Endgame Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers - Brie Larson

I'd argue that she wasn't. Both Civil War and Infinity War also had quite a few characters to juggle. Arguably IW had more than Endgame, but the Russos managed to balance those characters with masterful storytelling. Scarlet Witch had more to say in her "Paprika" scene in CW than Captain Marvel does in all of Endgame. So really the size of the cast is also not an excuse. The problem with Captain Marvel in Endgame is how she is used. In IW as example, we got a wide range of personalities and interactions with all of the characters. We didn't just see Black Panther show up, fight some enemies and then disappear. Captain Marvel on the other hand is not a character. She barely has any conversations or interactions with other characters that let us know who she is. No sitting down and having a heartfelt or meaningful dialogue with Cap, Iron Man, Rocket etc. No concern about her family's whereabouts during the Snap. NOTHING.

It's a bit rich for Marvel to throw in a "girl power" scene, when you don't even bother to give one of your most important female characters in the MCU a semblance of a personality and only define her by her gender and her powers.

Yea... I know exactly what you're saying. You make some strong and very good points.

Endgame was filmed before Captain Marvel, so many of those details likely had not been worked out yet.

Yea... I REALLY wanted to love Captain Marvel. But I believe they played it way too safe. There is nothing in that movie in my opinion going back to to watch again. No fight sequences, no grand cgi battles, no great character interaction moments... nada.

For me it's the least memorable movie out of the Marvel lot. And that's a big disappointment for me because I would think with a cosmic character like CM we would have gotten some new, interesting and epic moments.

Add to the fact the actress seems a bit off in the role. And this isn't a jab at Brie at all... She is a fine actress. I think it has to do more with the writing and the direction they went for.

I think Brie is a great actress and an even better musician. But I still think Katee Sackhoff would have been a more likeable CM on screen. They recast Terence Howard for War Machine and Ed Norton for Hulk so I don’t see why they can’t recast in the future again

I'm sure they will recast. After Brie finishes her run playing the role for about 10 years, the character's been dormant for a while, and they're ready to reboot.

I think Brie is a great actress and an even better musician. But I still think Katee Sackhoff would have been a more likeable CM on screen. They recast Terence Howard for War Machine and Ed Norton for Hulk so I don’t see why they can’t recast in the future again

Yea.. I don't know why Brie is so unlikeable as Captain Marvel. I'm not sure if its her or how they are directing her but idk... And I like her, I really do. There is just something off about her so I'm hoping they fine tune her on screen personality in the MCU. Its strange that we don't like her as much as we do the other actresses in the MCU. As big as they wanted this character to be I do feel Marvel didn't invest as much time and energy into her as needed.

Works for me! Think she's great in the role a d really looking forward to what's to come. I thought the CM was meh on my first viewing but watching it again at home it clicked and totally worked for me for some reason.

I respect those who don't feel she's the perfect fit, every opinion has equal value. In terms of general consensus outside of the core Fandom I think its clearly working though--for both Brie and Marvel.

Imagine how much her solo movie would make if she were more “likeable”.

Yeah I am not getting the complaints about Brie in the role personally. I liked her and sympathised with her the first time in CM and have done so even more upon repeat viewings. Also liked her in Endgame.

My only quibble with her appearances so far was that I felt they made her too powerful in EG. Thanos shouldnt have struggled so much against her as it feels no one is a threat to her now.

Imagine how much her solo movie would make if she were more “likeable”.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
I see this bunch of incel losers on the internet saying with confidence that "everybody hated Captain Marvel" and I'm wondering in what fantasy world a movie where everybody hates the main character makes a billion dollars.

U can't please All the people all the time, but what they managed to do was to please MOST of the people most of the time! If they keep that going they will be sitting pretty. Sure that vocal minority who aren't into Brie will still voice their displeasure, but we saw what that amounted to when it was all said and done.... Much ado over nothing. 1 billion right out of the gate... Check mate Brie!

Reactions: Bim
Obviously they'll recast many years from now but for the foreseeable future Brie isn't going anywhere. You're not getting rid of an Oscar winning actress in a Billion dollar franchise just because some fans have a problem with her for the likes of Katee Sackhoff. Besides, if there's a problem it's definitely a creative one through no fault of Larson. They need a better screenplay for the sequel.

Brie was absolutely likeable and charismatic in Captain Marvel and in her short screen time in Endgame. I am not sure where this "unlikable" stuff is coming from, outside of the clickbait Youtube incels who need a boogie woman to rail against in order to drive viewing interest for their channels.

Brie was absolutely likeable and charismatic in Captain Marvel and in her short screen time in Endgame. I am not sure where this "unlikable" stuff is coming from, outside of the clickbait Youtube incels who need a boogie woman to rail against in order to drive viewing interest for their channels.
This :up:

Don't say you disagree then you're labeled a quote unquote. "feminazi SJW soyboy."

I seriously don't get the hate for Brie Larson. I feel if she were a man, there's no way she'd be getting this level of negative attention. However because she's an outspoken woman, people are somehow threatened and want her to "go back into her box".

Of course I don't want to generalise and I'm sure people have valid reasons they haven't taken to her... but personally I don't think she'd be getting this level hate if it were RDJ, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans etc.

Looking forward to Captain Marvel 2 and seeing where she takes the role.

I seriously don't get the hate for Brie Larson. I feel if she were a man, there's no way she'd be getting this level of negative attention. However because she's an outspoken woman, people are somehow threatened and want her to "go back into her box".

Of course I don't want to generalise and I'm sure people have valid reasons they haven't taken to her... but personally I don't think she'd be getting this level hate if it were RDJ, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans etc.

Looking forward to Captain Marvel 2 and seeing where she takes the role.

The hate is totally because she's a woman. Also, once the YouTube manbabies saw that hate-filled videos got plenty of hits from other insecure beta-males, they just piled on. There's much money to be made from misogyny and all other forms of hate.

The crybaby chorus is already spouting off about how much they hate Marvel's Phase Four slate. Too many minorities and lady parts have them reeling from outrage. Thor and Ajak have been genderbent! (Most don't know who Ajak is or that Jane was Thor for years in the comics.) Where did all those nonwhite people come from? (Never mind that 20 of Marvel's first 23 films starred white males.)

Let them cry. None of the online faux-rage matters. Thor 4, Eternals and Shang-Chi will be hits in spite or even because of all the noise, just as Black Panther and Captain Marvel were. We live in a much more diverse world than the impotent incels want to admit.

cp.gif

Another Captain Marvel scene that ended up being cut. Nice. I wonder if this is the one where Carol put a hand on Hulk's chest.

She and the outfit look great there!

It's a good costume. It's too bad it only lasted five minutes :hehe:

EAtFBzsUEAAvkAn

Isn't that actually the Captain Marvel outfit?

The Endgame one I thought had gold shoulder pads and wider stripes on the chest
or was that only used for the CM post-credit scene?

Isn't that actually the Captain Marvel outfit?

The Endgame one I thought had gold shoulder pads and wider stripes on the chest
or was that only used for the CM post-credit scene?

I thought they made a new one myself, but it turns out, she was wearing her own film's outfit and they modified it in post with some CGI. Just one of the many moronic decisions they made regarding Captain Marvel for this movie.Every time I see a scene with her wearing it, it really makes me even more disappointed.

TBH, I like the wider stripes on the Endgame suit
But I agree that the whole "We'll just change it in post" mentality has gone a bit far

if nothing else, it must really be pissing off the costume makers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"