The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

For me, and WB Discovery and the Superman brand, yeah. :cwink:

My concern is that if they do a MOS 2 in a couple of years, that we'll all be back here afterwards, with WB freaking out over it not performing to critical and box office expectations, and fandom, once again, divided, and worried about the future.

That's my concern at least.
If I'm proven wrong, fair enough.

My concern is that if they do a MOS 2 in a couple of years, that we'll all be back here afterwards, with WB freaking out over it not performing to critical and box office expectations, and fandom, once again, divided, and worried about the future.

That's my concern at least.
If I'm proven wrong, fair enough.

I'm really hoping it's a completely different Superman this time, with a different suit, etc, but with Cavill still playing Superman.

I'd hire Brad Bird or Ron Howard.
get either Keanu Reeves or Christoph waltz as Brainiac.
And I'd throw the kitchen sink at Tom Hiddleston to get him to play Lex.

Make it a mix of birthright and Superman for all seasons.
But I swear now, If they hire snyder again, I will have little to no interest in it. He needs to stay far away.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping it's a completely different Superman this time, with a different suit, etc, but with Cavill still playing Superman.

I'd hire Brad Bird or Ron Howard.
get either Keanu Reeves or Christoph waltz as Brainiac.
And I'd throw the kitchen sink at Tom Hiddleston to get him to play Lex.

Make it a mix of birthright and Superman for all seasons.
But I swear now, If they hire snyder again, I will have little to no interest in it. He needs to stay far away.

Cavill is sort of tainted due to the mixed work of the DCEU but I’d be happy with him in the role again. Not sure how you change up Superman’s story without Flashpoint though…As for Synder he’s a wonderful Visual director but do his movies miss heart?

Cavill’s not a good actor, and his portrayal of the character is associated with some of the worst Superman and DC adaptations put to screen.

Start fresh.

Cavill is a decent actor in my opinion but the DCEU movies are very divisive. Man of Steel was excellent in many ways but I feel a fresh start might be the only way to clear the slate.

I like Cavill , and he seems like a cool guy .

That said, if he hasn't connected with the GA as Superman in the decade he's had the role, I just don't see how that somehow is going to change.

Chris Reeve had a couple of stinker Superman films in the mid and late 80s, but trust me, the guy was beloved as Superman by the GA, regardless of those films.

If Cavill had that type of following, or even the following that Pratt as Starlord has, I could understand WB saying " we can still move forward with him".

But he doesn't as far as the GA is concerned.
At the end of the day, it's gonna be the GA, and not the people in Hall H, or fandom, which is gonna make or break another Superman film.

So, I just don't know how you go to a public ,yet again. which has been indifferent ,to not liking that version of Superman ,and say " Aren't you excited for Cavill's return?! This time we're gonna do it right!".

And again, I'm talking about the GA, not people in our sphere .

I think Cavill has a pretty big following as Superman and more now due to MI and The Witcher.
He has the acting chops. There are great poignant and touching scenes in the Snyder films. If he's written as brooding and stoic that's how it will be acted.

I think it comes down to the basics... writing and directing. If there is great writing it will work. I like Snyder's "depth" and use of metaphor... here he's on another level... MetaFive! And his art direction choices and production design are great IMO. But I also think he misses some opportunities and moments and could use better editing. But again,,, story! It's got to be written well, with a focus on SUPERMAN... now that he is established AS SUPERMAN I think that is possible. For me, the weak parts of Snyder's DC films are the connective tissue. The hype over the announcements and trailers have always been stellar and then some are disappointed with the final.

I don't mind someone else taking a crack at it but they should follow the art direction with new tone and attitude...

but-thats-just-my-opinion-just-what-i-think.gif

It's yet to be seen if the following from the Witcher extends beyond fandom and to the GA and to big box office.
MI is Tom Cruise's show, so that's not the best indicator of a following among the GA.

Ultimately, the GA are going to be the ones who decide whether they can get past the baggage this Superman carries, and make no mistake , going into it , this version carries baggage, fair or not .

At the same time, we don't know what WB has in mind for another Cavill led Superman film, or even if they have a specific idea in mind, or if they're flying by the seat of their pants as they did with the BvS announcement in 2013. In others, no real plan or story, just that they're doing another film.

Strange, there are no rumors of Director, Writers, Producer, etc. Take three failed projects, failed actor in those projects, and roll the dice again.

Wonder if this is just the Cavill team blowing smoke, hoping for a fire. Or just the total chaos of WB and Superman and how not to make a franchise.

On another note, I believe I once supported Regé-Jean Page when he was suggested for Supes here. I would like to strike that from the record, pls! Dude is godawful in The Gray Man.

I don't really mind of its not cavill as long as snyder is no where near it.
Alex Roe would be my pick.
32, about 6'1.

633574_v9_ba-7.jpg

Strange, there are no rumors of Director, Writers, Producer, etc. Take three failed projects, failed actor in those projects, and roll the dice again.

Wonder if this is just the Cavill team blowing smoke, hoping for a fire. Or just the total chaos of WB and Superman and how not to make a franchise.

Hardly "failed" . These films made a lot of money. Maybe they did not live up to studio and some fan "expectations" but hardly failed. Not billions. But those same directors and producers spawned WW and AM which both were big hits. Without Snyder and co. maybe WW and AM are not made with Gadot and Momoa...? They don't continue the set up Snyder gave them . The vision. The character. Maybe they fail.?

End of the day. Even if some films in a franchise are less than stellar, IF you then have a great story and production it can restore the faith. Not all original Star Wars films are regarded equally. There is a "best" in everyone's mind.

They need a great story. Great writing. Not hokey or silly. They need a snappy, punchy pro style...
Screenshot-2021-03-04-at-6.30.38-PM.png

It's yet to be seen if the following from the Witcher extends beyond fandom and to the GA and to big box office.
MI is Tom Cruise's show, so that's not the best indicator of a following among the GA.

Ultimately, the GA are going to be the ones who decide whether they can get past the baggage this Superman carries, and make no mistake , going into it , this version carries baggage, fair or not .

At the same time, we don't know what WB has in mind for another Cavill led Superman film, or even if they have a specific idea in mind, or if they're flying by the seat of their pants as they did with the BvS announcement in 2013. In others, no real plan or story, just that they're doing another film.

Cavill is popular. He is a pretty big star at this point.
IF the film was terrific, any past baggage is forgotten.

They have had a lot of time and people "thinking" about how to move forward. They need inspiration.

Cavill is popular. He is a pretty big star at this point.
IF the film was terrific, any past baggage is forgotten.

They have had a lot of time and people "thinking" about how to move forward. They need inspiration.

He's certainly popular with a certain group of people , mostly in our sphere, but I've yet to see evidence that popularity extends to the filmgoing audience .

He's got a following, which no one would debate, but it'd be hard to argue the guy is so popular, that audience will go to the theaters in droves just to see him.

Fair or not, that's gonna factor into whether or not people will see the film, because as we've seen with SR, MOS, BvS, JL, the film just having an actor playing Superman in it, isn't enough.

I do agree though, if the film is terrific and if it connects with the GA, past baggage can be put aside.

Even that presumes WB has the talent, and that ,that talent knows the direction to take the character in way which will please the majority of the audience.

The film must connect with the GA, even if the film is considered so-so by the critics.

He's certainly popular with a certain group of people , mostly in our sphere, but I've yet to see evidence that popularity extends to the filmgoing audience .

He's got a following, which no one would debate, but it'd be hard to argue the guy is so popular, that audience will go to the theaters in droves just to see him.

Fair or not, that's gonna factor into whether or not people will see the film, because as we've seen with SR, MOS, BvS, JL, the film just having an actor playing Superman in it, isn't enough.

I do agree though, if the film is terrific and if it connects with the GA, past baggage can be put aside.

Even that presumes WB has the talent, and that ,that talent knows the direction to take the character in way which will please the majority of the audience.

The film must connect with the GA, even if the film is considered so-so by the critics.

"...Even that presumes WB has the talent, and that ,that talent knows the direction to take the character in way which will please the majority of the audience."

99921650-3763-4541-bed4-d8de2205c1a3_text.gif

If this is true, I really should not be surprised, since Warner's hasn't know what to do with Superman since Superman 2

Routh was decent in a movie that was never sure what it was, while Cavill and his movies were abject failures, both critically and financially.

Cavill has zero charm on screen, either at the movies or on tv. The guy seems decent but as an actor, he is close to Welling in suckitude.

Rumors are he wants and 8 figure salary, which is laughable ,and control of the movie, the script and the process. Three failed projects, and he is asking for control. Either this is a joke, or Warners and Discovery are out of their minds, lost or desperate .

Cavill is not A list, B- list at best. His track record is shoddy, his performances, dull, insipid, uninspiring and boring.

Well, we go ahead, and two years from now we are back where we are today, without a good idea where to go from here. There is a list of young, talented and interesting young actors who could fill the role, with charm, interest, and talent, yet we get Cavill.

Cavill, sadly, may be the Superman curse.

Do we cast young and start early into the world of Superman and let the actor age into the role?

or

Do we cast mature and start mid career and smash out as many movies as quickly as possible?

Or

Another option I haven't considered

Before we find out if there’s any truth to the rumors, I’d say I would be up for a Cavill return that scraps literally everything else about his prior movies. New supporting cast, new continuity, basically a reboot but with a familiar lead.

That probably wouldn’t be the way they’d go, but it’s what I’d want in a Cavill return. Otherwise, just rip everything Snyder-related out, root and stem.

Before we find out if there’s any truth to the rumors, I’d say I would be up for a Cavill return that scraps literally everything else about his prior movies. New supporting cast, new continuity, basically a reboot but with a familiar lead.

That probably wouldn’t be the way they’d go, but it’s what I’d want in a Cavill return. Otherwise, just rip everything Snyder-related out, root and stem.

Pretty much what I want too. Shouldn't be too long before we may have an actual answer. Really hope DC brings the hype to SDCC... they need something to get most fans excited for the future, since it's a bit bleak.

I'm highly skeptical of Cavill returning for a solo film. I think the best-case scenario for him is possible appearances in future Black Adam or Shazam films while WB reboots the solo film series.

I just feel that if they were to do that, there is really no point in bringing Cavill back. If everything else is completely new and starting from scratch, might as well use a different actor. I don't see how bringing Cavill back at this point would benefit WB in the long run.

The best way forward for the future of the character and the franchise is a complete reboot. It tells the audience you're getting something new, frees you of the past and allows you to move ahead in any direction.

The next film needs to be more commercially appealing. If it is artsy and angst-ridden then they'll run into the same problems all over again and wouldn't have moved forward even with a new lead actor.

I mean I guess it depends what they're going to do with the reboot. You could still reboot Superman without getting a young guy. Have it set where he is already an established Superman. I'm tired of origin tales. Superman 78, Smallville, Man of Steel, and heck, even Superman & Lois did it wonderfully. I'm okay with jumping in to Superman knowing who he is and what he stands for. I'd definitely be okay with Cavill playing that, just have him be optimistic and more traditional Superman. The world needs that bright light that Superman can be now more than ever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"