The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

For me, one of my main complaints about Cavill aesthetically, was that he was still a bit too boyish-looking for Supes. So I really don't like the idea of going even MORE boyish-looking (and this applies to pretty much everyone suggested on this page). I want Supes to look like a MAN, not a grown-up person who can still play boys. And if they look extremely boyish now in their late-20's, they're not gonna suddenly get more manly in the next 5 years. Once you're near 30, you've kinda missed the window on that - pretty much doomed to a life of perpetual boy-face, like Leo DiCaprio. And yeah, we're looking ideally for someone late-20's-30-ish, but guys can still look manly at that age. It's not the Hollywood norm, but they exist!

Take, for example, the guy who played Donar the Great aka Thor on American Gods this season, Derek Theler.

tumblr_ppxtaaRyBk1ujxws2o2_540.gif

He's 32 now, and a bit too much of a dude-bro for Supes, but the point is, he looks like a grown damn man. And he did, even back in his 20's. Here's what he looked like a few years ago, back when he was around the same age as these recent suggestions like Jack Reynor and Austin Butler are now:

Y'all seeing the difference here? So if they could find someone more like him but with less of a Captain Awesome-vibe and can act, that would be swell.

Let me pull up my pants and mainsplain something. Lol

Seriously though. That’s a tall order cause for most guys in their twenties having a beard is what makes you look more “manly”. You tend to naturally look more boyish without it.

Add that Superman has a uniform looking hair that leans into looking younger.

Let me pull up my pants and mainsplain something. Lol

Seriously though. That’s a tall order cause for most guys in their twenties having a beard is what makes you look more “manly”. You tend to naturally look more boyish without it.

Add that Superman has a uniform looking hair that leans into looking younger.
Lol it ain’t the beard I’m talking about.

Yep. Especially compared to, say, Tyler Hoechlin as Supes, for example, who is younger but seems older.

:huh::huh:

Not... really... I can still tell Henry Cavilll is older.
When you say boyish I imagine Logan Lerman, Nicholas Hoult, Dylan O'Brien, Ansel Elgort, I don't quite picture this:
5b992cc8ec72d.jpeg

He's one of the manliest looking dudes I've seen.

So you mean a regular guy. A Midwestern farmboy looking dude at blends in? Yeah.
The thing is Superman is not just a regular guy. You need to get an actor that has versatile enough looks he can look aspirational at times (or in other words handsome as fork) and then like your average joe on others.

The thing is Superman is not just a regular guy. You need to get an actor that has versatile enough looks he can look aspirational at times (or in other words handsome as ****) and then like your average joe on others.

Well I don’t see it as aspirational/handsome so much as charm.

The whole “ flying is the safest way to travel” isn’t memorable cause he’s good looking. It’s a level of personality coming through.

Cavill is a handsome dude, but he lacked charm to me.

I don’t completely put it on Cavill. I think Superman as a character has become a walking plank of wood with his hands on his hips or arms crossed. The idea he would crack a joke in a serious fight is gone.

For me, one of my main complaints about Cavill aesthetically, was that he was still a bit too boyish-looking for Supes. So I really don't like the idea of going even MORE boyish-looking (and this applies to pretty much everyone suggested on this page). I want Supes to look like a MAN, not a grown-up person who can still play boys. And if they look extremely boyish now in their late-20's, they're not gonna suddenly get more manly in the next 5 years. Once you're near 30, you've kinda missed the window on that - pretty much doomed to a life of perpetual boy-face, like Leo DiCaprio. And yeah, we're looking ideally for someone late-20's-30-ish, but guys can still look manly at that age. It's not the Hollywood norm, but they exist!

Take, for example, the guy who played Donar the Great aka Thor on American Gods this season, Derek Theler.

tumblr_ppxtaaRyBk1ujxws2o2_540.gif

He's 32 now, and a bit too much of a dude-bro for Supes, but the point is, he looks like a grown damn man. And he did, even back in his 20's. Here's what he looked like a few years ago, back when he was around the same age as these recent suggestions like Jack Reynor and Austin Butler are now:

Y'all seeing the difference here? So if they could find someone more like him but with less of a Captain Awesome-vibe and can act, that would be swell.

They could go the route (once again) of having a young actor to play teenage Clark and an older (main) actor for Superman.

It is a tall order to ask for Superman, to find an actor to be all these things. There were complaints that Robert Pattinson is not "manly" enough for Batman as well. He can't be all things to everyone either, and can't please everyone.

I don't mind if Superman is "boyish", especially if Cavill is defined as "boyish-looking" . But I don't want him to fall into teen heart throb type of CW actor either. He can be a combination of youthful and mature etc. But they also could cast younger this time. Say, 24 or 25, and I wouldn't mind.

Not... really... I can still tell Henry Cavilll is older.
When you say boyish I imagine Logan Lerman, Nicholas Hoult, Dylan O'Brien, Ansel Elgort, I don't quite picture this:
5b992cc8ec72d.jpeg

He's one of the manliest looking dudes I've seen.
Dunno what to tell ya. Not to me. He’s got a distinct “British boys school” look to me. Soft. The mustache and stubble in MI6 hid it nicely, though. As ComicBookKid mentioned, facial hair can do that.

So you mean a regular guy. A Midwestern farmboy looking dude at blends in? Yeah.

Is that how you would describe Jimmy Olsen??

On a more serious note, how can anyone look at this actor and say he does not look the perfect superman?

superman.jpg
Give him a shave and lay off the heavy foundation that will give his face natural texture and definition.. also, the key with the hair is short back and sides.

Then, have this guy hunched over his desk quietly working away, nervously walking in to meetings.. not so much shy and awkward, but just unassuming - sometimes coming off as confusingly rude... is he rude or just socially unaware, akward... that only his true friends (jimmy, lois, perry) see the real side! sure, he's good looking, but he is hardly around and married to his job.clark.jpg

It could be nice to see a younger actor cast and growing more and more into the role of Superman over the years. (Early to mid 20s.)

Is that how you would describe Jimmy Olsen??

On a more serious note, how can anyone look at this actor and say he does not look the perfect superman?

View attachment 27165
Give him a shave and lay off the heavy foundation that will give his face natural texture and definition.. also, the key with the hair is short back and sides.

Then, have this guy hunched over his desk quietly working away, nervously walking in to meetings.. not so much shy and awkward, but just unassuming - sometimes coming off as confusingly rude... is he rude or just socially unaware, akward... that only his true friends (jimmy, lois, perry) see the real side! sure, he's good looking, but he is hardly around and married to his job.View attachment 27166

The regular guy part was about Jimmy.

He looks like a superhero for sure.

He looks like a version of Superman but his acting isn’t Clark Kent or Superman.

The Supergirl version is about as close to a modern interpretation as we’ve gotten. Smallville (the earlier seasons) had the strongest modern story interpretation.

The regular guy part was about Jimmy.

He looks like a superhero for sure.

He looks like a version of Superman but his acting isn’t Clark Kent or Superman.

The Supergirl version is about as close to a modern interpretation as we’ve gotten. Smallville (the earlier seasons) had the strongest modern story interpretation.
You will need to do a lot more to convince me that actor can play the man of steel.. but, it's all about opinions right?

I don't mind if Superman is "boyish", especially if Cavill is defined as "boyish-looking" . But I don't want him to fall into teen heart throb type of CW actor either. He can be a combination of youthful and mature etc. But they also could cast younger this time. Say, 24 or 25, and I wouldn't mind.
The irony of course being that one of my two examples I presented of a less boyish-looking Supes actually WAS the CW version.

Don't get me wrong, Cavill looked good for the role, as has everyone who played him, but he still wasn't ideal to me, because of the inherent boyish/delicate features. Sorry guys, I can't help but see what I see, and what I see is,

Man:

supergirl-superman-returns.jpg

Boy:

1429931714-man-of-steel-superman.jpg

I'd prefer someone cut from the same cloth as the former for the next go-round. Just with the budget and workout routine more like the latter. ;)

I was against it at the time, but Joe Manganiello probably was the best choice for Snyder’s Superman. Joey M has that ruggedness, while Cavill, like flickchick said, can never really break out of his upper crust Britishness. Cavill is much better doing light and charming (Man from Uncle, Justice League) than dark and brooding (BvS, Mission Impossible).

Yeah I'm legitimately confused by the claims Henry Cavill is boyish. Also. Superman is supposed to be a boyscout... him looking ao rough isn't ideal

Let's just say WB continues to place Superman in the shelf. Would you guys accept if other directors from other films cast him in theirs?

Yeah I'm legitimately confused by the claims Henry Cavill is boyish. Also. Superman is supposed to be a boyscout... him looking ao rough isn't ideal
Yeah...I don't know how else to explain it to you, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. "Boyscout" is because of morals, not because he looks like he should still be in the boyscouts. :oldrazz:

But hell, when my aunt first saw Henry as Supes, she said "he looks kind of...gay," whatever "looking gay" to her means, so I guess we all see what we're gonna see, lol.

It's not exactly boyishness for me, it's more that there's something blue blooded about him. He should be playing the rich jock from the camp across the lake, while Superman should be at Camp Firewood. Armie Hammer has the same vibe.

Eh, when the time comes it won't be hard. The bald world ain't running out of tall dark and handsome. I was in the camp of keeping Cavill, but by the time anything gets rolling he'd be almost 40.

I know it ain't our money, but I can understand why not investing another 200million on a Superman flick with him as lead.

Also, can one here truly run down them numbers as to why it is so expensive to make a Supes film? Wan created an entire waterworld for less than that, and we out here seeing that kind of money for a flying bald man and wheat fields.

:o

It should definitely not be so expensive. A $170-185mil budget should be plenty for a good Supes film.

I want the next Superman to be more Henry Fonda and less Rock Hudson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"