The Last Jedi Carrie Fisher as Leia Organa (VIII)

MagnarTheGreat

Web Ninja
Reaction score
Carrie Fisher returns in Star Wars: Episode VIII. She portrayed Resistance General Leia Organa in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the sister who searches for Luke Skywalker, the estranged wife of Han Solo, and the mother of First Order commander Kylo Ren.

Discuss!

Last edited:
She was robbed of a couple of VERY important moments in TFA, so I hope that's rectified in VIII. I don't care if Carrie's half-mad or not, they owe Leia more than what she got.

She was robbed of a couple of VERY important moments in TFA, so I hope that's rectified in VIII. I don't care if Carrie's half-mad or not, they owe Leia more than what she got.

I think the spare usage of her was appropriate but I do agree there were some necessary moments omitted, mainly with her and Chewie. Her grief over Han and her son need to be further developed as the story continues. Leia is by nature a resilient and strong leader but what went down in VII had to have been a deep, lasting blow.

Agree with ...the only two posts here so far. lols. I am sure we'll see more of Leia as the story unfolds in VIII. I hope...

Cause really...the loss of Han was a deep blow, to me. It hurt so much inside that I could feel what Leia was feeling. I wanted to hug her. But I liked that she got a hug from Rey in the end...aww. Leia is sort of like...the kind of mother I would love to have as my own...even if she adopted me. lols. Despite her...flaws and all, I still love Leia because by nature (yes I am quoting you, Brother Jack) a resilient and strong leader who in a lot of ways has lost too much already (Alderaan, her adoptive parents, loses her son to the dark side but loses Han in the process even Luke who turns his back on everything when Leia needed him, and now has to deal with Han's death at the hands of Kylo Ren...her...lost son). :(

I hope we'll see a touching reunion between Leia and Luke and their theme from ROTJ is played in the background. "It's okay, sis. I am here. I'm sorry...I wished I listened to you before I left you and everyone else...but you know why I had to."

I think the spare usage of her was appropriate but I do agree there were some necessary moments omitted, mainly with her and Chewie. Her grief over Han and her son need to be further developed as the story continues. Leia is by nature a resilient and strong leader but what went down in VII had to have been a deep, lasting blow.

1.The hug between her and Rey shoulda been between her and Chewie.
2.Leia gave Han an entire speech about bringing their boy home together; then sends Han... solo.
3."Desperate to find her brother" in the crawl, gasps when the map is complete near the end, sends everyone else to meet Luke.

Waiting for the posts saying she's too busy being a General.

1.The hug between her and Rey shoulda been between her and Chewie.
2.Leia gave Han an entire speech about bringing their boy home together; then sends Han... solo.
3."Desperate to find her brother" in the crawl, gasps when the map is complete near the end, sends everyone else to meet Luke.

Waiting for the posts saying she's too busy being a General.

She's too busy being a General.

:o

Judge-Dredd---I-knew-youd-say-that-136908671641.jpeg

It'll retroactively make more sense why Leia takes an immediate shine to Rey and vice-versa while seemingly ignoring Chewie, why Kylo Ren removed his helmet for her before having to do that action again with Han Solo, and why Han Solo gives her some strange looks and wanted her around on the Falcon in the future. I don't think it's just because she's the main character.

In that case, I hope there's a (good) reason Kylo had Rey 2 inches away from his face and didn't tell her who she was. Ditto Leia.

I like to see Leia's role as a General be fleshed out more in her position.

In response to the part where Leia and Rey hugged. I think the reason she went over to Rey was because she felt drawn to her and I believe it had to do with her force connection because she probably in a way sensed that the girl is force sensitive. And through that connection, it was no brainer to Leia who the girl was the moment she saw her standing all by her lonesome looking sad. Leia knew Han didn't make it and she wasn't expecting him to walk down the ramp behind Rey since she felt his death through the force. Leia already knew he wasn't coming back but when she saw Rey, she sensed a good deal of pain and loss inside of the scavenger. I really like the scene and it was very emotional...the two of them - one who was the love of Han's life and the other who saw him as a mentor/father figure she never had, hugging close...standing off to the side with no words to say but let those tears just take their toll.

I hope we see more scenes between Leia and Rey...maybe she'll fill in on what happened to Ben to Rey and...just maybe Rey's view of Kylo will change but at this point, she sees him as a monster for killing his own father.

Of course the Force is the explanation, I never said it's a plot hole. Emotionally, that hug wasn't warranted, to me. It was just one more stuff Rey got cos she's the new lead.

He also needs to be the captain of the Falcon.

Yes I too feel like Leia didn't even properly grieve for her husband Han considering that Han was killed by their own son Kylo Ren/Ben and then her losing her son to the dark side all those years ago and then losing her brother Luke too with his exile disappearing act you would think Leia would become more in tune with the Force in the sense of instead of her being a General that she would somehow become a Jedi

The Hollywood Reporter - Cannes: Carrie Fisher Says 'Star Wars' Succeeded Because It's "About Family"

“This movie’s about family, Star Wars is. That’s why it has the appeal,” Carrie Fisher said Saturday in explaining the success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, in which she reprises her role as Princess Leia, who’s been promoted to General Organa.

An inveterate wise-cracker, Fisher admitted she’s likened Comic-Con, the annual gathering of genre fans, to “lap-dancing for celebrities,” but in a more earnest vein she went on to say, “I go to Comic-Con because it’s an amazing thing to observe. The fans are incredible and they bring the entire family. It’s about family and that’s the most amazing thing.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/carrie-fisher-star-wars-succeeded-894050

Vulture - 15 DGAF Things Carrie Fisher Said at Cannes

On her reaction to seeing herself back as Princess Leia in Star Wars: The Force Awakens
"I wept!" she said, laying out the chronology from her point of view. "Here I go, Star Wars; Star Wars; big picture of me; very, very pretty; don’t know it; don’t know it; don’t do a lot of work after that, but still enough so that I’m not looking bad; not good, don’t like it, but still it’s not a lot; to this. Meryl Streep said to me, 'I’ve watched myself in film three times a year in different outfits. You’re gone from metal bikini to 58 years old.' So that was not easy."

On what she thought of Episode VII
"I thought J.J. did as good of a job as he could with the material he was given."

On Episode VIII and her rejected suggestions for Leia moments
"
I’m in it, that's all I can say. I’m not wearing the bikini. I thought there should be a scene of me wearing the earphones [Leia's signature hair buns] just walking by a window looking moody and reading Shakespeare’s sonnets."

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/16-dgaf-things-carrie-fisher-said-at-cannes.html?mid=twitter_vulture (May 15, 2016)

Showbiz411 - Carrie Fisher: “I wish there were some magical way to bring Han Solo back”

I had the pleasure of running into Carrie Fisher last night in Cannes, as she returned from the big party on Microsoft founder Paul Allen’s 414 foot yacht. She was with her French bulldog, Gary, who has been all over the Croisette this week helping Carrie promote her “Bright Stars” documentary for HBO.

[...]

Carrie is here before returning to London for a month or more of work on “Star Wars 8” directed by Rian Johnson. Mark Hamill is in the film, she told me, but Harrison Ford is not as Han Solo “died” in “The Force Awakens.”

“I wish there were some magical way to bring him back,” Carrie said. “Maybe they have some super secret plan that no one knows about!”

As for Gary joining Princess Leia in outer space, Carrie joked: “I asked, but they said he’s too famous!” Maybe they could dress him as a wookie? “No, he needs something special,” she added.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/05/1...-were-some-magical-way-to-bring-han-solo-back (May 17, 2016)

Andi's reaction to being surprised by Carrie on the livestream was great.

Celebration 2016 Carrie Fisher panel:

Warwick Davis: So, what did you know of the kind of the period between the end of Return of the Jedi and the beginning of The Force Awakens? Did they tell you any of that story so you were well informed?

Carrie Fisher: Han's funeral... No.

WD: We...

CF: Oh! Between the old one! Oh oh! Han and I have a very very volatile, you know, relationship. Obviously. Which leads to space divorce, as you know. No, I don't think that we are divorced. We're just estranged.

WD: Space estrangement.

CF: Yes, which is very rough. And we had a child who turned out to be Hitler. Naughty Hitler. Well, you'd feel bad if your son did all that, wouldn't you?

Q: Do you take a new lover in Episode VIII?

CF: God I hope so. If I do, I don't know it. The dress is awfully large. So you never know. It could be a new kind of special effect that they added in post. I hope.

Carrie Fisher: “I want to know [Rey’s origin story] too, but we have very little exposure to the script.” “We’re allowed to read it, and then mostly, it’s focused on your part, so you didn’t see it in a kind of overall context of it. So in that way, it’s very strange. But in terms of a connection [of Rey to Leia], in a lot of ways, we’re waiting as much as all of you are.” “We’re in the dark, only about part of things.” “But if we were in the light, I wouldn’t be able to tell you things and not get in a lot of trouble.” (July 26, 2016)

Carrie Fisher: “Tons of things are noticeable to me – no one listens to me! Yes, [hugging Rey before Chewie] was noticeable to me. <distracted by Gary Fisher> Yes, but [Rey] had a harder time than Chewie did I think. And [Leia] knew deep down, that she had. But you know also... <distracted by Gary Fisher>” (Wizard World Comic Con - August 21, 2016)

Carrie Fisher: “[My favorite Star Wars movie] to act in – Empire, although I really liked acting in the last one… <takes glasses off> <wink>” (Wizard World Comic Con - August 21, 2016)

Rey had a harder time than Chewie when it comes to Han Solo. Riiiiiiiiiight.

Maryann Brandon, The Force Awakens Editor: “I know… It’s a weird thing that [hug between Rey and Leia], isn’t it? It’s like sometimes you’re working on a movie and there’s this thing that’s really powerful and you can’t really explain it. Like the hug between them is really powerful and you’re like, ‘Well, I didn’t see that coming.’ The lack of Chewie at the end was a big discussion and I think you know we did the best we could because that’s what was shot and you’re absolutely 100% right like… your emotion is with Chewie because he’s like this great character who always saves the day. Ummm… <quiet> <laughs> You know it’s one of those… I mean we tried to cover it up. <laughs> But I guess the thing is what we tried to do is <gestures> have Chewie go with Finn to try and make sure Finn’s OK and Leia went for Rey. The whole idea there I think is that they have a special connection that they don’t even know about. There was an earlier idea at one point that Leia knows who [Rey] is. And we sort of took that out because it didn’t make any sense. Um… because we don’t know who she is! <laughter> So that’s what I’m talking about – you just kind of keep – things just evolve and you go, ‘that’s not a good idea, that is a good idea.’ ‘Keep that,’ or ‘Lose that’.” (May 15, 2016 - near end of video)

Rey had a harder time than Chewie when it comes to Han Solo. Riiiiiiiiiight.

Everyone involved in this production are prejudiced against Wookies. Now I know Carrie and JJ have had their problems in the past, but I never would have thought that they had this much bigotry hiding in their closets. For shame

Everyone involved in this production are prejudiced against Wookies. Now I know Carrie and JJ have had their problems in the past, but I never would have thought that they had this much bigotry hiding in their closets. For shame

This heinous prejudice goes a lot further back than TFA-- We all remember the infamous "All of you except the hairy manbeast gets a medal" incident on Yavin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"