Captain Marvel Spoilers Thread

They don't call her captain marvel for nothing. Bow chicka wow wow.

Holy Moley, it was removed.
I got to copy it:
1- Skrulls are being hunted by the Kree and painted as the bad guys through propaganda.

2- Talos is looking for his wife and children, who Mar-Vell hid from the Kree on a space station orbiting Earth.

3- The Kree are a warrior race and they need conflict to survive.

4- Both sides are fighting for the Tesseract-powered lightspeed engine that Carol was testing, under the Pegasus Project.

5- The villains is "metaphorical", as in everybody who tells Carol to not be better. Yon Rogg is a bad mentor whose purpose is to undermine her and tell her she is nothing without the powers the Kree gave to her.

Don't go crazy with these. A guy might lose his job.
Also
6. Marvell developed Pegasus in hopes to end the war.
7. Talos accuses Fury of being an skrull, which is why SHIELD goes after him.
8. The reason why Goose scratches Fury's eye is because she's on her period.
9. One of the jokes is : "Do you know why they call it the COCK PIT?"
And unlike what others said, Yon-Rogg wasn't disguised as an scientist on Earth. Could it be that Marvel showed a different cut?

Oh for ****'s sake. Hate a lot of this Kree/Skrulls stuff so much. :mad: We've already basically seen this dynamic & message at play twice in IM3 & TWS. And it works great there. But a third time, with aliens?

Just reeks of being so ****ing lazy, expected, pander-y & two-dimensional. No layers to this war, just
"one's screwed over the other and the latter's actually pretty innocent and looking for revenge"?
:down Bummer, dude.

Still, loving everything else we've seen of the tone, the performances, all the rest is going to be fun. Just, blahh, another "enemy from within" fakeout. Done it already. The shapeshifting/impersonation stuff's obviously a huge part of what the Skrulls are, but their motivations shouldn't be noble/sympathetic for doing it.

The Kree being ruthless pr*cks shouldnt mean the Skrulls have to be these hard-done-by victims, screw that. Just have them both be malevolent & bad news if you happen to be a human being, only the Kree aren't as bad in an immediate sense within this story due to not having any intention of taking over Earth.

Last edited:
I am confident that there is going to be use of the Skrulls as baddies further in the MCU post CM. They can be somewhat sympathetic in this story yet still be a threat that must be dealt with because of their actions in other stories.

The Skrulls are a different threat than say Thanos in the Infinity Stones mega arc of the MCU so far. Essentially he's a singular threat, even with "followers". He's the individual of singular will that put the Stones story into motion. He's "mad" and thwarting him, no matter the wrinkles in the story make for a much simpler response by the heroes, no matter the "complexity" of the plan we may see in Endgame that the heroes employ.

The Skrulls present a more complex adversary that requires a more nuanced approach and this isn't about their shape shifting, though that would add a compelling ingredient of paranoia to the mix. No, this is more along the lines of the moral and ethical quandaries we know from stuff like Star Trek or Babylon 5. This is not simply engaging one singular villainous character. If used in the post CM story, it would be about engaging with an alien race with their own culture, internal politics, religion and self-interests. Unless suddenly the heroes all go Punisher, the option of total destruction of the Skrull homeworld and race is off the table, even assuming the heroes could pull that off. It just would logically be more subject to context than the straight forward "Bad guy has macguffin that we need to neutralize or work around."

If they continue using the Skrulls, and I am currently of the mind that CM is a bit of a "back door pilot" for the beginning of the next mega arc of the MCU post Endgame and finishing the Thanos story in some type of gloss on Secret Invasion/Kree Skrull War, then they will have a chance to shine as much less ambiguous antagonists.

Both races have always had a few outliers that are more neutral or not as willing to do **** because it's what the higher-ups want. They're both pretty opportunistic though when it comes to seeking power.

Yeah. Not gonna get too down on it given context is everything, the movie's only a couple of days away. And I'm actually pretty much hyped for this one more than any non-Avengers MCU flick in a long time, maybe since IM3, TWS days. So much good stuff going for it.

Just a little bummed about that, if true, pretty much exactly what I've been smelling from the Kree/Skrull stuff here for a while now, didn't want to jump to conclusions.

I dunno. The annoyance will be tempered a good deal if at least the Skrulls are portrayed as genuine ***holes in their own right, I don't mind Talos
having some personal stakes at play with his family (in fact a grudge on his part is a good thing in terms of getting more into the guy's head a little), just so long as it's not like "the Skrulls were decent people minding their own business until Big Bad Marauding Kree came along and did something to them a couple generations ago, setting the Skrulls out on some righteous path of restitution" type of bull****.

So long as it's not all eye-rolling critical-thinking-devoid simplistic war-on-terror-from-a-Berkeley-Professor-perspective crap like that, there's a way it'll work. They just both need to be portrayed as unlikeable conquering warrior cultures, basically - even if Talos has a legit grievance, that's fine, they'd just better not freakin' be portrayed as victims of the Kree, "they were never a threat until Ronan & Co screwed them over" type of thing. Gotta be bad malevolent mofos as an overall people, same as the Kree, just with different goals.

Still, so glad this movie's here. Early screening Wednesday night babyyyyy!

From the Marvel Studios Spoilers reddit, someone who saw the film:

Can confirm both end credits sequences. First is endgame. Second is a joke a’la 2nd scene of Ant-Man and The Wasp.

Big twist: Skrulls are good. Kree and Yon-Rogg are bad. Quick spoiler breakdown: Annette Bening is Mar-Vell, she was trying to help skrulls develop lightspeed device using the tesseract and aid them in reaching far reaches of space. Carol is flying Mar-Vell on earth in 1989 when Yon-Rogg attacks and kills Mar-Vell. Mar-Vell tells carol to destroy the ship’s engine. When carol shoots it (the engine was powered/made by tesseract) she absorbs the powers like how they made Scarlett witch and quicksilver. She also loses her memories so for 6 years Yon-Rogg and team train her and at the same time suppress her full potential. During a mission she is captured by skrulls looking for the tesseract and Mar-Vell to help them find a home.

They end up on Earth and eventually learn Talos is a good guy and work with him to find the Skrulls and Mar-Vell’s lab. Then carol defeats yon-Rogg and supreme intelligence who was suppressing her powers. Yon-Rogg calls Ronan to destroy Earth. With her full powers, Carol destroys one of Ronan’s bombers and part of his fleet and he flees the galaxy. The tesseract is swallowed by the cat and carol tells Fury to keep him safe after updating his pager so it can reach other galaxies. She flies off to end the kree war. Fury tells coulson they need to find more like her and he names it the avenger initiative because that was her pilot call sign.

1st post credits: cap, widow, Rhodes, and banner are discussing the pager stopped working. Then she appears behind them and says where is Fury?

2nd is the cat throwing up the tesseract

Balls. ^ :csad:

But bwaha, trying to picture how the hell a cat's going to swallow the Tesseract. :oldrazz: Isn't that thing like...the size of a cat's head? Heh. Unless they mean just the stone itself out of the casing, seems like S.H.I.E.L.D. hadn't figured that out by Avengers though.

Balls. ^ :csad:

But bwaha, trying to picture how the hell a cat's going to swallow the Tesseract. :oldrazz: Isn't that thing like...the size of a cat's head? Heh. Unless they mean just the stone itself out of the casing, seems like S.H.I.E.L.D. hadn't figured that out by Avengers though.
Well, we know he's not exactly your everyday cat lol.

What I find funnier is that the big mystery behind Nick's eye is a "cat" scratch. How amusingly anticlimactic lol.

I'm sure they mean the whole Tesseract, lol...

efca43a46dd28d3c7822b2ab71166e1b.png

Can confirm both end credits sequences. First is endgame. Second is a joke a’la 2nd scene of Ant-Man and The Wasp.

Big twist: Skrulls are good. Kree and Yon-Rogg are bad. Quick spoiler breakdown: Annette Bening is Mar-Vell, she was trying to help skrulls develop lightspeed device using the tesseract and aid them in reaching far reaches of space. Carol is flying Mar-Vell on earth in 1989 when Yon-Rogg attacks and kills Mar-Vell. Mar-Vell tells carol to destroy the ship’s engine. When carol shoots it (the engine was powered/made by tesseract) she absorbs the powers like how they made Scarlett witch and quicksilver. She also loses her memories so for 6 years Yon-Rogg and team train her and at the same time suppress her full potential. During a mission she is captured by skrulls looking for the tesseract and Mar-Vell to help them find a home.

They end up on Earth and eventually learn Talos is a good guy and work with him to find the Skrulls and Mar-Vell’s lab. Then carol defeats yon-Rogg and supreme intelligence who was suppressing her powers. Yon-Rogg calls Ronan to destroy Earth. With her full powers, Carol destroys one of Ronan’s bombers and part of his fleet and he flees the galaxy. The tesseract is swallowed by the cat and carol tells Fury to keep him safe after updating his pager so it can reach other galaxies. She flies off to end the kree war. Fury tells coulson they need to find more like her and he names it the avenger initiative because that was her pilot call sign.

1st post credits: cap, widow, Rhodes, and banner are discussing the pager stopped working. Then she appears behind them and says where is Fury?

So then one wonders what happened to Goose by the time Fury shows Selvig the Tesseract at the end of Thor.

Wait... does this mean Goose stayed on earth and not with Carol? :(

Its not that I have any problems with those spoilers per se, but it just feel so... predictable. After seeing that second trailer, that was my outline of the whole thing allmost bit by bit. I hope(d) for some surprises. Not that i will judge it before seeing it, mind you.

If they intend to use the skrulls going forward, maybe they want to introduce them a bit more neutrally at first. Not good and not bad. And that way they can have a base from which to develop them going forward.

As has been said, Thanos is just one person. The Skrulls are an entire species and so they'll have goo bad and everything in between represented within their population. If they spend the time on developing them and growing their presence over the course of some movies they could become a really interesting villain and a really different one compared to their first big villain of Thanos.

Well if they are searching for a new planet to inhabit, and they (clearly) no longer have access to the tesseract after this film, maybe they decide to make Earth their new home... subtly at first, they hide and try to assimilate, but as the years go on they grow more militant and feel they could run the planet better than we do

But yeah, hopefully they're not pure good and sow seeds of their eventual invasion

Wait so this film changes the idea for the Avenger initiative where Cap's heroics from the past no longer serves as an inspiration for it so that they could make Carol the reason behind it?

That is just messed up if true. This is Supergirl all over again (e.g her being the source of inspiration for the Legion instead of Superman).

Wait so this film changes the idea for the Avenger initiative where Cap's heroics from the past no longer serves as an inspiration for it so that they could make Carol the reason behind it?

That is just messed up if true. This is Supergirl all over again (e.g her being the source of inspiration for the Legion instead of Superman).

Never change herolee... Never change.

Well I guess when I look at the film as a whole, it does pretty much recton a lot of things.

The first Avengers had Fury saying that it was the New Mexico incident in Thor's first film that made Fury aware of the existence of aliens.

Yet this film states that he has known about it since the 90's.

So is Captain America no longer the first Avenger? If Carol is the source of inspiration for the idea of the Avengers, then doesn't that make her the first?

I never had a problem with the idea that Carol could become Sfeve's successor someday after his character was either killed or retired though I never imagined that they go to this length to do so.

Yeah. Not gonna get too down on it given context is everything, the movie's only a couple of days away. And I'm actually pretty much hyped for this one more than any non-Avengers MCU flick in a long time, maybe since IM3, TWS days. So much good stuff going for it.

Just a little bummed about that, if true, pretty much exactly what I've been smelling from the Kree/Skrull stuff here for a while now, didn't want to jump to conclusions.

I dunno. The annoyance will be tempered a good deal if at least the Skrulls are portrayed as genuine ***holes in their own right, I don't mind Talos
having some personal stakes at play with his family (in fact a grudge on his part is a good thing in terms of getting more into the guy's head a little), just so long as it's not like "the Skrulls were decent people minding their own business until Big Bad Marauding Kree came along and did something to them a couple generations ago, setting the Skrulls out on some righteous path of restitution" type of bull****.

So long as it's not all eye-rolling critical-thinking-devoid simplistic war-on-terror-from-a-Berkeley-Professor-perspective crap like that, there's a way it'll work. They just both need to be portrayed as unlikeable conquering warrior cultures, basically - even if Talos has a legit grievance, that's fine, they'd just better not freakin' be portrayed as victims of the Kree, "they were never a threat until Ronan & Co screwed them over" type of thing. Gotta be bad malevolent mofos as an overall people, same as the Kree, just with different goals.

Still, so glad this movie's here. Early screening Wednesday night babyyyyy!

Except the Skrulls becoming a malevolent force due in large part to the actions of the Kree isn't the result of some "Berkley" poli sci prof. critique of modern geo-politics... It's the story as it's been in the comics for decades as developed by Marvel comics creators from Stan and Jack to Roy Thomas.

From the wikipedia entry on 616 Skrull history:

Eventually, the Skrulls developed long-distance space travel; a great tour of the universe was undertaken, led by Emperor Dorrek. Finally, the Skrull delegation reached the planet Hala, home to the then-barbaric Kree and the peaceful Cotati, and held a contest to determine which of the races would represent Hala to the Skrull Empire. Seventeen members of each race were taken to different uninhabited planetoids where they were left with sufficient supplies for one year. At the end of that period, whichever group had done the most with themselves would be adjudged the most worthy. The Kree were taken to Earth's Moon where they built a great city while the Cotati were taken to another barren world in a different solar system and used their abilities to create a beautiful park. Realizing that the Cotati were going to win, the enraged Kree killed all the Cotati. When the Kree revealed that they had solved the question of who would represent Hala to the Skrulls by destroying their opposition, the Skrull delegates were appalled and vowed that Hala would forever be banned from their circle of favored worlds—so the Kree massacred them as well, took over the Skrull landing spaceship by force, and developed their own technology from it.

Because of the immense distances involved, decades passed before the Skrulls learned of the Kree's activities. By this time it was too late. The Kree were now advanced and audacious enough to attack the Skrulls in their home galaxy. During the millennia that followed, the Kree aggression forced the Skrulls to become a militaristic civilization, and the Skrulls eventually developed the vicious streak needed to conduct intergalactic war. Their entire culture was remade in the warrior image.

So... No this actually not something new. It's adapting this aspect from the comics, just more compact for the purpose of fitting it into a less sprawling medium narrative wise than the comics.

There are some screen grabs of the post credit scene floating around. Obviously will not post here.

I'd have preferred if it was Janet who came up with it.

But the first Cap movie was titled The First Avenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"