Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, but I'm sure there are some big Russian or German women who could beat up actors like Charlie Day.
Karen Gillan is confident that she can beat up some dudes.

but anyway, if they are salty because a woman is the strongest superhero then that's ridiculous.

giphy.gif

Well, I guess that explains the Skrulls. :o

That’s cool! The budget for Armageddon was 140 milk and Independence Day was only $75 mill.

Cute, I am looking forward to kawaii fury and kawaii Coulson

Oh my gosh I am so excited!! I wonder what we will see! Of course, marvel have put fake scenes in their trailers before so who knows!?

This is an interesting theory, I love stuff like this

[URL]https://www.slashfilm.com/captain-marvel-fan-theory/[/url]

During the scene when Tony Stark comes to Peter Parker’s apartment for the first time and confronts him about being Spider-Man, Tony shows Peter some videos of the webslinger in action. “That’s you, right?” he says. Peter tries to deny it, calling it a fake that was done on the computer. “It’s like that video…” Peter says, and Stark cuts him off: “Oh, you mean like those UFOs over Phoenix?” just as he discovers the Spidey suit and Peter’s cover is officially blown.

The fan theory says that the “UFOs over Phoenix” line means that The Phoenix Lights happened in the world of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. For those who don’t know, the Phoenix Lights is the name given to a series of unidentified flying objects that were seen over the skies of Mexico, Nevada, and Arizona on March 13, 1997. Thousands of people witnessed this event (so it wasn’t just the ravings of a single madman), and many claimed to have seen a triangular-shaped UFO with five lights on it.

I can't wait to see the trailer. I have a good feeling Captain Marvel will be the Black Panther of 2019.

C'mon, aim a little higher man. :) The "BP's the best MCU flick" stuff is so overplayed. Panther had some really nice emotional beats to it and some nice production design, but hopefully this "feels" a little more like Phase 1 and is shot more that way. That third act CG-fest in Panther was so beyond lame, felt nothin' at all as the two computer models danced around slashing at one another.

Way more hoping for Iron Man 1 + Guardians in a tonal blender with this thing. With a generous dash of The First Avenger responsibility-and-heroism.

Panther's cool and all, but this should be a pretty different movie to that, not sure that should be what we're aiming for here. This'll be light on the politicking and big on the "MCU's replacement for Captain America (personality/role wise) with Thor level powers taking on the evil-for-the-sake-of-evil lizard people", methinks. More straight down the line good V.S. bad, not a deconstruction.

Just hoping upon hope they ease up on the ****ing greenscreen this time around too. There's more of a reason not to do it here since there are a lot of more real backgrounds you can use on earth, don't have to create huge fictional cities & vistas and stuff, and it's set pre-Favreau era. Obviously there'll be a digital necessity on some of the aliens/craft stuff, but there's a nice opportunity here to go a little more Favreau/Johnston with some of this.

EDIT: Lots more whineing over the power level thing, I see. :whatever: Now I hope they do make her clearly up-and-above Thor on his best day for the MCU, if only to bug these types into their hilarious b*tching-fests. Go for it, if there's anyone earth-based within Marvel who should be able to take on Thor, along with Hulk, it's Carol.

Steve's more powerful than the books in the movies, so why not? She's already right on-par with him in the books anyway, let's just up her another 10-15% for the movies. If only for our own amusement at the usual suspect's meltdown over it.

the fans are usually negative before the film is even released.

when the movie is out, they will accept CM >>>> Thor, Hulk easily.

Last edited:
C'mon, aim a little higher man. :) The "BP's the best MCU flick" stuff is so overplayed. Panther had some really nice emotional beats to it and some nice production design, but hopefully this "feels" a little more like Phase 1 and is shot more that way. That third act CG-fest in Panther was so beyond lame, felt nothin' at all as the two computer models danced around slashing at one another.

Way more hoping for Iron Man 1 + Guardians in a tonal blender with this thing. With a generous dash of The First Avenger responsibility-and-heroism.

Panther's cool and all, but this should be a pretty different movie to that, not sure that should be what we're aiming for here. This'll be light on the politicking and big on the "MCU's replacement for Captain America (personality/role wise) with Thor level powers taking on the evil-for-the-sake-of-evil lizard people", methinks. More straight down the line good V.S. bad, not a deconstruction.

Just hoping upon hope they ease up on the ****ing greenscreen this time around too. There's more of a reason not to do it here since there are a lot of more real backgrounds you can use on earth, don't have to create huge fictional cities & vistas and stuff, and it's set pre-Favreau era. Obviously there'll be a digital necessity on some of the aliens/craft stuff, but there's a nice opportunity here to go a little more Favreau/Johnston with some of this.

EDIT: Lots more whineing over the power level thing, I see. :whatever: Now I hope they do make her clearly up-and-above Thor on his best day for the MCU, if only to bug these types into their hilarious b*tching-fests. Go for it, if there's anyone earth-based within Marvel who should be able to take on Thor, along with Hulk, it's Carol.

Steve's more powerful than the books in the movies, so why not? She's already right on-par with him in the books anyway, let's just up her another 10-15% for the movies. If only for our own amusement at the usual suspect's meltdown over it.
I thought he was talking about the "BP of 2019" as in the equivalent success story, which would be about as ambitious as you can get for a new solo given that it is 3rd all time domestic. Probably quite a bit too ambitious.

I thought he was talking about the "BP of 2019" as in the equivalent success story, which would be about as ambitious as you can get for a new solo given that it is 3rd all time domestic. Probably quite a bit too ambitious.

Dunno, it's the last film before avengers 4 with no time for dvd's or a good stream to come out. Many people will watch it so they don't miss any of the story.
Bp did have a boost from a lot of black people going to see it (i think the percentage of black viewers went from 14% for a normal mcu film to 30% for black panther although i'm sure someone will correct me). Also the 90's setting might mean some wont feel the need. But you might get more women going.

It will be difficult to beat bp, many saw that film as a game changer. We've already had ww so not sure if this will be viewed in the same light.

It is funny but growing up many feminists hated comics feeling they over sexualised women nowadays they are all demanding women superheroe films.

Yeah, if we're talking purely financially, I doubt this goes quite as gangbusters as Black Panther.

Not to say it'll be low or anything, but probably more middle-of-the-road among MCU solo stuff.

Been reading up on some recent CM books, since everything I know about her comes from the Avengers stories.
I just LOVE the relationship between her and Tracy.
If they want to squeeze in some comedy, it's the perfect choice.

IMO Charlie would be great Spidey-villain.
The Dayman!

He/She was talking about CM breaking out as BP did. Obviously you didn't like BP, but that's a long essay for nothing.

Dunno, it's the last film before avengers 4 with no time for dvd's or a good stream to come out. Many people will watch it so they don't miss any of the story.
Bp did have a boost from a lot of black people going to see it (i think the percentage of black viewers went from 14% for a normal mcu film to 30% for black panther although i'm sure someone will correct me). Also the 90's setting might mean some wont feel the need. But you might get more women going.

It will be difficult to beat bp, many saw that film as a game changer. We've already had ww so not sure if this will be viewed in the same light.

It is funny but growing up many feminists hated comics feeling they over sexualised women nowadays they are all demanding women superheroe films.
Overseas it might be close. The domestic number is too much of a freak to think about right now, outdoing even Infinity War.

Yeah it is a little ironic, and I think it also applies to parents telling their kids to stop reading childish comics and then one of the biggest cultural moves (that they all jump in on) takes place thanks to those characters. The kind of move that doesn't happen easily through "more mature" avenues like regular politics. It shows how much influence CBMs have nowadays compared to their more humble roots.

Well also, women can now look forward to a more respectful treatment than they got in comics most of the time. Feminists were right about older comics, they were sexist as bad place for the most part. Some of the art in the 90’s especially was ridiculous. Turns out, when you make a medium/genre more accessible and respectful toward other genders and races, they might actually become more interested in it. Who knew? ;)

Last edited:
He/She was talking about CM breaking out as BP did. Obviously you didn't like BP, but that's a long essay for nothing.

Err, who didn't like BP? It was really good. The point being made is it gets a little too much salivating love, and is a pretty different movie tonally than what a Captain Marvel flick probably should be, or what they're likely going for.

If we're talking finances, then yeah, BP's likely going to outgross Carol's movie when the dust settles. It did big bucks.

Well also, women can now look forward to a more respectful treatment than they got in comics most of the time. Feminists were right about older comics, they were sexist as bad place for the most part. Some of the art in the 90’s especially was ridiculous. Turns out, when you make a medium/genre more accessible and respectful toward other genders and races, they might actually become more interested in it. Who knew? ;)

Yeah not like harley quinn and wonderwoman wore sexy outfits in the films. They are no longer images that young women will find difficult to aspire too. (Which was a stupid argument anyway, boys had he-man, which ofcourse is a body shape we all have these days).

Yeah not like harley quinn and wonderwoman wore sexy outfits in the films. They are no longer images that young women will find difficult to aspire too. (Which was a stupid argument anyway, boys had he-man, which ofcourse is a body shape we all have these days).
And those rightfully got criticized for their outfits. But things are without a doubt improving. And there’s a difference between female sexualization and the male “equivalent” you present - the latter is a male power fantasy (“he-man bodies”) - both are fantasies geared toward men. If women drew comics with objectification of men in mind, they wouldn’t look like ‘roided out bodybuilders. That’s all about feeding the male “machismo” aesthetic.

That would be amazing. I don’t think it will be making quite those numbers but there is potential to do huge numbers overseas especially.
I think it has similarities with it being A: An MCU first (first female-led), B: A film which stars a pair of beloved supporting characters (Black Panther: Ulysses Klaue and Everett Ross, Captain Marvel: Nick Fury and, yes, Coulson), C: A film many are anticipating for the representation it promises for a specific group of people and D: Captain Marvel being a character already confirmed to pop up in the MCU instalment that follows its release.

Yes, this is what I meant.

I think it has similarities with it being A: An MCU first (first female-led), B: A film which stars a pair of beloved supporting characters (Black Panther: Ulysses Klaue and Everett Ross, Captain Marvel: Nick Fury and, yes, Coulson), C: A film many are anticipating for the representation it promises for a specific group of people and D: Captain Marvel being a character already confirmed to pop up in the MCU instalment that follows its release.
All that yes, plus it is going to have larger scale IMO than many of the solos in its own right, as well as being the lead in film for the biggest event of the lot. It will be good to get a more serious space series in the MCU too.

I mean, you only have to see her portrayal of Nebula to see that Karen Gillan is a total badass. I can't believe she's still single.
I love her as Nebula but didn't know she was in Jumanji till I started watching it. I find her very likeable and hope she gets other good roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"