Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]476541[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]475803[/split]

3. DorkyFresh

DorkyFresh Sum Dum Goy

I understand that..and I agree with it. Despite the numerous flaws in SM2, X2, Iron Man, Thor, Thor: Dark World, Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, and First Class I am able to enjoy those movies for what they are. I've also stated multiple times that 'Winter Soldier' is a fun movie.

4. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Yay, new thread!

5. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

They established Falcon's wings (subtly) early on in the movie when Sam and Steve are bonding.

6. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

No they didn't.

They had him tell us he was part of an airborne division.

That is akin, in this movie, to setting up a punchline. It is not the development of a concept as unique as a jetpack with wings.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  7. Whiskey Tango

And Zola was established as a mad scientist with crazy tech in the first film.

8. Ms. Marvel

An Easter egg in TFA shows Zola's blueprints for an android version of himself.

9. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

*peeks into shiny new thread…*

*sees a BATS vs. TWS discussion…*

LOLNOPE!

10. The Guard

That is hardly a satisfying explanation for the concept of being able to transfer one's consciousness/brain/whatever into a computer.

11. Whiskey Tango

Yup. Waiting for C Lee or Spider-Fan to make it all go away.

12. CoherentChaos

CoherentChaos Well-Known Member

Oh the quality of TIH is evident. In fact, every scene leading up to the bottling plant Hulk-out felt like it belonged in some art house indie film. Add to that the somewhat redundant, but very humanizing deleted scenes

I think the problem is that those qualities don't sell well. Ang's Hulk had those qualities up to 11 and flopped because of it. People apparently got bored of it easily. What Hulk apparently needs in order to have a successful franchise is to have fun, well paced movies. I think that can be achieved without sacrificing too much of the soul however. Just look at TWS, how it deals with serious issues, and even has a stoic, incorruptible protagonist, yet manages to be a huge blockbuster hit, and as you said, part of a more enjoyable movie.

That being said, your analysis of Steve as a protagonist is rather spot on. I almost wonder if the GA would connect with Bruce more if he too were a courageous hero despite his self doubts. No more running, no more being afraid. He still has to be careful, and is riddled with self doubt, but I think if he were portrayed as being much more proactive than reactive super hero, he could carry a financially successful solo movie.

13. Suzanne78

I don't know if this was posted (and… um, fair warning, there is a lot of comparison of Cap to other non-DC heroes), but it does expound on the points being made above, i.e. what makes Captain America an appealing hero, and what the Vulture article published last week gets wrong -- the Vulture thing posited that Cap could only be interesting if he was a jerk. So basically, if he was Millar's Ult. Cap.

The Escapist's response: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11264-Captain-America-Vs-The-Tyranny-Of-Dark

14. Ms. Marvel

I hate Ult. Cap. Not just because he's a jerk but because he's everything a lot of people mistake 616 and even movie Cap for.

15. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't need explanations for any of those gadgets either. It would be like wanting an in-depth explanation of every one of James Bond's gadgets. I know that he's a spy in a world where these cool gadgets can be made. That's all I need to know. I don't need to know why each specific one was made, what the logic behind them was ect.

16. Suzanne78

Right. Millar's Cap isn't really interesting for me. Personally, I love that movie (and 616) Cap is such a decent guy -- not racist, not sexist, not completely immersed in jingoism -- because, honestly, it makes him a hero for all, for everyone all over the world. This is exactly how I see Supes too. Both are special individuals, powerful beings, constantly striving to do the right thing.

They're both so endearing to me for that very reason.

17. Suzanne78

I think it helps that all the advanced tech stuff looks pretty uniform and consistent as well. On AoS and the IM movies, as well as Fury's Car in TWS and Pierce's computer wall, it all has the similar transparent glow (the bluish-green with a little bit of color mixed in…) that Tony's AI had in the very first IM movie, so for me, that really set the stage for the things that would come in future movies.

Also, I know it's a point of consternation for some, but having things based on some sort of Stark Industries arc reactor tech or Stark Industries itself (isn't that who made Falcon's jetpack) allows the audience to handwave much of the implausible stuff. Not everyone, for sure, as The Guard demonstrates, but I do think as a device it works really well. Sure it runs the risk of having people tire of Tony Stark but it helps keep the tech aspect of the Marvel Studio movies on an even keel and thus the movies don't get bogged down with exposition that takes away from the stories or the character.

18. PacificBoy

PacificBoy Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know what relevant themes you think can be explored through a more elaborate characterization of the Falcon exosuit.

19. Paladin-Hoss

Paladin-Hoss Well-Known Member

Ahhh...this brings back memories of when The Avengers just came out and everybody was enjoying the succes...

And then come 'those people'that try to convince you either that the movie was overrated...or that it has bigger issues that we just refused to acknowledged

Especially wen compared to a certain 'cinematic masterpiece'that shall not be named...

20. The Guard

Not just the suit...Falcon himself.

21. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Pretty much, the trolling is reaching peak levels about now.

22. PacificBoy

PacificBoy Well-Known Member

Ah ok, similar question though: What relevant themes do you think Falcon and his suit can explore?

23. DarthDorranceBane

DarthDorranceBane Well-Known Member

The problem was previously released films were always being brought up and compared to a new film and to feel special about the new film, the old films are being belittled, being called overrated.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  24. Suzanne78

Addressed to The Guard:

Given that they explored Falcon as a war vet/PTSD survivor/counselor who lost his own wingman and connected with Steve in that fashion, I'm not sure what else you'd want the film to explore. TWS used its 130 mins. quite effectively, IMO. A great balance of character moments and development and action. The Steve and Sam bond was one highlight. My opinion, of course.

But I'm kind of at a loss at what other themes they could've explored with Falcon that was relevant to the Winter Soldier story and to Steve Rogers' development.

Conversely, people bring up older films to discredit the accomplishments of a new film. It, unfortunately, works both directions.

25. DarthDorranceBane

DarthDorranceBane Well-Known Member

Backthread and read how this whole discussion started, and tell me who lit the fuse.