Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the two delays more than anyone but a script not being written when the film comes out in 2019 is not a big deal.

It's not that they haven't written the script, it's that they haven't even started, and they need to have a finished script before they can even think about casting Carol Danvers, and this needs to be done within a year since that's when Infinity War starts filming.

It doesn't take that long to write a script once you actually hunker down and get to it. Hell, it could be on it's 2nd revision by this time next year. They'll have plenty of material to cast Carol with by then, imo.

For blockbusters it's usually 3-6 months (including revisions) to get a shooting script in order and full done. Even then, they make smaller changes all the way through production.

I may be making a fuss out of nothing, but based off comments from the screenwriters, it's almost as if they don't know what to do with Carol because she's almost too powerful. I mean, it would be nice to hear some good news. It's just so frustrating.

No I get it Mike, and if she'd said in that interview that they had met with Marvel a few times and are still trying to work it out, THEN I'd start getting a little worried too. But what she said is basically the equivalent of "our start date is coming up soon," so I'm not gonna read any more into it right now.

I may be making a fuss out of nothing, but based off comments from the screenwriters, it's almost as if they don't know what to do with Carol because she's almost too powerful. I mean, it would be nice to hear some good news. It's just so frustrating.

That's the interpretation many are having, but I didn't get the same vibe when I read the comments themselves. They said they're trying to figure out what her vulnerabilities are. That could mean a lot of different things, not just superhero weaknesses.

Yeah I think they were just talking about the challenges of writing the character, nothing wrong with that. It is challenging writing super powerful characters.

Thor and Vision are both more powerful than CM and Marvel has done right by them IMO. :yay: Plus the screenwriters have barely said anything to my knowledge, how can we judge if they know the character or not yet? :huh:

That interview wasn't terribly encouraging, but I think they'll get there eventually

Vision and Thor are more powerful, yes, and yet we never heard the writers say anything about them being tough to get a handle of, Whedon and the Thor writers knew how to make the characters compelling and didn't need a ton of time to "figure out their weaknesses"

Thor and Vision are both more powerful than CM and Marvel has done right by them IMO. :yay: Plus the screenwriters have barely said anything to my knowledge, how can we judge if they know the character or not yet? :huh:

How do you know how powerful Captain Marvel since she isn't even in the MCU? The fact that the writers have compared Carol to Superman me is consistent with what Kevin Feige said about Carol being "one of, if not THE MOST POWERFUL hero in the MCU.

I can understand the problems with trying to write for such a powerful character. I just hope they don't make her too powerful. The first Thor movie was delayed for a year. Hopefully it's for that reason of being too powerful, because it would make the Captain Marvel delay make more sense.

I certainly hope she's no Supes
characters that unstoppable work better as villains, imo

Thor, while extremely powerful, is still not invincible

I certainly hope she's no Supes
characters that unstoppable work better as villains, imo

Thor, while extremely powerful, is still not invincible

True, but Thor is nigh- invulnerable and he needed someone as cunning and devious as Loki to challenge him. In Thor: TDW, Thor held his own against a villain powered by an infinity stone. Thor may be considered too powerful when standing next to most of the other heroes, but there are ways to make a compelling story with an overpowered hero. Maybe they're weak in other ways. The CM screenwriters asking about her vulnerabilities are probably referring to a mental weakness as opposed to a physical limitation.

I think that it's debatable if Thor is more powerful than Carol. Especially MCU Thor, who seems to have gotten a serious power-downgrade. Carol has a more varied power-set than him at least. I also think that they're handled of him has been decidedly mixed overall.

Given Carol's powerset in the comics, I think she should be a lot more powerful than they make her out to be and the comics haven't done her justice in that regard. I don't mind an overpowered CM smacking Iron Man around like a little biatch, just as long as she doesn't come across as too much of a Mary Sue. I'm pretty sure that's one of the things the writers are trying to figure out.

I'd give her Thor-level strength and durability. That always seems to be about right in my view.

If phase 3 is about phasing out the old guard and introducing a New Avengers roster, then Captain Marvel would make the perfect replacement for Thor. Maybe Thor doesn't die, but retires.

1. They're both hot blondes
2. They have a sense of otherworldly power about them
3. They both have anger issues at times
4. They have similar powers: Flight, super-strength, energy projection, durability
5. They both wear a red cape/sash

Captain Marvel is also a more reliable/stable alternative to Thor or The Hulk. She's half-alien, but not a child of both worlds, so doesn't have split loyalties. Her one and only home is Earth. She's also not insane like the Hulk.

I think that it's debatable if Thor is more powerful than Carol. Especially MCU Thor, who seems to have gotten a serious power-downgrade.

To be fair I expect Carol will be less powerful than her comic counterpart as well. Pretty much across the board, most of the top tier heroes and villains are much less powerful than their comic incarnations.

Hmm, it's actually pretty mixed:

-Thor, Drax, Gamora, and Loki seem less powerful to be sure.
-Hulk is hard to tell because we haven't seen the upper limits of his power yet.
-Cap seems to have gotten a power-boost actually (he's clearly superhuman in the MCU, whereas in the comics it's more ambiguous). Ditto Winter Soldier.
-Vision seems more or less the same so far.
-Scarlet Witch has the excuse of being young/inexperienced and her powers seem to be increasing (she was flying/hovering at the end of AOU, which she couldn't do before).
-Etc.

Cap got a power boost but he's not what I call "top tier" power-wise. He's not wimpy but he's also not so powerful that you'd have a tough time telling stories with him.

With the others you mentioned like Gamora, Drax, Thor, and Loki, it's clear they were nerfed to a degree to either make them fit an ensemble or not make them so powerful that nobody could pose a challenge to them.

Hulk doesn't seem less powerful but they deliberately wrote him as a tactical nuke who only gets called in for certain missions to sort of justify his presence.

Last edited:
To be fair I expect Carol will be less powerful than her comic counterpart as well. Pretty much across the board, most of the top tier heroes and villains are much less powerful than their comic incarnations.
I wouldn't be so sure. As Loki mentioned, they actually raised Cap's power level in the movies. Thor was de-powered because he is ridiculously strong in the comics. I mean, the guy can destroy a planet with one punch. Hard to not just put that kind of power on screen but also to justify a guy like that even needing a team of any kind. Carol in the comics is roughly as strong as MCU Thor, so they might not feel the need to lessen her power at all, as they've already shown they have no problem displaying power at that level. I could see them possibly lessening the potential power of her blasts, though. I hope they don't but that seems like the biggest possibility to me in terms of de-powering her.

So, now that the movie dates have shifted, it looks like Carol will be going up against Shazam. Any thoughts on how this might be played out? All I know is that The Rock is playing Black Adam and Shazam is a knockoff version of Superman that turns into a boy when he says his name. Will DC fans get confused and go watch the Captain Marvel movie instead? I'm not too familiar with DC. Is Shazam even popular like he was back in the day?

Captain Marvel- March 8, 2019
Shazam- April 5, 2019

I wouldn't be so sure. As Loki mentioned, they actually raised Cap's power level in the movies. Thor was de-powered because he is ridiculously strong in the comics. I mean, the guy can destroy a planet with one punch. Hard to not just put that kind of power on screen but also to justify a guy like that even needing a team of any kind. Carol in the comics is roughly as strong as MCU Thor, so they might not feel the need to lessen her power at all, as they've already shown they have no problem displaying power at that level. I could see them possibly lessening the potential power of her blasts, though. I hope they don't but that seems like the biggest possibility to me in terms of de-powering her.

Tbh, I wouldn't mind a movie where Carol punches a planet in half. Really, I just want Captain Marvel to have all the powers she has in the comics, especially energy absorption and flight. They probably only need to nerf her down a little bit to match Thor, but how will they do her binary powers?

We don't even know if they'll DO her Binary powers. If they're having trouble figuring out how to level her abilities in relation to the rest of the MCU I can't imagine they'd think making her even infinitely more powerful would help matters.

Yeah, they should focus on getting her character and powers right first. Maybe she could go binary in Captain Marvel 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"