The Rise of Skywalker Carrie Fisher as Leia Organa (IX)

MagnarTheGreat

Web Ninja
Reaction score
The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher [in Episode IX], using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

J. J. Abrams: “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher. Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie [Lourd], we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.” (July 27, 2018)

Todd Fisher: “They have arranged it in the script and what was shot to bring her into the story in a way as if they filmed it yesterday. Isn’t that magical, that the things that she shot a few years ago are frozen in time, so to speak, and been reborn into the final ‘Star Wars’ where she is the character that needed to continue?” “It is not just me as a brother, I have a connection to this thing that is different but I am also a fan of the story line, but it is my sister. My sister and Princess Leia are the same thing. And the idea of that story stopping and her not carrying forward is very disturbing to me. I kept saying to people, ‘No, no, this needs to continue.’ I know I was even a little annoying to Disney. I kept saying from the brother’s perspective we would want to see Carrie continue, of course. And the fans, I think, we could even use the word demand this to carry on. It is awesome that it worked out this way and thanks to [‘Episode IX’ director] J.J. Abrams. This is going to be very magical and important to us all.” “As you know, when you make a movie there are lot of things that end up, as they say, on the cutting room floor. Outtakes — a lot of things that don’t make it into the movie sometimes. In this case, it was difficult for people to want to go back to look at every frame of footage to see what was usable or what could be used in this fashion and then to create a way to weave it into the script… it is not an easy task.” “[My sister’s daughter, actress Billie Lourd,] is really sensitive to the whole thing… obviously we want to protect Carrie… and we are sensitive to how things are done and why they are done. This is one that you have got to embrace with a big hug.” (July 28, 2018)

Todd Fisher: “[What hints has J. J. Abrams given you as to the footage used for Leia in Star Wars: Episode IX?] There are things we know that I can’t say. [..] No, we’re not allowed to talk much further than that. I can stay in the area we’re in but not into too many specifics. But yeah I was given some information about the things that were there but I can’t address it. Suffice it to say that you’ve seen what was in the – what was the name of the last film? Not the most recent one – but the one [before] The Last Jedi – The Force Awakens. So all of this footage obviously was shot around The Force Awakens so if you look at all the scenes that were in The Force Awakens you can kind of imagine some things that could be made available (grins). I think one of the all time greatest scenes – well one of my favorite things Carrie’s ever done – is the last movie and when she says, ‘May the Force be with you,’ I mean it’s (heartstrings hand gestures) like, you know, so those words – you are hanging on them. So there’s a lot of those words and it’s some of her best acting. I can tell you in my view and I’ve known her since she didn’t know anything about acting, it’s remarkable, she’s really killing it.” (July 28, 2018)

Todd Fisher: “I couldn’t be more personally thrilled and happy that our Carrie will reprise her role as Princess Leia in the new and final ‘Star Wars Episode IX,’ using previously unreleased footage of her shot for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As we, her family, as well as her extended family of fans around the world so believe, Carrie’s ‘Princess Leia’ is forever entrenched in the franchise and her indelible presence is fundamental to the film. J.J. Abrams understood Carrie’s iconic role, and he has masterfully re-crafted this final entry to include this unused and very last footage of Carrie ever taken, without resorting to CGI or animatronics. Our family and her fans will look forward with great anticipation for this one!” (July 28, 2018)

Todd Fisher: "J.J. [Abrams] really made [Leia in Star Wars: Episode IX] happen." "If I was in anyway an inspiration for the final decision to keep Leia a part of the story, that's great. I must say at times I felt like a voice crying in the wilderness." (July 28, 2018)

Last edited:
I love that Carrie Fisher can finish this trilogy as General Leia beyond her grave with archival footage.

This makes me feel a little better about Episode IX, especially since they got her family's blessing and it doesn't seem like it'll be a CGI Frankenstein'd Leia.

Great news indeed and even better that any debate about recasting Carrie is officially quashed.

Seeing now that Leia's story can be seen out in the saga well enough with what they have is cool.

Recast and CGI would have been disastrous, and like everyone else I'm really happy JJ has found a way to recycle footage so we can see her again.

Biggest concern obviously is how well this footage can be integrated into the story of 9. Pretty confident though. This will be heavily scrutinized and everyone involved knows it. With time to prepare, the best effects in the business and the families' support and blessing, I think Carrie will be respected.

I am curious to see how this archival footage can possibly give her a proper ending.

Todd Fisher: (paraphrase) “There are big surprises coming – with this movie [Star Wars: Episode IX], and with this performance and with this unused footage [of Carrie Fisher as Leia] – This one is really for the fans.” (August 3, 2018)

8181BD2F-6FEF-40E4-BE37-2B75EED374FD.jpg

Good Morning America - Todd Fisher on Carrie's continuing legacy: 'There's a lot more to come' (Todd Fisher quote archive)

Carrie Fisher will make one final appearance as Leia Organa in the ninth episode of the "Star Wars" Skywalker saga, opening in December 2019. Todd Fisher says director J.J. Abrams has shared plans to incorporate several minutes of unused footage of his sister, originally shot for “The Force Awakens” and “The Last Jedi” into the still-untitled film.

“There’s a lot of minutes of footage. I don’t mean just outtakes,” Todd Fisher said. “This is unused, new content that could be woven into the storyline. That’s what’s going to give everybody such a great kick. It’s going to look like it was meant to be. Like it was shot yesterday.”

“We’re not allowed to talk about the details of anything,” he added. “But we’re thrilled at what’s been done.”

I hope this doesn't end up feeling like a big budget version of those Mighty Morphin Power Rangers episodes where they used old footage for the three rangers that left the show in the second season.

Well, that's pretty much exactly what it's going to have to be if they're using unused old footage.

But how much will it feel like it? That's what I'm worried about.

J. J. Abrams: “You don’t recast [Leia] and you don’t suddenly have her disappear. The weird miracle of having a number of scenes from ‘Force Awakens’ that had gone unused, looking at those scenes and starting to understand that there was an actually a way to use those scenes and continue her story, so that it would be her. The idea of having a CGI character was off the table… we said, ‘What if we could write scenes about her so it’s her performance?'” “Every day, it hits me that she’s not here. It’s so surreal because we are working with her still, if that makes sense. She’s in scenes. She’s alive in scenes.” (April 12, 2019)

Anyone else think these shots of Leia and Rey embracing with Rey crying were from a scene of her learning she was a Skywalker (originally shot for TFA)?
I hope so!

This is the iffiest thing going in for me. I imagine they'll use a double? Like we see the back of her head and hear her voice from old scenes, but that's the replacement?

That was Princess Leia's Theme in the teaser. Episode IX was supposed to be her time to get some focus like Han did in VII and Luke did in VIII.

I don't think that would be Rey's reaction if she found out she was a Skywalker. She would more likely be shocked and confused, not weeping.

J. J. Abrams: “You don’t recast [Leia] and you don’t suddenly have her disappear. The weird miracle of having a number of scenes from ‘Force Awakens’ that had gone unused, looking at those scenes and starting to understand that there was an actually a way to use those scenes and continue her story, so that it would be her. The idea of having a CGI character was off the table… we said, ‘What if we could write scenes about her so it’s her performance?'” “Every day, it hits me that she’s not here. It’s so surreal because we are working with her still, if that makes sense. She’s in scenes. She’s alive in scenes.” (April 12, 2019)

J. J. Abrams: “When we first started working on the story, we realized immediately we could not tell the story without [Carrie Fisher as Leia]. There had been a number of scenes that we had filmed and not used for Episode VII and I compiled the footage and watched it and it was like finding this impossible answer to an impossible question. We could tell her story with these pieces that she had shot so she’s in the movie – it’s her she’s in the film. She’s performing these scenes.” (April 12, 2019)

J. J. Abrams: (1:10) “Then we went back and looked at the footage that we had cut which I had bemoaned doing at the time on Episode VII and we realized we had the answer to our impossible question weirdly in this footage [of Leia].” (April 12, 2019)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"