Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

2. AndrewGilkison

AndrewGilkison Registered

3. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

Well you got me there. Way to have my back, Disney.

Sure you did. Don't worry, I didn't expect you to own up to it though.

Don't really care.

4. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I agree it's not the same thing. I think a solo female-led film is a huge difference over one with equal billing with a male character, I just think she's far more likely to get equal billing in the second. The reason it stands out that her role was so subservient in the first movie is they wrote the character with all the talents of the main star. Then they had to struggle to find a reason to make Scott Lang the star (because he was the one in the title). But the fact that they gave her those talents suggests they'd give her a role fitting them once that artificial restriction is lifted.

This is especially the case when you consider Edgar Wright's original scripts didn't even have her as a character. That means the Marvel-requested rewrites added a ton of material to turn her from a character with no screetime at all to a clearly supporting character, but one with a significant role. Now imagine they start a second movie with the plan to actually have her character so it isn't accomplished through rewrites. Do I think she'll have a bigger role than Paul Rudd? Probably not. Do I think her role will at least be as big as Scarlett Johansson in TWS? Yeah. Maybe bigger if they don't get Michael Douglas to return.

5. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I can't wait until the movie comes out, is amazing, and all of this trivial release date nonsense is completely forgotten.

6. Mike5575

I still er on the side of caution. Her movie has been delayed eight months. It's at a point now that if her movie is delayed any further, she'll miss out on Infinity War and we still have more than three years to go. Anything can happen. TDW was delayed because of creative differences with the director.

Then there's Infinity War. Scheduled to start shooting both IW movies next year for a period of nine months, the Captain Marvel movie has no actress, or director. There's only a couple of screenwriters that haven't done anything yet. This worries me.

Infinity War starts shooting late 2016: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/-Marvel-Shoot-Both-Avengers-Infinity-War-Movies-Together-71113.html

The Captain Marvel screenwriters haven't even started penning a script: http://comicbook.com/2015/10/09/captain-marvel-screenwriters-havent-started-writing-the-script-y/

7. Parker Wayne

Parker Wayne Two Brothers... in a Van

I do admit that it's a rather trivial critique on my part.

8. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

[​IMG]

9. Mike5575

It's obvious you're here just to be a troll, so get lost.

10. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

No. I think you're worrying over nothing. Sorry if you disagree. It happens.

11. Parker Wayne

Parker Wayne Two Brothers... in a Van

The movie's 3 and a half years away. She'll be fine.

12. The_Manhunter

The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

Infinity War is shooting both parts at once as I'm sure you know, and Part 1 comes out almost a year before Captain Marvel so it makes sense that it is significantly further along in development.

13. DanielFM

DanielFM Poor-man's Cap

Yep, but if Captain Marvel is intended to feature in IW2 they should already have at least the actress and the knowledge of what is she going to do by the time they start filming (maybe we could have the weird case of an actress filming for a film and it's sequel simultaneously, or even first for the sequel then for the chronologically-previous solo movie).

14. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Which they probably will. Filming for the IW movies is still a year away. They have time.

15. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Don't think this got posted, but for those interested...like Black Widow recently (with Black Widow: Forever Red) - Captain Marvel will be getting a YA Novel written:

http://www.themarysue.com/captain-marvel-ya-novel/

16. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Nice. I've heard good things about the Black Widow YA novel.

17. TeeKay

TeeKay Registered

:funny:

18. Mike5575

True, but they haven't even started writing the script yet. They at least need a finished script before they can even think about casting. I just hope all these delays doesn't mean a smaller part for Captain Marvel in Infinity War.

19. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Well played.

20. The_Manhunter

I'm not worried, especially since Feige seemed pretty enthusiastic about the character when the film was announced.

21. DanielFM

DanielFM Poor-man's Cap

Facts speak louder than words. They still haven't started writing the script. They just postponed the movie.
    If you ask me, the enthusiasm could have easily faded by now.

22. The_Manhunter

Well, I'm in general a positive person so maybe that accounts for some of my outlook (not to pat myself on the back or anything but I feel like that's relevant here lol). Also, I am really excited for the rest of Marvel's projects as well so while I'm eager to see CM, I'm not mad it got pushed back because it means we are getting more Marvel.

We don't know why it got postponed (could be story reasons), plus the film is 4 years out from release. I'm not worried that they haven't started writing the script yet. Remember Gunn only has 3 years to do GOTG 2, it's the same thing with most Marvel movies - Iron Man 3, The Winter Soldier, GOTG 2, Age of Ultron, and now Ant-Man and the Wasp all had 3 year development times. Also I'm pretty sure Thor: Rangarok only finished it's script just last year as well, even with 4 years between Thor movies. So I think that it's hardly unusual they haven't started writing the script yet.

Just all IMO of course :woot:

23. starwolf_oakley

starwolf_oakley Registered

Captain Marvel has a lot of female characters in her "mythos" that can be used if the current favorite for Carol Danvers is not cast. Yes, most of these characters are connected to Mar-Vell, but we all assume Mar-Vell will have *some* connection to Carol getting her powers.

Una
    Elysius
    Dr. Minerva
    Moonstone/Karla Soften

Una and Dr. Minerva are Kree. Elysius was created by ISAAC as his assistant, although ISAAC should be saved for the Vision/Scarlet Witch movie. (It could happen.)

24. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

The words "This movie is three and a half years away" ought to speak loudly enough for anyone who understands how films are made.

"Enthusiasm could have faded". This early in the process? Are you serious?

25. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Registered

I hate the two delays more than anyone but a script not being written when the film comes out in 2019 is not a big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.