Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually am looking forward to seeing more from Ant-Man and Wasp. I was pleasantly surprised from the first Ant-Man film. I liked it better than Age of Ultron. That helps to lesson the sting, so to speak.
Pun intended? :p

It's a crappy ratio. It's one that both Marvel, WB, and Fox should ashamed of themselves for. Captain Marvel should have been Phase 2. Carol Danvers should have been introduced already. Both Rhodey and Falcon, who are both Air Force, have been introduced.

It feels baffling that Marvel moved Captain Marvel when they didn't need to. It also feels condescending that they moved Captain Marvel to Women's History Month, as if it needed to be lifted by free publicity or something. It's a weird move and it's not one that inspires confidence that their first female solo movie got moved twice.

At least Black Panther got moved up, but the fact that that movie got moved to Black History month makes me believe both a Black hero and a female hero got moved to their respective months of celebration aren't a coincidence.
I agree that none of the studios look good when it comes to this matter so I'm definitely not just "bashing" Marvel.

I agree that none of the studios look good when it comes to this matter so I'm definitely not just "bashing" Marvel.

It says a lot that in the last 10 years the only superhero solo movies that had a minority or a woman were Hancock and Elektra. One of them isn't even a comic book superhero.

Am I the only one around here that really liked Hope in Ant-Man? I mean, I didn't like her as much as Scarlet Witch, but I liked her more than Black Widow, Quake, Mockingbird, etc (just comparing to other females because that is the general topic of conversation here).

That's a good feat when Hope had to overcome me thinking of Tauriel (who I didn't like AT ALL) when I first saw her in the ads.

It says a lot that in the last 10 years the only superhero solo movies that had a minority or a woman were Hancock and Elektra. One of them isn't even a comic book superhero.

Well you know how female led films just don't sell. I mean sure, Mockingjay Part 1 and Maleficent outgrossed all 2014 superhero movies besides Guardians and Frozen outgrossed the vast majority of superhero movies and Catching Fire and Gravity did better than 2013 superhero movies not starring RDJ and Lucy made more of a profit than Ant-Man, The First Avenger and Thor but...Catwoman bombed, guys, and that couldn't have just been because it was a horrible abomination to film. :o

Don't see the big deal. It's five months meanwhile they get to finally have hope (who I loved) suit up as wasp which means she can show up in IW, and they weren't gonna do that cause they wanted to give her time to explore the suit in a film instead of just showing her fighting with the Avengers.

Who is to say that they won't push it back again for a Doctor Strange sequel? I'm not being silly, that is my thought.

Who is to say that they won't push it back again for a Doctor Strange sequel? I'm not being silly, that is my thought.

And I understand that but me personally I don't see myself getting upset until it's clear that they're just stalling for the hell of it. Doing an antman sequel allows them to let hope have her moment, which they wanted to do before putting her in IW, which means we'll have another female in the avengers. And carol better have her film and be in IW2 or then I'll be pissed and ranting with you.

I'd actually put more blame the studios for creating that demand in the first place.

In a perfect world Black Panther and Captain Marvel wouldn't be big deals, but they are treated as such because Hollywood has a notoriously bad track record when it comes to diversity.

Still, I don't see how Marvel taking advantage of that perception to sell the film more effectively is a bad thing. People *do* want it to be successful, right?

I just can't summon the will to get bent out of shape about a 5 month delay of a film that's still over three years away. I mean if we were sitting here combing thru setpics and expecting a trailer any day now and they suddenly announce a half a year pushback I'd be pissed too, but three years? That's already too far off for me to care.

Five months is nothing. People need something to get worked up about I guess.

I do wonder how the screenplay is coming along though.

Well they haven't had their first creative meeting with Marvel yet, apparently, so maybe they'll have more to say after that.

I mean the movie is 3.5 years away. That nothing's been done other than hiring writers is hardly shocking.

Every new thing that I read about this project annoys the hell out of me. I'm not surprised that they haven't written anything of course because the film is a thousand years away.

The thing that gives me pause here is that CAPTAIN MARVEL, you would suspect, should tie heavily into the cosmic side of things leading up to IW. Yet they don't have a clear picture yet as to story, ect.?

We don't know that for sure, just that they haven't started. They wouldn't tell us at this point anyway.

If we take her at her word, then she literally hasn't met with Marvel to discuss their story plans, so we don't know how much of a plan Marvel has yet. Obviously Feige & Co. will have ideas before the writers they hire because they're overseeing the big picture.

I don't want to read too far into LeFauve's comments. All she really talked about was the potential challenges of writing a character with Carol's powerset. Given Marvel's obsession with secrecy that is probably all she is allowed to say at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"