was not without its flaws but it was very enjoyable...

This movie lacked this development with TWS. At least CA was on the center stage and they really developed his character.

#972 TheHighlander, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  23. DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

Thank you, Infinity9999x...that's was incredibly insightful and managed to make me admire the film a little more. Kudos to you, good sir!

24. DarthDorranceBane Registered

I'm actually with you Dorky :cwink:. I love TDK, I love TWS, but then some poster calls TDK overrated and that's how this discussion started.

25. TheHighlander The Only One

Agree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.