Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Spider-Fan, Mar 21, 2014.

?

Rate the Movie

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

11. 10

12. 9

13. 8

14. 7

15. 6

16. 5

17. 4

18. 3

19. 2

20. 1

21. 10

22. 9

23. 8

24. 7

25. 6

26. 5

27. 4

28. 3

29. 2

30. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

You and I are clearly on the opposite ends of the spectrum here ;)
    Why do you think IM3 is that bad?

2. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Great movie. Definitely on the level of the original Iron Man. In the 9/10 range. One of the few Marvel movies that is seriously thought-provoking and relevant in our time. Seemingly huge impact on the MCU.

Peggy, Bucky and Zola were all perfectly utilized.
    Falcon, Romanoff, Fury and Hill were very successfully utilized.
    Pierce, though not an amazing character was made extremely intriguing by Redford's acting skills.

mid and post credits scenes were worth my time. All very exciting.

3. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

Obviously not. Because the one i saw had a great character arc for Tony Stark where he realises HE is Iron Man, with or without the suit, following on from what Rogers said to him in Avengers. With one of the best portrayals of PTSD in a hollywood film. Had imaginative action scenes. And a plot that was genuinely unpredictable.

Green Lantern had one of the worst character arcs a leading character has ever had. A plot that was by the numbers and cookie cutter. And terrible CGI action scenes.

4. Stringer

Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Seriously get out of here with the IM3 talk. No one's thinking about that right now.

5. thalidomide

thalidomide The Enemy

I remember my gf saying "wth that guy is still alive?!?!" You know something's gonna go down when he and The Winter Soldier pops up :)

6. Snow Queen

I don't know about them, but I do it every day. Often. Talking to my best friend, for example. However, lack of conversation about guys may in part be due to me being a lesbian, but who knows. XD

I agree. It's not the greatest thing on a case by case basis, but I think it does work when evaluating the industry as a whole. As I said, it's just an annoyance to me. A film isn't good because it passes (ex. Catwoman...ugh) or bad if it fails (ex. this film), but, as I said, I really just find it annoying in most cases. Though, here I just give it a pass since the characters were portrayed fantastically (major step up for Johansson's performance as well, I thought), but that doesn't mean I still don't find it irritating.

7. Flint Marko

"Go play in traffic"? Come on, we're discussing comic book films...

8. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

You don't have to explain yourself of course, I would be interested in how much of your dislike for it revolves around The Mandarin, just a percentage answer would be enough. :)

9. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

That's what's so perfect about him. He's a plain, simple, hero thrust into an impossible situation. He makes everyone want to be better people.

Damn, I love my Steve Rogers. And actually, I find him a ton more appealing in the movies than I do in the comics these days.

10. Son of Coul

Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

Bwahaha, great moment. I wonder how all of this will tie into AOS considering the previously aired episode.

Sentiment echoed. At the very least it gives filmmakers something to consider and recognize during the writing and development process, but that's also maybe what it should be at most.

11. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm curious to know why you think IM3 is as bad as GL. On a technical film making level that does not come down to opinion, they are night and day. IM3 is superior.

Whether you enjoy it or not is your opinion and that's fine.

12. Stringer

Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Yeah these movies remind me why I used to love him so much when I was younger. The scene where they're in the bunker deciding what to do with SHIELD and they all follow Caps lead is wonderful.

Oh and I love the indication that Falcon will always be by his side from now on.

13. Son of Coul

Scaling it against the other MCU films, this is also probably the most well-directed; regardless of where it stands overall. Other than the occasional shaky-cam shot, all the choices made just seemed so right. Like the best directors for the MCU so far, it's clear they had a specific vision, and I'd say they executed theirs best so far.

Score was really solid too; not in a memorable theme or distinct sound kind of way - it did its job in a very effective way. Had shades of David Porter's Breaking Bad intensity that played well, including that echoey screech that seemed to be a motif of the Winter Soldier.

14. Heretic

Heretic Registered

Thanks, glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels like the American historical symbolism of the title makes the character's arcs feel even more impactful. To me, in a Captain America movie, when something as important as the American Revolutionary War is used as a theme, it is done so intentionally.

I hadn't really given much thought to the comparison that both were on ice. Maybe it's a triple entendre???

And I agree...we definitely didn't need a cheesy title like the one you posted.

15. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

In a way, it very much harkened back to the 70's thrillers, especially during the car chase scenes. Moments that maybe others thought bland and uninspired really, really worked in setting the tone for those street scenes, IMO.

16. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Audience reaction:

1. The crowd went nuts when Strange was mentioned.

I loved the reveal

Of Zola. Seriously. That scene was worth the price of admission alone.

Damn, what a wonderful film!

17. UltraSuperGuy

UltraSuperGuy Registered

Well, you see that makes sense to me that you wouldn't then. If your significant other is another woman, I can see how the topic of conversation would never involve men.

I know as a heterosexual guy, both heterosexual women AND men are always going to be talking about their significant other in a conversation, because they are SIGNIFICANT others! Makes sense, I think!

18. Son of Coul

The most "badass" part of Cap and Tony to me personally is, and always has been in the movies, their proactive nature in times of crisis. Whether their suffering out-of-time angst, a PTSD identity crisis, or just being tortured, they don't sulk when stuck in a ****** situation. They almost immediately buck up and tackle it head on (sometimes literally). It's an attitude I really wish people would apply more, even in daily life scenarios - at least those who have a good head on their shoulders.

19. Flint Marko

My crowd ate it up.
    Ate. It. Up.
    Laughed at all the right beats, went nuts at a handful of the nerd moments...
    I'm going to see it again with an audience that's not a midnight premiere crowd and judge their reactions but I don't see it being much different.

20. UltraSuperGuy

UltraSuperGuy Registered

I won't go into spoilers but it did everything I would want in a Captain America movie:

1. FINALLY show Captain America fight like he fights in the comics.
    2. Show Cap's ability to inspire and arouse people to action.
    3. Show that Cap isn't just some pawn or good soldier following orders, he's going to leave the reservation if he feels it's wrong. Cap is non-corruptible, and that's really his greatest strength.
    4. Timely political commentary. The best writers for Cap have always used the fact that he's a man from a different era to comment on our present era, that's done well here.
    5. Show Cap's willingness to drop his shield and risk his life based on his conviction alone.

Great character moments, great bonding between him and Sam Wilson, and most of all, the best action in a Marvel film second only to the Avengers.

21. Son of Coul

I didn't have many people in my theater. Some were fairly annoying stoner teens, but even they got excited and started muttering to each other when that name was dropped. :woot:

22. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

More than enough. :up: I disagree with everything you said but I respect your right to an opinion. :cwink:

23. Son of Coul

Good points. And for me, the climax of Avengers tops TWS's climax while the car chases/action beats preceding it here top most of the earlier TA fights.

I knew there'd be restrained humor in this but there was even less than expected; in terms of them being mostly limited to witty quips. Best joke beat for me:
    "Air Conditioning fully functional."
    Great balance though, and should finally shush some people who are insistent that all MCU movies share a singular tone or have developed one in the last two years.

I'm also glad the grit and generally serious nature was completely open to embracing the spirit and general outlandishness of the comics. It wasn't restricted by its commitment to realism; the thriller aspect was committed to as a tone more than a bible and for that it prospered. I know some people here really seem to like TDK's tone but hate its shying away from the craziness of the source material, and that certainly isn't a problem here as they hit both notes really well.

24. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Mod promoting off topic discussion. :o

25. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

Just got back from the midnight premier, and I absolutely LOVED this movie! Glad I got my vote in before the poll closed with the new thread. I don't have any gripes with the movie itself although I thought the 3D was lacking and too dark in the beginning boat scene. It was pretty much all fanboys in the theater from what I could tell but still a decent crowd especially when you consider there had been 6 showings of this film already since 8 pm tonight.

There was one girl that had no idea about TWS true identity and let out a huge gasp on the reveal which got a pretty big chuckle from the rest of us. Really couldn't have enjoyed this anymore and the mid-credits scene was awesome. The action was on point and I thought the pacing was fantastic. 10/10 in my book, bring on Ultron!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.