First Avenger Captain America's Costume - P - Part 2

the things they did with the costume in the movie were the things I was against back in my violent days...knowing about them so far in advance dulled the pain of it

The movie costume seems to make much more sense though, given the context of the films tone. They were clearly going for a more pulp, sci-fi adventure film, so the costume matches that tone and fits in with all the technology, concepts etc.

The 616 costume I feel would fit more in a film that had a stronger focus on fantasy, and less of that Rocketeer sort of feel (which looks really cool).

The Avengers costume is nearly perfect though, IMO. All I would have tweaked it with is to have slightly 3D wings, like the silver tips on his shoulders. I'm pretty happy all in all though. Even the USO show costume looks pretty damn awesome.

I hate to be the 'I told you so guy' but does anyone remember all the debates about the WWII costume initially? Don't they all seem so silly, now that we can look at the progression of the costumes, from USO, to USO altered, to Captain America, to Avenger?

Yes.

I love the Avengers Cap suit, but I'm honestly still not fond of the First Avenger suit. I mean I'm OK with it, but I still don't really like it. It just looks too cumbersome and forced to me.

Yes. Why does that mean I have to like it? I mean the WWII costume in Ultimates was similar to that in many ways. Still don't like that one either.

But I like what the costume has now evolved into.

If sequels do happen, it seems the direction they might go in is "flashback" sequels that would go to some of the times that happen offscreen in this movie so Cap would more than likely keep this look from First Avenger.

Cumbersome....like...military clothes?

having worn military clothes for a good decade I can tell you they are cumbersome...in fact cammies were some of the most comfortable uniforms the military has

But it's not the clothes themselves that are cumbersome (I myself have worn a military uniform, for a very brief period) but rather tha equipment and the packs you have to carry, (oh the packs!) It's not Cap's actual articles of clothing, but rather the straps and parts that add to it, like armour.

Anyway, you don't have to like it at all VileOne, but when I said it looked cumbersome, like military gear can, I wasn't saying that meant you had to like it, merely a justification why it looked that way. It's just logic.

My initial point, about don't the old arguments seem silly, was mainly that, whilst you still might not like the costume on a subjective level, surely now we can all agree that we can see the practical reasons for why they went with the costume, and the overall aesthetic and tone they were going for?

Honestly i didnt see the need because in the grand scheme it was still a guy in a flag suit running around people not in costume. Nothing in the tone suggested to me that we couldnt have had a more faithful suit made with WW2 materials...or even made up ones since the Hydra soldiers werent tied to the same requirements for Cap.
However I made my peace with all that as we are getting a suit closer to the one I'd like in Avengers

It might have been a flag suit, but it was based on military tech, no? I don't see how that's at odds with the HYDRA sci-fi military tech. The 616 Cap uniform is more like a swashbuckling adventurers outfit, which whilst is obviously still awesome, it's slightly at odds with a military focus.

I hate to be the 'I told you so guy' but does anyone remember all the debates about the WWII costume initially? Don't they all seem so silly, now that we can look at the progression of the costumes, from USO, to USO altered, to Captain America, to Avenger?
No, why would it?

Well, the silly things like there being no 616 costume out of contempt for the classic costume, and silly things like that, when it's quite clear now there was always the intention to update it for the Avengers.

Well, the silly things like there being no 616 costume out of contempt for the classic costume, and silly things like that, when it's quite clear now there was always the intention to update it for the Avengers.
When I complained about 'contempt for the classic costume' I was referring to Johnston's baffling idea that his USO suit was the only thing that counted as classic while the actual suit Cap uses is somehow not. Basically, in his mind, 'classic' means it looks stupid, even though he made a suit that was nearly classic but it didn't look stupid. Make sense?

The Avengers has little to do with Johnston, and I don't think he had much of a say on the costume outside of his movie. Obviously it would have been discussed but it wasn't really Johnston's idea.

I so want a Hot Toys 12 inch figure of Cap in that costume. I will never pay for a figure of the First Avenger movie costume though.

No reason to think they won't. The Thor and Odin figs are pretty sweet along with the Iron Man, all they need do is somehow come up with a Hulk and you've got most of the Avengers on your shelf.

Evans looked great in the traditional Captain America tights . He looked great in the Original World War II Cap suit during the rescue sequence with the triangular shield and the Stark upgraded suit looked amazing on screen . I can't wait to see him in action in the Avengers with the Iconic suit made by Tony Stark.

He looked fat in the silly theater costume.

Looked great in the real one. Can't wait to see him in the Avengers costume.

I think I know why he looked fat in it, it was mostly the face and it's not so much the suit's fault. It was filmed out of sequence, probably one of the first couple of scenes and given the fact that Evans had to considerably bulk up for the role and confessed that he had to eat so much he was sick to his stomach, his face was a little bit pudgy at the beginning of the shoot. As filming went on he gradually got a little bit leaner since he couldn't be absolutely stuffed with food while they were filming. It's the same thing that happened with Bale in Batman Begins and the reason why 'Teh Puffy' became such a popular meme on the boards.

Basically, the general idea was to make the USO suit look silly, so it was logical for them to film it while Evans' weight wasn't dialed in yet, because people would blame the suit. That's not to say that the suit doesn't look a bit silly on it's own.

JAK®;20970643 said:
When I complained about 'contempt for the classic costume' I was referring to Johnston's baffling idea that his USO suit was the only thing that counted as classic while the actual suit Cap uses is somehow not. Basically, in his mind, 'classic' means it looks stupid, even though he made a suit that was nearly classic but it didn't look stupid. Make sense?

The Avengers has little to do with Johnston, and I don't think he had much of a say on the costume outside of his movie. Obviously it would have been discussed but it wasn't really Johnston's idea.

If Marvel really wanted him in the suit for the movie they would've put him in the suit.

Now, I think the Classic costume would have worked except for the 3D wings but they went for a more practical approach. There's no problem with that and they paid homage to the original costume too. Rodgers even mentioned that he warmed up to the suit and liked it. I don't see any disrespect to Jack Kirby like Kurosawa mentioned.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the pirate boots. He would've looked silly going around in pirate boots for world war II.

I loved the costume in this movie and the helment in place of the cowl is genius and Chris really filled it out good.

Shot's from our event this weekend for Captain America. We were raising for money for the little fella in the wheel chair, he has a surgery coming up this month that will be rough. ... This is my suit that I made, heavily inspired by the suits from Ultimate Alliance, the First Avenger suit, and the new Avengers suit, and the prototype shield (because I'm still working on the others!). Base of the suit was done by some very talented folks out in Orlando.

IMG_0887-1.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

He looked fat in the silly theater costume.

Looked great in the real one. Can't wait to see him in the Avengers costume.

I think that was the point. He's suppose to come off as some guy wearing a halloween costume that was probably just thrown together. Steve is super fit but he was suppose to look like some nut trying to sell car insurance. Sort of like some guy dressed in a giant chicken suit trying to sell fast food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"