The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

I don't want to get into the correct usage of racial slurs, but that particular one does not refer to black people and makes me think your take is a bit disingenuous.

Well, for now ( unless WB changes their minds, which they've been known to do), it's going to be a Black man .

So in terms of casting, it's going up to the Producer's and director to chose who they feel is the best Black actor for the part as written in the script.

It's still pretty much up in the air as to whether its Kal El, Val Zod, Calvin, or a new character entirely who's maybe a fusion of all of them.

I have experienced 'reverse' racism, where black friends have been called coconut from their own 'community' - meaning black on the outside, white on the inside... if they act a certain way...

I would hate for a race swapped Clark Kent to be subjected to that kind of abuse.

I'm Black, and I'm sorry they've experienced that .Unfortunately, that type of language isn't uncommon in the Black community, and has to do with alot of deep seeded issues that and beyond the scope of this forum and it would take me a long time to explain to you .

That said, I highly doubt a race swapped Clark will face that.

A race swapped Clark will face good ole fashion racism, bigotry, and ignorance, and that won't be from the Black community.

Well, for now ( unless WB changes their minds, which they've been known to do), it's going to be a Black man .

So in terms of casting, it's going up to the Producer's and director to chose who they feel is the best Black actor for the part as written in the script.

It's still pretty much up in the air as to whether its Kal El, Val Zod, Calvin, or a new character entirely who's maybe a fusion of all of them.

I hope to god they nail it... I want the S seen again in a positive light. I want my kids being inspired like I was with Reeve, I also want young kids of colour to be inspired too... I work in a school and god knows I saw the effect Black Panther had, was amazing.

I'm Black, and I'm sorry they've experienced that .Unfortunately, that type of language isn't uncommon in the Black community, and has to do with alot of deep seeded issues that and beyond the scope of this forum and it would take me a long time to explain to you .

That said, I highly doubt a race swapped Clark will face that.

A race swapped Clark will face good ole fashion racism, bigotry, and ignorance, and that won't be from the Black community.

No need to explain to me brother, all good.

I still say they need to do a STEEL movie, shine a light on John Henry (I believe Dwayne Johnson is doing something with him too... JH, not STEEL) and he can totally take Iron Man's place (and now it seems, Cyborg's)

I hope to god they nail it... I want the S seen again in a positive light. I want my kids being inspired like I was with Reeve, I also want young kids of colour to be inspired too... I work in a school and god knows I saw the effect Black Panther had, was amazing.

If they do nail it, I'm sure it will inspire children of color and it will inspire young white children who will just see the new Superman as Superman, in the same way White Children around American saw Barrack Obama as The President without any qualifiers and without any hatred or resentment.

As a Black child I was inspired by a White Superman in Chris Reeves, and as a 40 something year old man, he still inspires me and will always have a special place in my heart. I have no doubt the same will happen with Black, White, Asian, and Latino children towards a Black Superman .

Children are much more open and accepting in alot of ways. It's when they become adults their views harder more and they're less able to open their minds or their hearts.

Question for you all; I remember when JJ was casting Finn in Star Wars, he supposedly did it “colorblind” meaning that Finn could have been any race. He ultimately settled on a Black actor for Finn.

I’m wondering if the trades are just jumping to conclusions here because of Coates’ previous work and the MBJ rumors. Do you think that JJ is using colorblind casting here and they could also considering Latinx, Asian, Native American, etc. actors for the role? I guess I’m just spitballing since they recently cast a Latina woman as Supergirl. That may mean nothing, especially if this Superman is in a different universe. Additionally, as a cousin, Superman doesn’t necessarily need to be the same ethnicity as Supergirl. But I’m just wondering what people think here.

Question for you all; I remember when JJ was casting Finn in Star Wars, he supposedly did it “colorblind” meaning that Finn could have been any race. He ultimately settled on a Black actor for Finn.

I’m wondering if the trades are just jumping to conclusions here because of Coates’ previous work and the MBJ rumors. Do you think that JJ is using colorblind casting here and they could also considering Latinx, Asian, Native American, etc. actors for the role? I guess I’m just spitballing since they recently cast a Latina woman as Supergirl. That may mean nothing, especially if this Superman is in a different universe. Additionally, as a cousin, Superman doesn’t necessarily need to be the same ethnicity as Supergirl. But I’m just wondering what people think here.
I know I'm expecting it. If you're going to reskin Superman, why stop there? Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lex, Lana, Cat. Cover the whole racial spectrum.

I know I'm expecting it. If you're going to reskin Superman, why stop there? Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lex, Lana, Cat. Cover the whole racial spectrum.

Totally, I think any of the characters are fair game. But I was just referring to Superman specifically; I wonder if they are also considering actors of other ethnicities.

Agreed. I mean they already did it with Perry but not to make some statement. He was still Perry...who just happened to be black.

I thought the trades were pretty clear, or at least there was a follow up article that stated Superman will indeed be Black and it will be a "Black Superman Story".

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a race swapped version of Kent, Val Zod, or Calvin Ellis. It could be a brand new character who Coates has created ,with an entirely different origin, supporting cast etc unconnected to the normal Superman myths. That could also be what Coates pitched and WB liked.

I think WB would have cleared it up if they weren't going for a Black Superman in the next film. So, I don't think there's any jumping to conclusions in terms of this Superman's race.

Who this Superman is? Where this Superman falls in the multiverse? and whether or not this is intended for Theaterical or HBOMax ? is still unknown to us , and it could be the answer to all those questions will surprise us.

Last edited:

I don't see why not either. We have a Black Lex on Superman and Lois which fandom have been eating up. We have a Black Jimmy on Supergirl and a Black Perry in MOS and BvS. In addition to several race bent characters throughout The Arrowverse and The MCU.

I thought the trades were pretty clear, or at least there was a follow up article that stated Superman will indeed be Black and it will be a "Black Superman Story".

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a race swapped version of Kent, Val Zod, or Calvin Ellis. It could be a brand new character who Coates has created ,with an entirely different origin, supporting cast etc unconnected to the normal Superman myths. That could also be what Coates pitched and WB liked.

I think WB would have clearly it up if they weren't going for a Black Superman in the next film. So, I don't think there's any jumping to conclusions in terms of this Superman's race.

Who this Superman is? Where this Superman falls in the multiverse? and whether or not this is intended for Theaterical or HBOMax ? is still unknown to us , and it could be the answer to all those questions will surprise us.

True, if there was some confusion then WB probably would have cleared it up.

As for which Superman this could be... How well-known/popular is the Calvin Ellis version? The reason I ask is, if they use that version instead of Clark Kent, I worry that some more casual fans might get upset that WB isn’t using the “real” version of Superman out of fear of upsetting the “Superman is white!” crowd. I would liken it to Marvel’s bizarre choice to make Zendaya’s character “MJ” but not “Mary Jane” in the Spider-Man movies, which I took as them being afraid of some of the racist backlash they received over it. That was stupid, IMO; they should have just called her Mary Jane.

But Calvin Ellis is a different thing; he’s an established character. But he’s obviously not as well-known as Clark so I could see WB being accused of doing the same sort of thing if they don’t use Clark Kent. On the other other hand though, I haven’t read comics in a long time so maybe Calvin is incredibly popular, particularly in the Black community? I’m not sure. But if he is, then using the character could possibly be hailed the same way Black Panther’s debut was.

0w47e9zzu2x51.jpg

I can see this as a possibility.

This is a really slick costume. Whoever they go with, and whichever Superman they choose (if it’s Calvin or Val) I hope they use that suit and not the yellow S one.

However, if they go with Clark then I hope they stick with the traditional, Big Red S.

Even with Clark, I’d prefer a Val-Zod inspired look.

The S is the symbol; I still think he’ll be recognizable to general audiences as Clark Kent Superman, even if the cape is white instead of red.

The traditional Superman colors (blue body suit, red \s/ and cape) are too iconic and important to me not to use if it's Clark Kent (not to mention looking the best). If it's Calvin or Val then I don't care what they do as I'd have no real interest in the project.

Please do! So many great non-white actors who don’t generally get the opportunity to headline big franchises. The performers who should have far, far bigger careers than they do but are undercut by biases toward casting white leads are innumerable.

If they do nail it, I'm sure it will inspire children of color and it will inspire young white children who will just see the new Superman as Superman, in the same way White Children around American saw Barrack Obama as The President without any qualifiers and without any hatred or resentment.

As a Black child I was inspired by a White Superman in Chris Reeves, and as a 40 something year old man, he still inspires me and will always have a special place in my heart. I have no doubt the same will happen with Black, White, Asian, and Latino children towards a Black Superman .

Children are much more open and accepting in alot of ways. It's when they become adults their views harder more and they're less able to open their minds or their hearts.
I don't doubt that at all, I just doubt they can capture lightning in a bottle... they seem to be misfiring....

"give the rights back to marvel"

have a nice day

I don't doubt that at all, I just doubt they can capture lightning in a bottle... they seem to be misfiring....

"

Only time will tell.

I'm gonna give them a chance .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"