Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Spider-Fan, Mar 21, 2014.

?

Rate the Movie

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

11. 10

12. 9

13. 8

14. 7

15. 6

16. 5

17. 4

18. 3

19. 2

20. 1

21. 10

22. 9

23. 8

24. 7

25. 6

26. 5

27. 4

28. 3

29. 2

30. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

:wow: Corruption!

2. Harley2004

Harley2004 Registered

I would say 7.5/10. The fight scenes were amazing, possibly the best yet in these types of movies. Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson both were great throughout. Redford also was really strong.

The ending I thought was too over-the-top, with too many cuts between shots. The Falcon also just did not work as well as Capt. America and the Winter soldier in the the action scenes.

3. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Symbolism.

4. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Registered

Saw it a second time tonight! Even better on round 2. Round 3 is tomorrow night...

though.. something bugged me tonight, nothing big, but just something I think How It Should Have Ended might pick up on...

Why didn't Pierce use his badge/collar shocker device before Widow started releasing data to the public? He had the full chance too for several minutes... I don't know why he didn't.... any ideas? In fact, before Fury got there, he could of taken everyone out in the room at once.... but he didn't... that leaves me scratching my head... ?!? totally missed opportunity dude..

5. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

I believe he was planning to use her for his escape, so he needed her alive.

6. LostSon88

LostSon88 Registered

Yup.

he needed a pilot.

7. Paladin-Hoss

Paladin-Hoss Registered

So...did you liked it?

:woot:

8. Bullseye1

Bullseye1 Registered

Can someone link me to the 3/10 reviews. Wow.

9. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Registered

Pierce need his phone to trigger the badges, and it was out of reach. The entire time he was trolling everyone in the room was so he could subtly move towards the table and take it. But by the time he made his move, the damage was done.

10. Easter Lily

Easter Lily Registered

This film has reinforced in my mind why I've loved and enjoyed these Marvel Studios outings so much. I wouldn't say that they're all of equal quality but one thing I've enjoyed is how character driven they are. The MCU love their characters, embrace them with a joyful glee, warts and all.
    Even while I'm not the biggest fan of Thor, I do love the relationship between Thor and Loki. It's the one thing that brings me back to those movies.

Although I haven't embraced the TWS hype in toto, I continue to love how Steve Rogers is portrayed in these movies. I love how the characterization of Cap drives the direction of the story and that his character isn't made subservient to the plot.

This is not to say that I didn't appreciate the big ideas in the story but it's so good to see Cap embody the very ideals that he was fighting to protect. In that regard the film was a roaring success for me. He was willing to lay down his life to protect the freedom of others, even the man who was trying to kill him... To my mind, he epitomizes the meaning of the word "superhero".

And of course... lots of love for the man who portrays the Captain -- Chris Evans.

11. TWayneP

TWayneP Registered

Def a solid 8.5. Great flick, maybe the best marvel studios solo for me and certainly 5 thousand miles better than IM3 and Thor 2. I'm back on board for Marvel studios. Leave it to Cap.

I still think ASM2 and DOFP will be better, with DOFP being the best.

Still what a way to kick off the spring/summer movie season!

12. peterparker0077

Really.. ok... didn't notice that... i'll keep an eye out for that tomorrow... :)

13. peterparker0077

I thought that at first.. but surely he could of obtained one of his men if just took everyone out in that room.... Saitou's explanation makes more sense, I just didn't pick up on that.

14. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

Widow knocked all of his men out haha. And he obviously doesn't have a license to operate a chopper :D

15. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Registered

It was sorta justified in this case though.

Zola and Pierce were stalling so that they could get the drop on the heroes.

16. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

haha yea the whole scene with Zola was executed perfectly.

17. Red Mask

Red Mask Human Killing Machine

It galls me how critics are putting down the violence in this film. Have they missed the past three decades of blockbuster films?

Thor warned the Avengers about a 'higher form of war'.

Guess what? It's happening. If people can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. But don't say there's nobody around to fight it.

18. GENERAL RAAM582

GENERAL RAAM582 A Rebellion Built on Hope

For the poll, a 9. However, I'm deciding between a 9 or a 9.5 for myself.

19. scifiwolf

scifiwolf Registered

Had the good fortune to see this last night. Still trying to figure out how I felt about it. Some of the execution - from scripting, to acting/directing, down to editing and scoring - were absolutely perfect. Hit the right notes in the moment and in the bigger picture of plot, MCU, theme. Just perfect. They kick the movie off with that perfection. Others, like the execution of Bucky's story, just felt bungled.

I loved the buildup to HYDRA and the Arnim Zola scene. Finally giving Cap a chance to deal with the Man-out-of-Time theme means facing his past, and HYDRA has to be a part of that. The build up to that encounter and then the scene itself was just money. Another big positive for me was characterization. Boy, did Natasha and Nick get some room to play in this. LOVED the way Natasha was written, and Scarlett just nailed it. There are precious few moments where her guard is lowered, and you see just how much she's always been putting on airs and keeping people at a distance since Iron Man 2. You see just how much, even in her displays of vulnerability in The Avengers, she's acting. Takes a lot of skill to pull of that kind of execution, and it really should silence any criticism from Scarlett Johansson's detractors (but it won't). I also mentioned Nick Fury and Sam Jackson. Not as much of a highlight for me as Widow, but so much fun to see. Mackie was good, and Sebastion Stan did his best to pack weight into his few character moments. I thought he pulled his weight, but the writing and direction didn't with respect to Bucky. Finally, nothing but more praise for how Cap is being written and acted. Evens really makes him the man that all us men should aspire to be.

The action, particularly hand-to-hand combat, was simply fun to watch. The fight with Batroc really set the tone for that, and the movie never let up from there. Some excellent sound mixing gave plenty of weight to Bucky's arm. The movie really just falls apart for me a little bit in the narrative in the third act. Well, I suppose it trips and stumbles more than it really falls apart. With so many plot lines in play by that point, and Cap having so many allies again by this point, every story thread feels short changed in trying to service all the other threads. The movie does finish strong moving into the credits, even though it's just a montage that sets up another movie and kind of undoes the standalone nature of the prior 2 hours.

Now that I've had a chance to sit down and bang this out, I would have to say I find The Winter Soldier to be as good as The First Avenger, though TFA is still my favorite.

8/10

20. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

This movie was definitely not for kids. There was a ton of shooting and pretty intense violence. Cap gets shot like 4 times!

21. seishin87

seishin87 Registered

I went to the 3D Double feature and got to see TFA for the first time on the big screen, I missed it back in '11 but bought the dvd and fell in love with the film. It's a different experience from the small screen. It's an epic movie. Anyway enough about TFA, as for TWS, my honest reaction, This movie was made for me. It has a chance at being perhaps my favorite film eventually, I may have to see it a few more times first and who knows, Cap might just bump Batman out of my action/adventure holy trilogy, the other two Bond and Indy.

As far as the plot goes, it's amazing. It's interesting. Having read the comics you could kinda say, things haven't changed. I mean the way the world is viewed/perceived at times. The '70s conspiracy thriller vibe is there and Robert Redford seals the deal. The '70s conspiracy genre spawned by the likes of the Watergate scandal which was it self a big influence on the comic story line Secret Empire and many other story lines to follow. Honestly when I think about the modern Cap comics, conspiracy theory type plots are pretty much typical, i.e Cap's Marvel Knights run, Truth:red,white,black ; Captain America and The Falcon '04/'05. So in that way it's totally true to the comics and also in light of certain things going on in our world today perhaps very topical. I found it odd how there was a trailer for Transcendence and Lucy before the film and then there's the bit with Zola [blackout]digital brain copy[/blackout]. Some really interesting and also spooky concepts. Makes me wonder what's really going on behind the scenes and what they are really capable of. Trans-humanism...immortality could be a round the corner...of at least a possible digital one.

Solid performances from the actors all around. Chris Evan is Cap. Some of the major supporting roles I was impressed with were Grillo as Rumlow, he conveyed that playfully homicidal attitude nicely. Mackie is gonna be a Big Star! Emily as Sharon was sweet. Hopefully they'll develop that more in the next one. I didn't feel like she was underused or anything, a nice set up, tease or hint/nod to Sharon/Cap from the comics. I can see where they could take things in the next installment. Sharon [blackout] now with the CIA could be helpful in keeping tabs on what Cap and Falc are doing offgrid, perhaps tracking down a lead on Bucky now believed employed by a Helmut Zemo[/blackout] :cwink:

Now for the Winter Soldier himself. It's pretty much the character from that point in his arc. He's a blank slate and yeah Evan and Stan really did a great job on selling the heartbreaking angle...end of the line...[blackout]"You're my friend! You're my mission!... So finish it"[/blackout] damn I'll admit that one gave me a lump in my throat. Powerful stuff. Very moving. A very human moment in a superhuman battle of life and death. Beautiful stuff.

As far as the action, damn. Very impressed. It's like Metal Gear, or actually now that it really makes you think, Maybe Kojima reads cap comics? lol The opening with Batroc and the ship seems lifted from a similar situation in an arc where Batroc and Mr Hyde hijacked a Roxxon LNG tanker. The fights were epic. I almost wonder if Marvel read my post in MCU ending battles thread. The helicarrier battle is AMAZING!! And they also were able to squeeze in a few more Raiders references. Another propeller/engine kill and the bit where [blackout]Sitwell[/blackout] gets smashed by the big rig made me think of the Tough Sargent from the Raiders truck chase. I love stuff like that! lol Maybe a reference to the temple of doom rock crusher or the boat propeller from the Last Crusade in Cap 3.

All in all I enjoyed the experience. 10/10 for enjoyment alone. I saw in 3D. Hope to see it again in 2D sometime this weekend or if not maybe sometime in the next week. I lucked out and they had trailers for all the Marvel films this year, TASM2, XmenDOFP, and GOTG. It's indeed looking like a grand slam year for Marvel.

22. DarthSkywalker

And don't forget all the exposition. It is like begging a kid to talk. :funny:

23. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

Just back from watching this... Let me first say that they (Russo Bros.) have done a lot of hard work in making this movie.

They have got many things right, The musical score, the themes, the setting, The cast and action scenes.

But is it the best Marvel Studios movie so far ? No, Still Iron Man and Avengers are the two best out there, this one is third best.

Why ? It's just my opinion but they could have allowed more space for the emotional scenes and the story itself is weak...while the stakes are high, it doesn't feel that way. I enjoyed The Falcon scenes more then Cap's action scenes.

My rating - 7/10.

#973 Micromind, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  24. Big V

Big V Registered

What is with the spoiler tags in the SPOILERS section?? Makes searching for things like "credits" to find out about the post-credit scene and "Zola" to find out more about that reveal very difficult!

25. DarthSkywalker

Courtesy and mod orders I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.