The Winter Soldier Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the 8:30 pm sneak preview showing. There were maybe 20 people in the theater.

I LOVED it! It's exactly what I want from a Cap movie...espionage, political intrigue, great action. All of the characters get their chance to shine.

My ONE complaint about the film is that it had a tendency to do that James Bond gimmick of the bad guy revealing all of the plans to the good guy. But that's a minor annoyance that knocks it below Avengers and Iron Man in my rankings, but it's still above everything else Marvel has done.

I'm not sure what story there is to tell for the next film. The movie ends with the winter soldier no longer being much of a bad guy.

You do remember that in the comic the same thing happened. He wasn't a bad guy anymore and became good once again....

But didn't Stane and Loki eventually reveal their plans too?

But didn't Stane and Loki eventually reveal their plans too?

Most villains do. Because they believe they will get away with it so they wanna brag about it before they actually complete their mission and kill the hero. It's really done constantly and not a problem so I don't get heretics complaint but whatever

Fan-****ing-tastic. You could tell every department involved in this movie worked their asses off - particularly writing/directing-wise.

yes, I agree. You could have taken Bucky out of this story...and it wouldn't of affected ANYTHING that was going on plot-wise.
Um not really, tho? Bucky is the reason why Steve was so angry and so adamant that Shield had to be completely destroyed. Remember the whole conversation where Fury was trying to argue and Steve brought up "and how many people paid the price" (referring to Bucky)?
Not to mention the finale would have been pretty generic if he wasn't facing off against his best friend and trying to simultaneously save him as well as stop Hydra's plans. Aaaand you've got the beautifully dark picture painted by the idea that over the years Hydra was secretly undoing all of Steve's good work (and the 'good' Shield's work) by wielding his best friend, the "long dark shadow of Captain America", as their weapon.

I just can't fathom that anyone could think Bucky (and in particular what he represents) wasn't important to this story. I recommend reading this really awesome and thought provoking bit of meta one of my favorite bloggers just posted tonight to see what I mean. (also I think that same person is going to post an even longer review later which I'm really looking forward to - she writes amazing things about these characters :))

Most villains do. Because they believe they will get away with it so they wanna brag about it before they actually complete their mission and kill the hero. It's really done constantly and not a problem so I don't get heretics complaint but whatever
Right I was just wondering why that specifically put Cap2 behind IM and the Avengers for him.

For those complaining about the name, please read. First of all, it did adapt The Winter Soldier story, as part of something bigger, but besides that...

The phrase "winter soldier" is inspired by one of the founding fathers, Thomas Paine, who wrote an article after our troops spent a particularly harsh winter trying to win our freedom. The article started with: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." The Winter Soldier is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty and fights through any adversity. Captain America is ALSO a Winter Soldier.

Maybe not that title but something other than Winter Soldier. The Winter Soldier is virtually a henchman in this movie and not much else, the fact it was Bucky really didn't play into the story all that much. I honestly don't see the point in calling this film The Winter Soldier because he plays such a minor part in the whole story, it feels more like the next film should have been called that given how it finishes.

Whaaaat? The Winter Soldier was essential to the films success. He brought the badassery, the cool factor, the intensity, and the emotion. I honesty can't see how people think he wasn't important to the story, when coming out of the theater everyone kept talking about him!

For those complaining about the name, please read. First of all, it did adapt The Winter Soldier story, as part of something bigger, but besides that...

The phrase "winter soldier" is inspired by one of the founding fathers, Thomas Paine, who wrote an article after our troops spent a particularly harsh winter trying to win our freedom. The article started with: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." The Winter Soldier is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty and fights through any adversity. Captain America is ALSO a Winter Soldier.

Wow, nice. Thank you.

Amazing movie. 9/10 for me, better than The Avengers by far.

My thoughts:
-The bromance between Sam and Cap was great. Anthony Mackie did a great job, the guy has a lot of charisma and definitely eclipsed War Machine in the Iron Man films.
-Great performance by Scarlett . She appears to be more comfortable in her role as BW and she plays all sides of the character masterfully with a lot of charm.
-Chris Evans is Captain America. Nuff said.
-Villains wise; Winter Soldier is obviously a certified badass. Better then Loki, intimidation wise by far. I liked Redford as Pierce but he didn't really have much to do. The execution of the maid was pretty cruel. Batroc was also awesome, hope he makes future appearances. I was kind of let down by Rumlow but mainly because he isn't Crossbones yet and didn't get to show how badass the character really is . Grillo was still entertaining though.
-Best action in a Marvel movie yet. I'm amazed at how they made Cap's fighting style look so brutally efficient.
-That post credits scene. I was surprised to see Strucker with the monocle.
-And finally, Samuel was at his best. I'm glad they gave Nick Fury a lot to do in this movie. The car shoot out was amazing.

Yeah Chris IS Captain America. That speech he gave over the intercom was perfect Cap.

Just saw it and all I can say is WOW. It was perfection. The sheer quality of the film was outstanding. This is Marvel's finest achievement, second to none.

Whaaaat? The Winter Soldier was essential to the films success. He brought the badassery, the cool factor, the intensity, and the emotion. I honesty can't see how people think he wasn't important to the story, when coming out of the theater everyone kept talking about him!

The fact it was Bucky didn't really play into the story to any great degree, in fact it's almost an afterthought. If he was the backbone of the film I would agree with you the subtitle would be apt, but he doesn't deserve the subtitle of the film because in the end it's not a film about The Winter Soldier, if anything it's about Alexander Payne. Winter Soldier may have been a cool character but who he is in this film is rather unimportant to the overall story, if anything a proper Winter Soldier story is set up at the end of the film.

Last edited:
Ok...where did this come from???

I wasn't giving this movie much thought at all. This movie was barely on my radar. Was far more interested in Guardians of the Galaxy this year. Kinda went to see it tonight on a whim.

Wow...I loved it!

I thought it had the perfect blend of action (holy ****...Capt is a serious badass in this! Batman should fight that well in the movies but he doesn't), emotion (yeah...I choked up once), humor (not too much...but it seemed to hit the right spots), special effects (there to serve the story), and story. Everything seemed to be there to serve the story.

It was like a mix of James Bond, political drama, and super heroes. Certain familiar characters were really fleshed out in this movie. Chris Evans is just charismatic....that can't be bought or sold.

Glad I avoided trailers too. (Partially due to lack of interest) Every scene was fresh for me.

Minor quibble with the editing style on the fight scenes but I still loved them. ...Just felt like I wanted to see more of some really great stunt work.

I might have to put this above Avengers as my favorite Marvel movie....will wait until the glow wears off. For now, 9.5/10

Saw the 8:30 pm sneak preview showing. There were maybe 20 people in the theater.

I LOVED it! It's exactly what I want from a Cap movie...espionage, political intrigue, great action. All of the characters get their chance to shine.

My ONE complaint about the film is that it had a tendency to do that James Bond gimmick of the bad guy revealing all of the plans to the good guy. But that's a minor annoyance that knocks it below Avengers and Iron Man in my rankings, but it's still above everything else Marvel has done.
I was thinking the exact same thing as that scene unfolded....

..But watch it again and listen at the end. The bad guy admits he was just doing all that to stall them. So for once, that actually had a purpose. They played on the cliche in a subtle way. Other movies might play around with that idea but they would probably make it more obvious.

Captain America: Fallen SHIELD?
Captain America: Who Will Wield SHIELD?
Captain America: Agent of SHIELD?
Captain America: Helicarrier Boogaloo?

Are there any names that doesn't sound super lame or spoilery for this film?

Why does it have to be Captain America anything?

Why does it have to be Captain America anything?
What else would it be? I know TDK did it but many people were already familiar with Batman being called the dark knight.

By the way...I recommend everyone do some reading on the REAL Winter Soldiers. These men had to eat their own shoes for food, and then trudge through the snow barefoot to fight for our independence. A lot of people were against our war for independence, so entire towns would offer no shelter or food. We owe everything we have to the winter soldiers. To me, when you know the history and the concept that anyone can be a patriot when being a patriot is easy...but those who are patriots when it is so hard that you have to eat your shoes...THATS a hero. I truly believe that this movie was communicating the message that Captain America and his allies were the true winter soldiers of the MCU.

Speaking of WS, he was very intimidating. You just knew something was about to go down whenever he showed up. And his mask really made him even creepier.

What else would it be? I know TDK did it but many people were already familiar with Batman being called the dark knight.

See though The Dark Knight wasn't just a title used because it was a nickname of Batman, it was used because it had meaning that related to the movie itself. I'm not overly familiar with Caps mythology to know if there's anything that could be used in a similar way. If not there's no reason a title couldn't have been created just represent the film itself. I'm of the opinion that the whole 'Character Name: Insert Subtitle' thing is somewhat redundant. The posters and ads already tell us who the character is, just give it a title that reflects the film. James Bond has been doing it for years whereby his name has never appeared in the films title. Still, The Winter Solider is a cool subtitle but it's virtually meaningless in this case because it's not really a film about him. It could just as easily have been called Captain America: Falcon .

Was the scene where Steve visited the cemetery cut out of the movie?

See though The Dark Knight wasn't just a title used because it was a nickname of Batman, it was used because it had meaning that related to the movie itself. I'm not overly familiar with Caps mythology to know if there's anything that could be used in a similar way. If not there's no reason a title couldn't have been created just represent the film itself. I'm of the opinion that the whole 'Character Name: Insert Subtitle' thing is somewhat redundant. The posters and ads already tell us who the character is, just give it a title that reflects the film. James Bond has been doing it for years whereby his name has never appeared in the films title. Still, The Winter Solider is a cool subtitle but it's virtually meaningless in this case because it's not really a film about him. It could just as easily have been called Captain America: Falcon .

As I've explained above...Captain America is the Winter Soldier.

Plus...his name is in the title for the same reason his name is on the cover of the comic book instead of the name of each individual story arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"