Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki882 Registered

Well that's fandom for you in a nutshell. "My opinion is the right one and if you don't agree with me, then you don't know what you're talking about, there's something wrong with you, or you have an agenda."

And it's funny, someone people complain about others "whining." Well my response is "well you're whining about the alleged whining, so you're no better in that regard."

2. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Good point, but if it's taken over a decade then what's another five months? A lot of these people weren't mad yesterday....Five more months is the stretch that's
    going to send them over? Just a lot of faux outrage. In the greater context it's nothing.

3. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Cap's new team is War Machine, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and Vision. That's pretty diverse. I don't think it's that surprising that the early Marvel years were lacking in this respect given the source material they are basing everything on but they're making progress. The main thing for me is how good the first female led film is. They need to put as much effort into Captain Marvel as they did with the first Iron Man. I can take delays but whether this film really hits the heights and proves once and for all that female led superheroes and films in general can work is what I'm really a little bit desperate to see.

4. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Yes, that's the ticket, say that these two delays don't really annoy me. Great argument. :up:

And by great I mean lazy and pathetic.

5. TeeKay Registered

Well we have to complain about something.:o In all fairness fairness though, people *****ed about Wasp not being in the MCU and Hope not suiting up in Ant-Man. This is all very amusing to me. Its a bummer about the film being delayed for less than 6 months. I'm really surprised by all the negative reaction though. And people acting here as if AntMan is a minor character, he's one of the founding Avengers. Though we know its not Hank in this universe, Wasp and AntMan are a must in the MCU. But to each their own I guess.

6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Doubtful. I could only see a widespread outrage from Marvel fans for their lineup if they did something stupid like taking a super popular character such as Spider-Man/Peter Parker and replaced him with a two-bit knockoff from an alternate universe. Yeah, people would be pissed in that case. But I don't think you would see many complaints about Marvel doing say Spider-Woman and Luke Cage films as opposed to Dr. Strange and Ant-Man.

7. Whiskey Tango Registered

Maybe you can try this post again only without the blanket labeling. It's bollocks. I guarantee you the huge majority of posters here would be all over virtually any female-led supers film Marvel could announce. Save that "boys don't like girl heroes" crap for the videogame industry.

8. Comicbookguy339 Registered

See, Captain Marvel has been pushed back twice (8 months altogether) and Feige has always dodged questions about female superhero films and was very coy and wishy-washy about Captain Marvel/balck Widow for the longest time. This seems like a pattern i.e. he doesn't care about the characters of female-lead films in general. Therefore, it is understandable why the Ant-Man and Wasp title feels like a PR thing as opposed to a genuine attempt at trying to diversify their line-up.

9. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

I didn't complain about Wasp's role because I didn't see Ant-Man. I have no opinion of Ant-Man one way or the other.

So my opinion has dick all to do with Wasp's role in Ant-Man.

10. T"Challa Registered

I agree with everything except the bolded part. There's a reason they stuck so hard to that 2 film a year thing until now. If they could honestly have squeezed more movies in back then without suffering any setbacks they would have. If there's anything we know about Marvel its that they wont leave money on the table.

And they absolutely had to make a Thor sequel. C'mon now its Hollywood science at its best. Loki was his hottest post Avengers and it was 2 yrs removed from the first Thor which is the standard amount of time it takes for sequels to be release. You dont just let franchises lie dormant. And Thor 2 for all its fault still hauled in a bunch of cash. Theres no way to spin that sequel as a bad move financially

We have hindsight in our favor now but these guys started from nothing. They had to learn along the way and frankly, their world didnt blow up until 2012 which isnt that long ago. As for the characters they chose, IM, Thor and Cap were obvious choices. They were generally popular, safe options to build franchises. Once again, i dont like it but it makes sense. And it worked.

11. Whiskey Tango Registered

You just described your own posting style perfectly. Magnifique!

12. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

If you have no interest in Ant-Man, I can definitely see why you would be upset that a film you do care about is being pushed back for a movie you don't care about.

13. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America have been the Avengers Big 3 for over 50 years. If anyone is surprised that those films were the top priority when the MCU was being setup, then they haven't paid any attention to comics for the last half-century.

It would be like complaining about Fox making Wolverine the lead in the first X-Men or WB focusing on Superman and Batman.

14. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Listen I can't argue with Marvel's early strategy, they made the films anybody would make first. I'm not necessarily going to go back in time, those obviously good and profitable decisions they made are fine, whatever. I think now it's now time for a company with a bold reputation to get off their asses and become even bolder. That's where I'm coming from.

#914 I SEE SPIDEY, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  15. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

I can agree with that. Where we differ is that I think you are jumping the gun here and are overly concerned with something that hasn't actually happened yet, namely Captain Marvel getting cancelled or pushed out of Phase 3 entirely. If that happens, I will be right there with you complaining about it. But as long as it is still scheduled to come out before Infinity War 2, as it has always been, I don't think it is time to panic. Not yet.

#915 Kahran Ramsus, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  16. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Trust me, I would never doubt your annoyance with something.

17. T"Challa Registered

Totally agree. They should be bold. The problem is they've grown so successful that they dont HAVE to be bolder. They're essentially a machine now. If Dr Strange blows up, you can bet your ass that Inhumans will be pushed back as well. If Spiderman makes a billion dollars, a black panther sequel will drop right behind the spiderman sequel.

I dont marvel is sexist or is scared of making more representational movies. Its just not a huge priority for them.

18. Whiskey Tango Registered

Would there even be an MCU if they'd chosen to lead with She-Hulk and Squirrel Girl? Loki loves that "20 movies without wimmins" argument but when you take away direct sequels to the universe-establishing Big 3 plus team-based films the track record isn't nearly as one-sided as he would like you to believe.

19. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

I'd be surprised if Captain Marvel gets bumped for a Dr. Strange sequel. If Dr. Strange blows up, they are probably going to want the sequel in the summer and that would mean Inhumans getting pushed back rather than Captain Marvel.

20. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Marvel would probably be bankrupt. It is the foundation of the MCU and the goodwill with audiences built upon the Big 3 that have given them the ability and resources to take chances on lesser properties.

21. Whiskey Tango Registered

:up:

22. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

I get that you think that I am jumping the gun, that's fine. I'm just at the point that I am leery of Marvel (and DC honestly) actually going through with these female led films because of the conventional wisdom in hollywood that female led genre films don't sell, that female led Superheroes don't sell because Catwoman and Elektra flopping had nothing to do with them being unbelievably awful movies that looked deeply unappealing and everything to do with the gender of the protagonist.

23. Whiskey Tango Registered

I wouldn't worry. Disney of all things cannot possible have missed how many girls are into these films as it is and if you don't think they're going to capitalize on that then...

It's taken a long time to get there and now it's taken even longer but there is no deadline and the films aren't pumped out overnight. The simple fact that Carol retained her overall spot before IW2 indicates her importance in the overall scheme.

24. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

That attitude from executives like Jeff Robinov has always turned me off. Catwoman and Elektra didn't flop because they were women, they flopped because they were awful. Just like The Fantastic Four and Green Lantern. To this, I have always been thankful for The Hunger Games because it showed that a female action hero can be a major blockbuster.

25. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Part of the reason why I'm not concerned about this particular film, is that Marvel has spend a number of years revamping Carol Danvers and pushing her as a top flight superhero in all sorts of media, including giving her the tagline Earth's Mightiest Hero. It just doesn't have the look and smell of a character that's being neglected or that they don't have big plans for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.