First Avenger Captain America's Costume - Part 3/41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha you beat me to it.

I should use that phrasebook every time I get frustrated in the Cap forums.

"Johnston clearly hates the character, he shows so much contempt for his beginnings."

"MY NIPPLES EXPLODE WITH DELIGHT!"

Python quotes in general are great for making people stop to consider wtf you just said. :D

I'm just gonna go out there and say it... I like the movie costume better. Looking at that movie poster he just looks so freaking cool, and then I was re-reading some civil war stuff after there was talk about it in the Cap forum and I realised how much more interesting his costume could be. I love the overall design and colour scheme of the original, but It's completely lacking in layers. Thats not to say I don't love it, I think it's great and iconic, but if they were rebooting the comics, I think i'd tweak the costume design too. The comic costume looks like it's only made up of a few different pieces, which wouldn't look particularly interesting on film I don't think. I don't think thats exclusive to Cap, I think alot of comic costumes are like that.

Looking at the movie costume, I can just see Steve strapping on each piece, tying up the boots, all that stuff. It just seems so much more real and bad ass to me, and I don't mean real in the sense of 'realistic', but real as in I can believe a guy actually putting it on. So many costumes just seem to have illogical design features. I love the comic costume in the context of the comics, but i'd rather have an awesome costume just for the movies.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't need my movies to be just like the comics. I have hundreds of comics that serve their purpose well, and i'm glad the film makers have stamped their own version of Cap out because now I can enjoy the movie as it's own thing. I personally don't think the film maker should tweak the film to fit in a costume from the comics, they should tweak the costume to fit in with the movie. Also, bashing Johnson for his 'vision' and deliberate 'contempt' for the comic costume is stupid and childish. Wait until you've seen the film, then if you think his vision is flawed, fair enough, but for now all we can do is wait. We won't know for sure whether it has paid off or ruined things until we see the end result, and I for one am going to enjoy this movie for whatever it has to offer, i'm not going to sit there scrutinising over things changed from the comics.

This is the MCU, not the 616 universe. Think of it as the Ultimate universe, it's a separate thing entirely. Why can't you enjoy it in that context?

Also, I do think metallic wings could have worked but I'm glad they didn't use them because i'd rather see them in the Avengers. Not that they couldn't have used them, but I think it would be a cool transition for the costume to become a little more traditional Cap now that he is leader of the Avengers, whilst still keeping the unique film look.

Also, I could see the Avengers costume keeping the same overall design but with a leather outfit instead of the WWII material, and no shoulder straps.

I generally agree. I like the movie suit. I may have done it a little different but it doesn't interfere with my excitement or enjoyment. I think it rocks.

I can also completely understand some wanting something different. I don't understand some that are seeming to say the movie suit "spoils" the movie for them.

It checks all the iconic boxes, even if a little differently. Kind of seems very nitpicky to be THAT annoyed by the suit. Not singling anyone out, just making a general statement.

Costume's off, in an iconic basis. His head is too flat without the wings, that could be a natural extension of his mask.

Chin strap is ugly and pointless, plus: makes his chin look smaller, and CA is known for his square superhero jaw.

Grey straps and fake stripes are simply bad, also pointless. Boots and gloves are iconic in red, not in brown (I don't remember to see brown in the star-spangled).

Bottom line: it DOESN'T check all the iconic boxes, it's a disputable variation.

Not effective for me, its deviations being merely to make him "fit" the 40's in Johnston also very disputable imagination.

Captain was created in the 40's with almost the SAME outfit we see him sporting in 616 standard, iconic costume.

Bad excuse, not enough of an argument there, it seems.

Theres a difference between 'created in the 40's with 40's standards' and 'set in the 40's by modern standards'.... A modern standard essentially affects everything. Hell, even if this movie was made like one in the 90's, it could still suck. Keeping things feeling contemporary, even for a period film is very important.

Theres a difference between 'created in the 40's with 40's standards' and 'set in the 40's by modern standards'.... A modern standard essentially affects everything. Hell, even if this movie was made like one in the 90's, it could still suck. Keeping things feeling contemporary, even for a period film is very important.

"Keeping things feeling contemporary" is the recipe to be the old-fashioned stuff in a very short time span.

The idea is always to look for a timeless feel. In other words, "iconic'.

And you would say that Captain Americas first appearance stands the test of time? Theres a difference between something that is iconic and something that last along time and works for that whole time.

The Tim Burton Batman costume, for instance, is what I would call iconic, creating what is now most commonly the fully black costume. Does it stand today? No, but is it's influence seen on more recent costumes, YES.

The Iron Man costume, however, will most likely stand and work as a costume for ever because it's largely functional rather than cosmetic. It's not like 20 years from now, people are going to be saying "God, i can't believe they used METAL for that costume." Maybe the FX will be outdated, but the design itself is fine.

The Cap movie costume is very clearly and strongly influenced by the classic design, as it is also influenced by recent designs, like reborn and Ultimates. You can't just recreate the comic costume because it's 'iconic' you have to appropriate these things, which is what they did.

Seriously, thank christ you aren't in charge of any of these movies. It would be all style over substance. Are you really Zak Snyder?

And you would say that Captain Americas first appearance stands the test of time? Theres a difference between something that is iconic and something that last along time and works for that whole time.

The Tim Burton Batman costume, for instance, is what I would call iconic, creating what is now most commonly the fully black costume. Does it stand today? No, but is it's influence seen on more recent costumes, YES.

The Iron Man costume, however, will most likely stand and work as a costume for ever because it's largely functional rather than cosmetic. It's not like 20 years from now, people are going to be saying "God, i can't believe they used METAL for that costume." Maybe the FX will be outdated, but the design itself is fine.

The Cap movie costume is very clearly and strongly influenced by the classic design, as it is also influenced by recent designs, like reborn and Ultimates. You can't just recreate the comic costume because it's 'iconic' you have to appropriate these things, which is what they did.

Seriously, thank christ you aren't in charge of any of these movies. It would be all style over substance. Are you really Zak Snyder?

As somebody who isn't a "burtonite" and thinks that both of the Burton movies have significant story issues, I do think the suit holds up today. I don't see how it doesn't, aside from the limited range of motion that it gave Keaton.

And I also really like the Cap costume. I think it looks really cool. But I also don't know if it will still be seen as a memorable, iconic suit in 20 years. As much as I love it, it does feel like a compromised version of something else.

"Keeping things feeling contemporary" is the recipe to be the old-fashioned stuff in a very short time span.

The idea is always to look for a timeless feel. In other words, "iconic'.

I don't really know about that. Indiana Jones is very much set in the style (look-wise) of the old 1930's pulp magazines that it's based off of. But it is still very iconic, because it captured the feel of the era, while still using contemporary film methods and techniques.

In terms of the overall costume though, I think it just comes down to persnal preference. I don't mind it because I've always been a fan of a more WWII Ultimates look. I'm not going to try and argue it being more "realistic" or more functional, because when you come down to it, it's still a guy running around in red, white, and blue, and that would never be realistic in any way shape or form on the battlefield. I just liked the design.

I don't have a problem with people preferring the original design either. I've honestly never been a huge fan of it, but I can completely understand why some people want to see it. And everyone who is going to hold up his USO costume as to why a traditional Cap costume couldn't work...well, I just think that's twisting things for the sake of their own argument. The USO costume is going to be made to look silly on purpose. If a movie company put their full effort into making a faithful Cap costume, I'm sure we could get some pretty cool looking designs.

Again, it's not really something I'd would have been super interested in seeing in this movie at least, but I don't deny that it could be done.

Are you kidding? The burton costume looks ridiculous under any examination. It looks like a really faked up, completely flimsy rubber that he has to physically tear to get out of, which we see in Batman Returns. It was functionally ridiculous, but it looked cool as hell at the time.

Call me crazy, but I like a costume I can see my hero actually put on.

The Burton Batman is of course ridiculous by our present standards (and it was a problem from the start, all ruber and stiff), and to think it was iconic is a vast exaggeration.

That's what I think will happen to this Johnston Captain America, unless they upgrade it to the Avengers (and I think that's what they'll do).

Indiana Jones IS iconic, and that's for sure: Lucas and Spielberg had that very romantic idea of the adventurer who is also an intelectual. They combined very well chosen elements to make that tough but learned hero.

Of course, setting him in 1930's. Imagine now some dim witted director thinking their take on Indiana Jones should get some kind of updating.

That chap would live in cinematic hell for the rest of his days, and beyond.

Captain America is a very different kind of thing: his costume has been this superhero icon for more than 60 years, and it was made as a superhero costume from scratch.

Now Johnston twisted it with the recent fad of "making it contemporary" by adding a realistic or historic approach that simply distorts and dilutes the icon in a contemporary claptrap outfit that is neither iconic nor realistic.

Reborn and Ultimates, yikes.

If Captain America was created like that, he would have lasted less than the issues they published. It would be a well-rounded zero.

Substance over style would be as bad as the other option, Wolvie. Substance MUST be style, and vice versa.

Otherwise you have entertainment for the summer, oblivion for eternity.

Reborn and Ultimates, yikes.

If Captain America was created like that, he would have lasted less than the issues they published. It would be a well-rounded zero.

Substance over style would be as bad as the other option, Wolvie. Substance MUST be style, and vice versa.

Otherwise you have entertainment for the summer, oblivion for eternity.

Stewie=my reaction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduChCGRwic

Last edited:
we still whipping this horse...i think its down to the skeleton

Am I the only one that hated the Burton Batman suit? Batman could barely even move his head or torso. lol This is supposed to be the Dark Knight that could fade in and out of the shadows and move with the grace and silence of a ninja? :)

Anyway...Cap's costume looks amazing and infact, I prefer it over the comic. Which actually, I feel that way about Thor's costume as well.

Am I the only one that hated the Burton Batman suit? Batman could barely even move his head or torso. lol This is supposed to be the Dark Knight that could fade in and out of the shadows and move with the grace and silence of a ninja? :)

Anyway...Cap's costume looks amazing and infact, I prefer it over the comic. Which actually, I feel that way about Thor's costume as well.

It's actually incredible how your post is twisted: the first part is absolutely perfect, and the second...oh boy.

It's actually incredible how your post is twisted: the first part is absolutely perfect, and the second...oh boy.

It's interesting isn't it? But you'll notice the one I dislike is a DC hero and the others I like are Marvel. I feel that Marvel heroes translate easier to screen with some changes. I've never cared for SOME of the costume choices in Thor's appearance in the comics, same with Cap. But I feel the changes that were made in the films were actually good changes while retaining the IMAGE of the character.

But for some reason when they try to translate DC heroes to screen, they don't just make a few changes, they completely alter the character. Either in personality or appearance or both. Batman (in all batman films) just went too far in design away from the original source material. Green Lantern is a nice shift back and I hope it's how DC does things in the future. But I just think Batman's costumes in the films were just plain horrible.

It's interesting isn't it? But you'll notice the one I dislike is a DC hero and the others I like are Marvel. I feel that Marvel heroes translate easier to screen with some changes. I've never cared for SOME of the costume choices in Thor's appearance in the comics, same with Cap. But I feel the changes that were made in the films were actually good changes while retaining the IMAGE of the character.

But for some reason when they try to translate DC heroes to screen, they don't just make a few changes, they completely alter the character. Either in personality or appearance or both. Batman (in all batman films) just went too far in design away from the original source material. Green Lantern is a nice shift back and I hope it's how DC does things in the future. But I just think Batman's costumes in the films were just plain horrible.

I agree on Bats (although I think in Dark Knight some of the changes, particularly the cowl and the neck, were improvements, I find the overdesign in his costume an abomination), and I generally agree about Marvel translating better.

Don't know why: maybe Marvel is more confident about its characters. I always think DC is somewhat at a loss when it comes to deal with Superman and Wonder Woman, for instance.

I think Spider Man and Iron Man were spot on; Thor is really good; Hulk still needs to become convincing; and Captain America is a problem to be solved in The Avengers.

I agree on Bats (although I think in Dark Knight some of the changes, particularly the cowl and the neck, were improvements, I find the overdesign in his costume an abomination), and I generally agree about Marvel translating better.

Don't know why: maybe Marvel is more confident about its characters. I always think DC is somewhat at a loss when it comes to deal with Superman and Wonder Woman, for instance.

I think Spider Man and Iron Man were spot on; Thor is really good; Hulk still needs to become convincing; and Captain America is a problem to be solved in The Avengers.

I think you're right in Marvel being more confident. I'm sure DC is nervous that their characters may not be appreciated by the GA if they stick too close to the comics since their characters have a more classic feel. (ie tights and capes) And despite myself not having any faith in the GA, I think if a DC film was done right...tights and a cape would be accepted.

I think you're right in Marvel being more confident. I'm sure DC is nervous that their characters may not be appreciated by the GA if they stick too close to the comics since their characters have a more classic feel. (ie tights and capes) And despite myself not having any faith in the GA, I think if a DC film was done right...tights and a cape would be accepted.

Exactly. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"