The Winter Soldier Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 2

Yeah I agree with that, I was just pointing out TIH was also quite dark and serious in tone.

The Incredible Hulk was darker, but the structure of the film was neatly put together as is The Winter Soldier storyline. However The Hulk had great action, and the story was at time good but there was also weak point in the second half before the final 3rd act showdown between Hulk vs. Abomination in Harlem . In The Winter Soldier it was solid all the way around from start to finish.

How was TIH a darker film than TWS? :huh:

Agreed. Tone wise, Cap 2 is by far the MCU's most unique film. Distinctly more dark and serious in tone than most of their films.

I personally prefer the tone of Cap 2 to the other ones. I think it has struck the right balance. IM3 (and Thor 2) was getting almost into broad comedy/ spoofishness. Cap 3 has a certain weight to it, while still being appealing to kids. I don't really want to be cringing at some of these movies when the humour gets too much.

I personally prefer the tone of Cap 2 to the other ones. I think it has struck the right balance. IM3 (and Thor 2) was getting almost into broad comedy/ spoofishness. Cap 3 has a certain weight to it, while still being appealing to kids. I don't really want to be cringing at some of these movies when the humour gets too much.

Thor 2 wasn't nearly as bad as IM3. The humor wasn't unwelcome until the climax. Before that they gave the scenes that needed weight actual weight. Iron man 3 had the hero (or his suit) doing slapstick as soon as the action got good or it seemed like suspense was gonna build.

But tone wise, cap 2 is the best so far. Even better then the avengers.

Last edited:
It seemed like the first cap was a slave to the rest of the continuity. This movie seems to have flipped that status.

The tone is Winter Soldier is one of the best assets this movie has. Once you get the tone right, once you win the audience, you can do almost whatever you want.

Overall, I never mind the humour in the MCU. The only time I thought it was 'off' was Darcy and the intern kissing during the final battle in Thor: The Dark World. That was the only time I really felt it wasn't working. Humour in the MCU is what puts the franchise in another level, it makes it work. This movies are supposed to be fun.

Thor 2 wasn't nearly as bad as IM3. The humor wasn't unwelcome until the climax. Before that they gave the scenes that needed weight actual weight. Iron man 3 had the hero (or his suit) doing slapstick as soon as the action got good or it seemed like suspense was gonna build.

But tone wise, cap 3 is the best so far. Even better then the avengers.

I agree on this. I felt that IM3 just launched into it from the get go. And yet the trailer made it feel like it might have a more serious tone, which, if it had been like Cap 2, would've been very welcomed. But even if it had gone back to the tone of IM1 that would have been fine as well.

And if you mean Cap 2, then yes, that tone was better than the Avengers. Cap 3 hasn't been made yet. :oldrazz:

And if you mean Cap 2, then yes, that tone was better than the Avengers. Cap 3 hasn't been made yet. :oldrazz:
Cap 3 hasn't been made yet, indeed. :oldrazz:

Agreed, IM3 and Thor 2 were really brought down as movies through their choice of humour and using it in totally the wrong places. Thankfully Cap 2 got this aspect spot on. The humour used was great, and it never interrupted the important stuff. The tone in Cap 2 is just spot on and much more of what I hope to see in the MCU going forward.

I went to see Captain America:The Winter soldier yesterday and boy did I have a great time. This is probably my favorite Marvel Studios film. The tone of the movie was unlike any other Marvel Studio film. The humor was appropriate at certain times and not overwhelming like other Marvel Studio films. The action was insane, the fighting clips were very well choreographed from what I noticed and cool. The story itslelf was unique and interesting which made it fun to follow along with. Overall this was a very good enyoyable Marvel Studio film, and I can't wait for the next one. I give it a 9/10 but may be higher once I buy the DVD or see it again at theater.

Cap's fighting was improved. Like he learned more. He seemed more powerful. The fight scenes were really great. I liked this cap. When he was in a situation I knew he would dominate. This cap is the best cap I have seen yet. Seeing falcon fly around was cool, but I still liked seeing cap fight. This movie will make anyone who was coming in from the avengers a cap fan for sure.

Seems to me like he was trained by SHIELD. While he had so much potential, basic punches and kicks were enough for WWII. But with training in various Martial Arts (4, according to the Facebook page), he's pretty much unstoppable by any non-metahuman.

If I had to guess the 4 martial arts used, I'd say it looked like Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jujitsu, and maybe Kickboxing.

If I had to guess the 4 martial arts used, I'd say it looked like Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jujitsu, and maybe Kickboxing.

I'm pretty sure what Cap was using was Kickassanese. The Russo's looked at the fight scenes and said how bad ass can we make this fight scene.

It makes a lot of sense that he pick up a lot of modern h2h skills very quickly in the time since he was thawed. As far as I know MA really hadn't caught on in the west yet during early WW2. Come to think of it I don't really know what WW2 GI's were taught.

Don't forget Shieldjitsu as well. ;)

Speaking of the shield, they used it so damn well! In TFA and TA, all we got was blocking and the occasional shield toss (which usually wasn't even effective).

Just from the top of my head, these moments with the shield were fantastic.

-That twisting jump-throw on the Lemurian star (man, that sequence had some great shield action)

-The way he threw it at Batroc through the window was awesome. The whole audience gasped at the velocity and unexpectedness of that moment.

-Using it to ram through doors when chasing WS, complete with the WS catch and throw back.

-Using it to jump from the Triskelion and landing about 25 stories below.

-Using it to take down the Quinjet. I think that scene was one of the best in showing just how skilled Cap is.

-Deflecting bullets back at the WS's henchmen, and then using it in the fight with Bucky. Awesome moment of Bucky holding the shield, and that fierce throw that penetrated the van.

Overall, it was just used so perfectly.

Watched it!
My reaction:

2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

As much as it pains me as Thor fan, I must admit that CA: WS is way better and more well constructed movie than Thor: The Dark World or any of Marvel Phase 1 & Phase 2 movies. Watching this movie feels like not watching a superhero movie, but more thrilled action like Bourne or Bond movies.

The Russo Brothers really nailed the Cap character perfectly. Whether when Cap is super soldier or when he's man out of time Steve Rogers.

And again this is where it hurts me, Cap's supporting cast such as Sam Wilson did not suffer the same fate as Thor's supporting casts like Hogun, Fandrall, Sif, Volstagg. Even the small role cast as Sharon Carter & Brock Rumlow have their shining moment in this movie. And how i'm glad Rumlow survived at the end of the movie to become Crossbones in Cap 3 :)

For the action, Cap destroyed a Quinjet probably the best action scene done by a single Marvel hero in cinema (it was reminded me of how Cap disarmed AIM's jet in Brubaker's Winter Soldier arc), and when Cap jumping off from the lift in Triskelion reminded me of Civil War #1 when Cap escaped in similar way.

For the iconic shot, I really loved when Cap & Falcon running and then jumped and flying at the same time was the best iconic shot in Marvel cinema (tied to the shot when Thor jumping off the rooftop to catch Mjolnir in The Dark World)

And the end roll scene....Oh oh....Baron ....and the Twins!!!!!

Conclusion: I dare to say this is probably the best Marvel solo movie (second only to The Avengers), and once again it hurts me as Thor fan to say, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was better than both Thor & Thor: The Dark World.

And how i really hope Marvel Studios threat Thor as they did Cap in this movie, a successful attempt in dig deeper into Cap's mythology....I really wish Marvel do that to Thor in Thor 3.

Last edited:
As much as it pains me as Thor fan, I must admit that CA: WS is way better and more well constructed movie than Thor: The Dark World or any of Marvel Phase 1 & Phase 2 movies. Watching this movie feels like not watching a superhero movie, but more thrilled action like Bourne or Bond movies.

The Russo Brothers really nailed the Cap character perfectly. Whether when Cap is super soldier or when he's man out of time Steve Rogers.

And again this is where it hurts me, Cap's supporting cast such as Sam Wilson did not suffer the same fate as Thor's supporting casts like Hogun, Fandrall, Sif, Volstagg. Even the small role cast as Sharon Carter & Brock Rumlow have their shining moment in this movie. And how i'm glad Rumlow survived at the end of the movie to become Crossbones in Cap 3 :)

For the action, Cap destroyed a Quinjet probably the best action scene done by a single Marvel hero in cinema (it was reminded me of how Cap disarmed AIM's jet in Brubaker's Winter Soldier arc), and when Cap jumping off from the lift in Triskelion reminded me of Civil War #1 when Cap escaped in similar way.

For the iconic shot, I really loved when Cap & Falcon running and then jumped and flying at the same time was the best iconic shot in Marvel cinema (tied to the shot when Thor jumping off the rooftop to catch Mjolnir in The Dark World)

And the end roll scene....Oh oh....Baron ....and the Twins!!!!!

Conclusion: I dare to say this is probably the best Marvel solo movie (second only to The Avengers), and once again it hurts me as Thor fan to say, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was better than both Thor & Thor: The Dark World.

And how i really hope Marvel Studios threat Thor as they did Cap in this movie, a successful attempt in dig deeper into Cap's mythology....I really wish Marvel do that to Thor in Thor 3.

Yeah, unfortunately Thor TDW did not live up to expectation. I thought the movie was doing well, but once Thor & Jane went back to Earth the movie began to fall apart. And the antics done by Darcy and the intern just reduced a climatic scene into a comedic one instead. Sif and the Warriors 3 could've provided the same kind of support as BW and Falcon did for Cap in TWS, but they were criminally underused. I really hope Marvel will not squandered away their last solo Thor movie with Hemsworth, and really give us a Thor sequel to be proud of.

Yeah, unfortunately Thor TDW did not live up to expectation. I thought the movie was doing well, but once Thor & Jane went back to Earth the movie began to fall apart. And the antics done by Darcy and the intern just reduced a climatic scene into a comedic one instead. Sif and the Warriors 3 could've provided the same kind of support as BW and Falcon did for Cap in TWS, but they were criminally underused. I really hope Marvel will not squandered away their last solo Thor movie with Hemsworth, and really give us a Thor sequel to be proud of.

I still loved Thor: The Dark World...and eventhough It didn't bugged me as much as many users here, but i enjoyed Kat Denning's comical performance, regardless i thought the kissing scene with her intern was so unnecessary. And after watching The Winter Soldier, given how well Falcon & Black Widow (and the rest) had been handled, I could not resist to think that Marvel could've done so much better with the supporting casts in The Dark World as well. The more i think about it, Marvel has dropped the ball for underusing The Warriors Three & Sif in TDW. And this is what pains me as Thor fan.

But the chances are still lies with Thor 3. I have faith Craig Kyle & Christopher Yost could make a great and epic final Thor movie given their resume...and I didn't mind if Alan Taylor comes back (i think he did an amazing job bringing Asgard more authentic) , he could bring what the Russo's did to Cap 2 if Marvel gives him more freedom to make his vision.

Anyway, back to Cap...
The only minus point i have with The Winter Soldier is the music!
Doesnt mean the score is bad, but the impact of the score isn't as big and epic as Thor: The Dark World , Iron Man 3, or The Avengers...even the score from The First Avenger is more memorable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"