Justice League Casting Non-whites in Justice League

Here is an interesting article about how Warner has an advantage in the potential diversity of their universe.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...e-league-film-can-top-the-avengers-diversity/

I don't get his argument. Marvel has already introduced Nick Fury and War Machine. Falcon is on the way. Stan Lee confirmed a Black Panther movie is also slated. Black Widow has appeared in 2 movies. Scarlet Witch and Gamora (who is played by an afro-latina) are showing up int he next 2 years. Marvel doesnt have a problem with diversity. The most meaningful minority character in DC movies over the past decade has been Lucius Fox.

Here is an interesting article about how Warner has an advantage in the potential diversity of their universe.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...e-league-film-can-top-the-avengers-diversity/

T"Challa;26289069 said:
I don't get his argument. Marvel has already introduced Nick Fury and War Machine. Falcon is on the way. Stan Lee confirmed a Black Panther movie is also slated. Black Widow has appeared in 2 movies. Scarlet Witch and Gamora (who is played by an afro-latina) are showing up int he next 2 years. Marvel doesnt have a problem with diversity. The most meaningful minority character in DC movies over the past decade has been Lucius Fox.

That article is great, and it's spot on. He's talking about how DC has a diverse line-up as part of their core-brand. Marvel just does not aside from Black Panther. I've been clamoring for Marvel to plan for solo War Machine movies for awhile now, or at least have him help out the team in the Avengers movies. There is no reason for him not to be involved if not just swooping in during the fighting scenes to help out Tony.

And the differentiating thing is not that there are diverse characters, but that they are a part of the core-brand of DC/Marvel. Black Panther is part of Marvel's core identity. John Stewart (since the JL cartoon) has become part of the core identity of DC, Wonder Woman is part of the core identity of DC obviously. These are characters people gravitate towards and love. No one likes Cyborg, he's a peripheral character that struggles in popularity, same thing with Falcon.

DC is built around WW, she's not just a core character, but a foundation character alongside Supes and Bats. You don't have a DCCU without WW. Secondly, Bruce Timm, Dwayne McDuffie, and Andrea Romano did WB and us fans a huge service by using John Stewart as the main GL in the animated series. An entire generation of kids (now adults like me) recognize him as the Green Lantern, Hal means little to us. I've heard the criticisms of Stewart before that's he's boring but he was one of my favorite characters on the show, especially his relationships with Shaeyra/Hawkgirl. I always felt like there was too-little of Stewart, not too much.

So what the guy said in the article I completely understand, appreciate, and even agree with somewhat. I've been very hesitant about WB rushing into a JL movie quickly and without a buildup. But he's right about there being significantly less risk if they introduce WW in a Justice League movie first instead of giving her a solo movie initially. It would allow people to see her in action and then get excited to see her on her own adventures.

I'm not saying I'm convinced they should go the JL movie route first, but I'm saying it's a legitimate argument in favor of doing so. AMC Movie Talk's John Campea made an almost identical argument on the show a few weeks ago as well. He said a solo WW project should happen after JL movie.

Likewise, I think giving any GL their own origin story movie is a mistake. I think you introduce John Stewart in a JL movie, or you have a GL Corps franchise with the five human GLs (movie one should just be Hal and John though) alongside the Justice League franchise.

Also theoretically WB could have WW+ GL John Stewart + Martian Manhunter (played by a black actor) + Cyborg by the sequel to Justice League. Talk about diversity.

And to circle back to the original point, I think WW and John Stewart will/should be key component of WBs strategy to differentiate themselves from Marvel. Marvel will beat them to the punch with Scarlett Witch and Falcon; but again, these are peripheral characters that will end up like Black Widow and Hawkeye. DC has the opportunity for WW and John Stewart to be key players in their universe; key players that also happen to be two of the most powerful league members (on the core team GLs power is only bested by Superman afterall).

Last edited:
I've actually been watching the Justice League series from the beginning recently. I grew up watching it as well, and didn't know any other GL at the time except John Stewart. He was GL to me. The way they portray Stewart in JL is great and I'd love to see this (which I think most would agree is the definitive version of John Stewart) in a live action JL film. I just saw the poll for who people would want to see as GL in the Justice League film; John Stewart had about 60% of the votes.

Oh, and I'd love to see Idris Elba as Stewart. :woot:

That said I'm still a big Hal fan and will be happy to see either of them in a JL film.

I could actually live with that Hawkwoman you have there.

OR they could do what the cartoon did and tie the Hawks to ancient Egypt and cast Egyptian actors for the roles. I would rather not see the characters in the first JL, but if it happened I think that would be cool.

Don't see the Rock as Captain Marvel really. He's got the build but not the personality. Remember, he still acts like a kid when he's in Shazam mode (or is that only in the cartoons?)

There's also Ryan Choi as Atom.
The Rock can play Black Adam the anti Shazam now that would be awesome,and Hawkgirl should be in JL movie so it will be an even 8.

Race swapping comes into play when you look at the team member. Yeah DC has plenty of minority characters but they aren't on the roster.So they gotta alter who is. I think Flash could be ethnic. Him being white isn't that important to the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"