First Avenger Captain America's Costume - Part 3/41

Status
Not open for further replies.
JAK®;19680217 said:
"Why can't Cap run around in the comic costume?"
"Because this is a movie, he can't run around in spandex, he needs protection"
"But he's a supersoldier, he doesn't need protection"
"The movie still needs a sense of realism, even if it's about a superhero"
"Hey wait, Dum Dum Dugan is wearing a derby hat, that can't be good on the battlefield"
"Oh, he's an expert marksman"

:rolleyes:

LOL .... perfectly captured the moment.

Why would you respond to my comments that weren't directed at you? I clearly focused on people who's excuses for the Cap suit were pinpointing realism and protection.

That fact that someone told he had had to wear what he's wearing because it suits the 40's better and because he needs protection as a solider is silly when you see a guy fighting in a battle with a Derby hat on. Nothing about Caps suit would've be reasoned out of the extreme. All evidence suggested that it is, is strictly anecdotal at best.

You'd stopped refering to Wolvieboy personally and had crossed into what seemed to be an us vs them stance. Plus it's a public forum and I had some opinions on your posts that I wanted to share.

And though I never personally argued that Cap's costume is about protection (that I recall anyway), I have stated that I was of the opinion that it was a more grounded version because that seems to be the directors vision.

Now I'm not gonna carry this on particular argument anymore because I'm getting a little tired of it. I think we've both said most of our points anyway.

JAK®;19680217 said:
"Hey wait, Dum Dum Dugan is wearing a derby hat, that can't be good on the battlefield"

Haha, that's perfect.

Really, it's silly to try and defend the "realism" of any superhero costume. Even for all the explanation behind the Batman costumes in the Nolan series, it's still ridiculously unpractical.

I was always in support of a more Ultimate style suit. But that's honestly because I just liked the look of the Ultimate suit. I'm not really sure why, I just liked the superhero/soldier fatigue mix. But it's still not anymore "practical" then the original suit. The guy is still running around wearing bright red, white, and blue.

I understand exactly what you are saying.

Also, we all agree that the bowler is Dum-Dum's trademark. I would argue that feathered wings and red and white stripes all the way around the torso are Cap's 2 most identifiable 'trademarks'...neither of which they saw fit to include.

Bummer.

Would you really argue that the feathered wings and red and white stripes all the way around the torso are Cap's most identifiable trademarks? Really?

Those rank above the shield? The star? The giant 'A' on his forehead?

Why would you respond to my comments that weren't directed at you? I clearly focused on people who's excuses for the Cap suit were pinpointing realism and protection.

That fact that someone told he had had to wear what he's wearing because it suits the 40's better and because he needs protection as a solider is silly when you see a guy fighting in a battle with a Derby hat on. Nothing about Caps suit would've be reasoned out of the extreme. All evidence suggested that it is, is strictly anecdotal at best.

Not for nothing but you've responded to others when their comments weren't directed at you...it's the nature of the beast.

You'd stopped refering to Wolvieboy personally and had crossed into what seemed to be an us vs them stance. Plus it's a public forum and I had some opinions on your posts that I wanted to share.

And though I never personally argued that Cap's costume is about protection (that I recall anyway), I have stated that I was of the opinion that it was a more grounded version because that seems to be the directors vision.

Now I'm not gonna carry this on particular argument anymore because I'm getting a little tired of it. I think we've both said most of our points anyway.

I agree, we've all voiced our opinions, gave explanations and what not. And Rock, as far as your opinion with the suit itself, that's totally cool, didn't mean for it to get this blown out of proportion. You're good :up:

Last edited:
JAK®;19680217 said:

:hehe: Excellent summary

Would you really argue that the feathered wings and red and white stripes all the way around the torso are Cap's most identifiable trademarks? Really?

Those rank above the shield? The star? The giant 'A' on his forehead?

Well, the shield is a separate issue to me and they got it right, for the most part. I didn't mention the star because it's present in the movie costume but ok, I'll clarify: I would argue that blue with a star on the chest, red and white stripes all the way around and yes, his 3D wings are the most identifiable features.

I personally don't mind the costume. In fact, the more I see of it, the more I really like it.

I was always more concerned with the shield for some reason. Maybe bad memories from that 90's movie. I just didn't want the shield to look plastic and cheesy and I think they nailed it's look.

I'm just gonna go out there and say it... I like the movie costume better. Looking at that movie poster he just looks so freaking cool, and then I was re-reading some civil war stuff after there was talk about it in the Cap forum and I realised how much more interesting his costume could be. I love the overall design and colour scheme of the original, but It's completely lacking in layers. Thats not to say I don't love it, I think it's great and iconic, but if they were rebooting the comics, I think i'd tweak the costume design too. The comic costume looks like it's only made up of a few different pieces, which wouldn't look particularly interesting on film I don't think. I don't think thats exclusive to Cap, I think alot of comic costumes are like that.

Looking at the movie costume, I can just see Steve strapping on each piece, tying up the boots, all that stuff. It just seems so much more real and bad ash to me, and I don't mean real in the sense of 'realistic', but real as in I can believe a guy actually putting it on. So many costumes just seem to have illogical design features. I love the comic costume in the context of the comics, but i'd rather have an awesome costume just for the movies.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't need my movies to be just like the comics. I have hundreds of comics that serve their purpose well, and i'm glad the film makers have stamped their own version of Cap out because now I can enjoy the movie as it's own thing. I personally don't think the film maker should tweak the film to fit in a costume from the comics, they should tweak the costume to fit in with the movie. Also, bashing Johnson for his 'vision' and deliberate 'contempt' for the comic costume is stupid and childish. Wait until you've seen the film, then if you think his vision is flawed, fair enough, but for now all we can do is wait. We won't know for sure whether it has paid off or ruined things until we see the end result, and I for one am going to enjoy this movie for whatever it has to offer, i'm not going to sit there scrutinising over things changed from the comics.

This is the MCU, not the 616 universe. Think of it as the Ultimate universe, it's a separate thing entirely. Why can't you enjoy it in that context?

Also, I do think metallic wings could have worked but I'm glad they didn't use them because i'd rather see them in the Avengers. Not that they couldn't have used them, but I think it would be a cool transition for the costume to become a little more traditional Cap now that he is leader of the Avengers, whilst still keeping the unique film look.

Also, I could see the Avengers costume keeping the same overall design but with a leather outfit instead of the WWII material, and no shoulder straps.

Last edited:
I like the movie costume quite a lot but there are elements of it that I'm not super keen on. Personally I'd have went with a look much closer to the Ultimates outfit, particularly the shirt/jacket with buttons up the side and the ankle-cover thingies.

34rdt85.jpg

Even in the comics I prefer a more soldier-ly look to Cap since they've started portraying him that way in recent years. Even the classic outfit looks a lot cooler with the tac belt imo. I've never been a fan of the armored top. Nor stretchy pants, but hey super-heroes wear stretchy pants so i see why it is like it is. But I don't necessarily want to see it onscreen. To each his own.

While I do realize that the 616 and the MCU are different that shouldnt take away the desire to see characters look they way the comics should. I think a perfect example of an adapted suit is/was Raimi's Spider-man. It looked like the comics and had modifications to make it work for the film.

Yeah, we've talked about Spidey before, and I wasn't too crash hot on that costume. Sure it looked cool and like the comic, but it was completely and entirely impractical as far as how he made it and where it came from. Also, he's poor with no money, yet he manages to make and repair how many suits through the trilogy? But because of the films tone, you accept it because it's a proud to be cheesy, fun superhero film.

But compare that to the X-Men films, the comic costumes wouldn't have worked at all because that tone was a little more serious, Singer was trying to create a world that was close to real society so that the mutant plight would resonate more strongly, which I think was fine too.

The tone for all these films seems to be markedly different, maybe somewhere in between Spidey and X-Men, but I think thats fine. It's not like they completely discarded the comic costume, nor ruled it out for future installments. I think this is alot more faithful to the classic costume than the Ultimate WWII would have been, and whilst it's something die hard comic fans might not love as ideal choice, I don't think it's something worth hating. Also, after seeing the film, you might actually like it more once there is a context wrapped around it.

Honestly, I never cared for Raimi's Spider-man costume. I didn't like the raised webbing, nor the oakley eyes, nor the lack of webshooters(this was huge) but still if that was all those films got wrong then I'd still have liked them. Unfortunately, they got a s**t ton of other stuff wrong as well which is why I didn't care for them. My point is, as long as a costume is close enough, it shouldn't distract from whether the film is good or not as long as the rest is up to snuff.

Is that Swahili for 'Straw man wearing spandex?'

Awww crap, now i've done it! I should probably go into hiding.

no dont do that I enjoy debating with ya

Is that Swahili for 'Straw man wearing spandex?'

Nah, I just Googled 'Useful phrases in Swahili' and copied and pasted 'Do you speak Swahili' from one of the sites. Interestingly enough, it was a toss up between that phrase or 'My hovercraft is full of eels'.

I kid you not, that's actually on there - the translation is 'Gari langu linaloangama limejaa na mikunga', apparently! :woot:

Must be a common problem over there.

I'm pretty sure thats a Monty Python reference.

Yeah, thats definitely a Monty Python quote. John Cleese, if I remember correctly.

Nah, I just Googled 'Useful phrases in Swahili' and copied and pasted 'Do you speak Swahili' from one of the sites. Interestingly enough, it was a toss up between that phrase or 'My hovercraft is full of eels'.

I kid you not, that's actually on there - the translation is 'Gari langu linaloangama limejaa na mikunga', apparently! :woot:

Must be a common problem over there.

How close are they to Wakanda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back