Captain America Trilogy vs. the Avengers Quadrilogy

I go to Cap. From a direct storytelling and character enjoyment perception:

CA TFA/The Avengers: I'm a little more torn on this one than I will be on the next, as it's more conflicting to me. I am not an avid fan of The Avengers movie, as much as some are. And TFA isn't a very strong movie, to me. I almost want to tie this for that. But I also, personally, have begun to have more of a preference for some things in the structure of the Cap story. But also, I think there's more entertaining elements in TA. Tie, maybe.

TWS/AOU: This one's easier. I like the story of AOU more as some concepts, but this continues Whedon's trend of Tony being unlikable, to me. And while it has interesting concepts, to me, I don't think it's well done. TWS, to me, wins this round.

This last one's a bit more complicated, based purely on the fact that this isn't CW compared with one movie, but 2.

If I were to compare it to IW, a part of me likes IW more, but also think CW has more going on, maybe, in some cases, while IW may have more going on in others. But CW is better, in spite of me probably liking things in IW and wanting to rewatch it, more.

But, to me, EG is more disappointing than CW. So not only from a quality perspective of writing structure in that way, but also an enjoyment factor, I prefer CW.

Throughout this journey with the MCU, I have realized that I prefer the more focused solo films to the team-ups. I did a marathon recently and restructured my rankings for all 23 films and I came up with this.
#2) Winter Soldier
#5) First Avenger
#10) Endgame
#13) Civil War
#19) Avengers
#23) Ultron

Avengers Quadrilogy gets my vote. IW and EG are what really push it over the line for me - a more satisfying 1-2 CBM punch its hard to think of. Not to mention that Avengers 1 is still freaking awesome and while AoU is definitely the weakest, I still enjoy the heck out of it.

As for the Cap trilogy, it had a weak opening (with, IMO, one of the most by-the-numbers CBM origin movies ever), only to smash it out of the park with its second and third entries.

So overall, I think Avengers is a stronger series of films.

What's ridiculous about Zemo's plan? Frame Bucky for explosion, so he can get to him and discover evidence of a secret, so he can break up the avengers.

I voted Avengers, but it still annoys me whenever folks claim that Zemo's plan made no sense, Like, they assume that he needed the Sokovia Accords in order for his plan to work, when actually he didn't. It was certainly fortunate for him that the Avengers were already divided even before the UN bombing, but his plan would still play out the same way even without the Accords.

The Avengers series for the last scene of EG alone and the re-united Steve and Peggy....:ilv:

Avengers 9
AoU 7
IW 10
EG 9

TFA 7
TWS 8
CW 8.5

.................but going Avengers. The original Avengers was almost historic the way they built it up and I love how they ended things in EG and IW.

I think it's a tie....

The Avengers series for the last scene of EG alone and the re-united Steve and Peggy....:ilv:

I had that one called from WAY back. Perfect send off for Steve and well deserved.

But none of them were as good as Green Lantern. :oldrazz:

I voted Avengers, but it still annoys me whenever folks claim that Zemo's plan made no sense, Like, they assume that he needed the Sokovia Accords in order for his plan to work, when actually he didn't. It was certainly fortunate for him that the Avengers were already divided even before the UN bombing, but his plan would still play out the same way even without the Accords.

I feel like Zemo gets insufficient respect. Probably because he committed the initial sin of "Not dressing up in a pink sock". Doesn't matter that he actually hits most of the core thematic points of the character. If he doesn't look right, nothing else is allowed to matter.

*ahem*

Anyway, Team Cap all the way. I love the Avengers movies, but ultimately, I love Steve Rogers and his shiny paragon of LG-ness more.

Ok, here's my rankings

Cap's trilogy = good start, strong finish

TFA 7/10

TWS 9/10 (A 9.5 can be argued)

Civil War 9/10

Average: 8.33

Avengers = good start, disappointing finish

Avengers 7.5/10

AoU 8/10

IW 8.5/10

Endgame 7/10

Average: 7.75

The action was better in Cap's films and I liked the story and tone of those films more meanwhile Avengers had better villains (I liked Pierce and Zemo). I think all films are rewatchable except TFA and Endgame which are kinda boring in the middle until the ending. Like both but Cap's trilogy is overall better.

The Avengers and IW really sway it for me unfortunately. I love those two films so much and I do prefer them over TWS and CW which I also love, but are not quite on that level IMO. Endgame is on par with TWS and CW for me though, although if it wasn't for that last hour I'd probably put them over that film as well.

TFA and Ultron are still the weakest entries in both franchises to me despite the fact that TFA has grown on me more over the years to the point where I would probably put it over Ultron now.

Avengers: Infinity War (9.25/10)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (9/10)
Captain America: Civil War (8.75/10)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (8.5/10)
The Avengers (8/10)
Avengers: Endgame (7.75/10)
Captain America: The First Avenger (7.5/10)

Avengers Average: 8.375/10

Cap Average: 8.416~/10

It could almost be a Captain America duology and Avengers Pentalogy with Civil War being practically an Avengers film (and how many of the general audience remember it).

Civil War was not, by any reasonable standard, an "Avengers movie". The narrative was entirely focused on Steve Rogers, his character arc and themes. It just happened to use various Avengers as supporting cast. . . which is only logical, since most of Steve's friends and associates are Avengers.

Civil War was not, by any reasonable standard, an "Avengers movie". The narrative was entirely focused on Steve Rogers, his character arc and themes. It just happened to use various Avengers as supporting cast. . . which is only logical, since most of Steve's friends and associates are Avengers.
it's not an Avengers movie by name but it is by narrative. I also happen to think that it is one of the worst and most overrated films of the MCU, almost as bad as Age of Ultron

My take about is Civil War an Avengers movie or a Capt. America movie?

Title wise, its a Captain America movie and Chris Evans gets the top billing.

But if someone showed me that film without knowing the title, I would have thought its Avengers 3. Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Vision, War Machine, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Iron Man, Hawkeye aren't just the characters I would eXpect to show up in a Captain America movie for a main/supporting role.

Marvel Studios could easily have called it Avengers Civil War. It doesn't matter if Steve has the biggest role. Someone in these ensemble movies will always the biggest role.

But since because of the title, I consider it the third Capt. America movie to make things less complicated.

It's not even that close for me. I like TWS too but the Avengers films are where the true strengths of the MCU shine.

It's not even that close for me. I like TWS too but the Avengers films are where the true strengths of the MCU shine.
To me, it comes down to which one would I watch if I could only see one again. So I'm picking Avengers.

Winter soldier/Civil War are great but so as Endgame/Infinity War. And I find The First Avenger to be blandest mcu ever.

My take about is Civil War an Avengers movie or a Capt. America movie?

Title wise, its a Captain America movie and Chris Evans gets the top billing.

But if someone showed me that film without knowing the title, I would have thought its Avengers 3. Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Vision, War Machine, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Iron Man, Hawkeye aren't just the characters I would eXpect to show up in a Captain America movie for a main/supporting role.

Marvel Studios could easily have called it Avengers Civil War. It doesn't matter if Steve has the biggest role. Someone in these ensemble movies will always the biggest role.

But since because of the title, I consider it the third Capt. America movie to make things less complicated.
Exactly. Or, they could have alternatively titled it Iron Man: Civil War and that could have been just as valid of a title.

But to the bolded, it's not just something to consider; that is what the movie literally is. Captain America 3.

I'm such a crappy critic LOL. I actually like AoU better than the first Avengers because of the character's interactions. Overall, I'd say Avengers, but liked each and every one of those movies.

For me

TWS: 9.5/10
CW: 9/10
TFA: 8/10

Cap 88.3%

IFW: 9.5/10
EG: 9/10
A: 9/10
AoU: 7/10

Avengers 86.25%

TWS just elevated the MCU so much when it came out with it's complex story telling and serious tones. TFA is also pretty under-rated IMHO. It may not be top tier but in terms of the origin tales it may be the best. Again there's just a few items I wish they would've built on better.

AoU just lowers the % so much more. Funny thing is long term even though it's not my favorite, specific scenes and concepts are becoming more important to the overall stories. It also provided the perfect precursor for the events that followed in CW. Making it totally understandable why many consider CW to be Avengers 2.5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"