The Winter Soldier Captain America's shield (possibly SPOILERS)

Kannut

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi

First of all, the movie is so good. One of the best MCU adaptions yet.

I don't know if this has been asked . I have searched the forum and could not find an answer to this. But here goes:

In the first act of TWS we see Captain America in his SHIELD agent uniform sporting a blue shield. Then after the rescue mission, when returning to Washington D.C. Cap suddenly has his old red, blue, and white colored shield. What happened to the blue one? Have I missed something in the movie? Does he have more than one shield?

Hope you can help answer me this.

It's supposed to be the same one, with a different paint job.

But how and why? Doesn't the whole movie take place in a couple of days. Why suddenly change the colors?

Apparently because a blue and silver finish is more stealthy. It's one of those things that don't make a whole lot of sense.

What I'm wondering is where'd the shield end up.

They might just have found it in the water. Didn't Cap have the shield in the set photos from AOU?

Might be because it's more stealthy and matches the uniform, but as I remember it, when the shield becomes red again, he hasn't changed the uniform. Therefore it doesn't make sense to change it. Unless they aren't the same shields. Maybe the blue is a shield for that mission somehow. I would have liked to have that explained in the movie.

They might just have found it in the water.
Probably, yeah. The shield drop was central to the scene's mood. Cap let his defences down and didn't want to fight his friend any more. He literally let it all go.

Probably, yeah. The shield drop was central to the scene's mood. Cap let his defences down and didn't want to fight his friend any more. He literally let it all go.

totally. great emotional scene. It would've been ruined if steve was like "hold on real quick" then put's it in a certain part so it wouldn't fall

They continue to find creative ways of using the shield, too. A nice blend of 'realism' and comic book fantasy. Taking down the aerial vehicle upon leaving the building in Washington DC on the motorbike, for example.

I've said in another thread that I personally think there are 2 shields. The movie did indeed take place only over 2 days. When Cap, Widow and Falcon were captured, didn't Cap have his shield with him? I would've assumed it would have been confiscated by SHIELD.

The simplest explanation is that he got his original red and white shield from the Smithsonian., along with his WWII uniform. I can't imagine, being under a time limit, he actually went and retrieved his shield from SHIELD custody (remember, they even had to break in stealthily into the Triskelion or Helicarriers) and painted it to the original colours.

While in WWII there was only enough Vibranium to make one shield, isn't it possible that they could have discovered more in the 70 years since?

The simplest explanation is that he got his original red and white shield from the Smithsonian., along with his WWII uniform. I can't imagine, being under a time limit, he actually went and retrieved his shield from SHIELD custody (remember, they even had to break in stealthily into the Triskelion or Helicarriers) and painted it to the original colours.

While in WWII there was only enough Vibranium to make one shield, isn't it possible that they could have discovered more in the 70 years since?

He didn't get the red/white/blue Shield from the museum because he starts using it much earlier in the movie. It reappears when he first meets the Winter Soldier in his apartment.

I also thought there were two shields because the classic one seemed to be just laying around in Cap's apartment, which i found kind of funny because he just casually grabs the shield from a random corner of his house.

Last edited:
I was watching the movie and trying to work this out tonight. I think he must get the shield back to red and blue straight after the rescue mission - let's just assume that the light blue is some kind of peel-off coating for ease of changing, used only for night/stealth missions.

When he leaves SHIELD on his bike after seeing the new Helicarriers he's got his shield on his back, but you can't see what colour, so assume it's red (although if it's a peel off coating it doesn't matter, he could remove it at home). Then he goes home and drops it off before going to the museum - we don't see this but it easily could have happened. When he comes back we see him go in the window, and he picks it up.

I thought the vibranium they used to make the shield was all there was in the world? So there can only be one shield. I thought the Smithsonian one was a fake prop.

You can actually see the shield next to Steve's hospital bed when Sam is visiting him. It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"