Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

She could've at least said something about Carol as a character. She could've said she likes cats. I don't think that would exactly spoil the plot for everyone.

2. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I don't think there's anything to read into, as that seems pretty cut and dry to me. She'll start getting into the character after she meets with Marvel. They'll probably have specific storylines and versions in mind for her and Perlman to read up on.

3. CB Fan The Watcher

Yeah at this point people are just looking for something to be pissed about. I myself would have liked the film to be released during phase 2 but it wasn't, it's being released during phase three (which we're on now) and as long as I don't have to wait until phase four or five I'm chill about it.

4. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I don't care which order these films come out. I'm just happy that the films are released and are good.

5. fixxxer ...goes to 11

Not too sure what the big deal is. It's coming out in 3.5 years instead of 3 years. Is that really cause for alarm? Carol Danvers (and T'Challa, for that matter) should've definitely had Phase 2 solos in the first place, but this change in schedule is really not a big deal.

My thinking is that they could've either kept Cap'n Marvel in the same slot and plugged in Ant-Man/Wasp in the March 2019 slot, but decided that Captain Marvel directly leading into IW2 would make for a more effective narrative.

6. fixxxer ...goes to 11

At such an early stage, it's infinitely better to say as little as possible.

I can imagine armies of nutters going, "OMG! She makes Carol seem like a crazy cat lady. Of all the things they could've said, they talk about the damn cat? So typical of blah blah blah..."

There's a reason Marvel/Disney is so strict about information dissemination from the actors, writers, even directors, etc. This way the marketing/PR departments gets to craft the nature of the talking points that goes to the press.

7. Mike Murdock Registered

Well, a sequel starring a white male and co-starring a white female.

I doubt they'd do two Doctor Strange movies in Phase Three. The only character who doesn't have a movie in Phase Three is Iron Man. I guarantee they'd push it back again if Downey wants to do another one of those. Otherwise, I think it's pretty safe, short of Marvel getting back the rights to Fantastic Four.

8. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

that's why I think the first of the 2020 movies will be Strange 2, but, honestly 4 years is a huge gap between movies unless they give Strange something very meaty to do in the IW duology

9. MbJ Registered

They waited to make sure people actually gave a **** about Ant-Man before announcing a sequel, so if there is a sequel among the mystery movies, I imagine it'll be for an already existing franchise rather than Doctor Strange.

10. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Marvel's PR strategy of putting the Wasp name in Ant-Man's sequel title does not work on us. It can work on you, others and some of the interwebs media who treat Marvel with kid gloves but it doesn't work on us.

11. Bullseye1 Registered

I think there is legitimate disappointment in the movie being pushed back as a result of another movie which was not previously even mentioned, twice if you include Spider-mans solo movie.

12. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

I understand disappointment in having to wait a little bit longer to see the character on the big screen, I don't understand people who act like this is a move made because Marvel is "dragging their feet" on Captain Marvel or they "don't care as much about the property". People are filling in the blanks and believing what they want to believe.
    Spider-man makes over a billion each year on merchandising alone.
    Ant-man will make them close to half a billion in box office receipts.
    Are we shocked that Marvel fudged around some release dates to accomadate these two characters? Are we really going to pretend there's more at work here than trying to get more of the almight dollar from two proven properties?

#887 Flint Marko, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  13. Bullseye1 Registered

Using your own argument its feasible that it could be put on the long finger indefinitely to make way for proven box office success. If Dr. Strange is a success then maybe they will want to make a sequel of his movie before Captain Marvel too.

14. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Lotta faux outrage if you ask me.

15. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Agreed

16. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

+1!!!

And chickflick, I totally agree with your theory that CM will tie into IW. I was thinking along the same lines. It's a good theory, even if you only half-believe it :p

17. Whiskey Tango Registered

People complained because Wasp was sidelined in the first movie, now she's headlining and it's a PR stunt? Good grief.

18. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

No hero except for Iron Man has ever gotten two movies in the same phase, so I doubt that will start now.

:up:
    :up:

19. Comicbookguy339 Registered

If Marvel had announced 3 or 4 female superhero movies for Phase 3 then the same people who are right now saying "faux outrage" would be crying and moaning way, way harder and accusing Marvel of "pandering to the SJWs". God forbid if we just want one female superhero film.

20. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

And we're going to get it - 5 months later....

God forbid that you have to wait this eternity.

21. T"Challa Registered

I can definitely see both sides of the argument here. I can't fault people for being mad that its going to take over a decade and 20 movies before we see a solo female hero.

But at the same time, from a purely money making standpoint, i can't find much fault with the decision making at Marvel. people like to say 'how come its taken so long to get a non-white male movie on?' Fair question. But i look back at Phase 1 and 2 and i cant point to one movie that should have been taken off the docket in favor of a black widow/Black panther/Captain Marvel movie. The only one is Ant Man, and frankly that movie was made only because of Edgar Wright and the fact that they had already sunk a bunch of money into it since 2008.

Iron Man, Thor and cap will always get sequels as long as the stars are game. They're confirmed moneymakers. And Marvel has made it a point of releasing sequels within a 3 yr window which once again makes sense.

Its very frustrating but Marvel will always work around that bottom line. Characters will be prioritized by how much money they can pull in for better or for worse. Ant Man is going to make 500 mill, that immediately pushes that franchise ahead of BP, Cap Marvel, Strange, Widow etc in terms of importance to the studio

As a fan, i want Marvel Studios to be progressive and shatter barriers when it comes to diversity and representation in film. And its within their power to do so, probably more than any other franchise in hollywood save for Star Wars. But as a businessman, i get their way of thinking. I don't like it, but i get it.

22. Loki882 Registered

Still not the same. "Oh yeah we'll give you a female in a starring, as long as a white also gets to star was well." Also, given how they handled her in the first movie, I don't really trust that she won't end up being Scott Lang's sidekick. Again, this is one area where Marvel HASN'T earned to benefit of the doubt, imo. Other areas, sure, but not here. Their track record thus far is pretty damn dismal.

23. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Iron Man, Spider-Man, Captan America, and Thor will always take priority over everyone else. Those are the main characters and most popular characters in the Marvel Universe. Wolverine too, if they had him.

24. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

There is nothing fake about people's annoyance with Captain Marvel being delayed twice. If you guys don't care then fine but do not dismiss others feelings as fake.

Nobody is arguing with Marvel's massive Hollywood changing success. I do believe that they are really skittish about making Captain Marvel though.

#899 I SEE SPIDEY, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  25. Loki882 Registered

I don't. They could have easily squeezed another movie in there. And as money-making, they made successful films financial-wise out of Thor, Ant Man, and GOTG. So I'm REALLY not buying that they couldn't do the same earlier for a female-led one. They didn't to fart out a Thor sequel a year after TA (because TDW did seem to be made more out of obligation than genuine passion) for example.

And again, if it takes you 11 years and 20 years to finally get around to making even 1, that is pathetic on your part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.