Casting Thread for WATCHMEN (Suggestions and Announcements!!!)

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Threshold, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Threshold Simply Amazing

Wouldn't Alan Alda be great as Nite-Owl I?

2. snazzy J Registered

I'm not so sure about that one. He's great and all, but he doesn't really look like the kinda' guy that used to be a big, strong masked avenger like Nite Owl. I was thinking more along the lines of a Paul Newman type for him.

3. Threshold Simply Amazing

Just thinking out loud. Maybe he'd be better as Moloch.

4. snazzy J Registered

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=2654

Joan Allen Up for Watchmen?
    Source: IGN Filmforce
    February 28, 2005

IGN Filmforce has learned that Joan Allen may be part of Paul Greengrass' Watchmen cast. Allen previously teamed-up with the director for hit sequel "The Bourne Supremacy":

We heard a rumor that Oscar-nominated actress Joan Allen - who appeared in The Bourne Supremacy as shady government operative Pamela Landy - might portray Sally Jupiter (a.k.a. The Silk Spectre I) in Watchmen.

For those unfamiliar with the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons comic book, Sally Juspeczyk (she later changed her surname to Jupiter) was the mother of Laurie Jupiter. Both women fought crime under the guise of The Silk Spectre. Sally's relationship with the slain Comedian (Edward Blake) is a key subplot in both the comic and the screenplay adaptation by David Hayter.

Read more about the possible casting at the link above. Thanks to 'Stax' for the heads up.

On the IGN website, it says that they just heard some rumors about her and that her people wouldn't comment on it. Doesn't sound too conclusive.

5. snazzy J Registered

I don't know about this Joan Allen business. She's a good actress, but I'd say she's about 20 years too young for Silk Spectre 1.

[​IMG]

6. Threshold Simply Amazing

Yeah, at 48 years old she seems a bit too young for the role. I think someone like Blythe Danner should have that role. I kinda want them to cast the bigger roles first though.

7. Philly Phanboy LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

Joan Allen?!? What are they thinking? Silk Spectre 1 is probably one of the easier characters to cast. She must be an older actress that is voluptuous and a bit of a showboat plus she should have red hair. Looking at those criteria here's my choice:

[​IMG]

But you probably know Cassandra Peterson dressed up like this:

[​IMG]

Yup, good ol' Elvira herself. Her looks and personality are a great match for this role.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005308/

8. Threshold Simply Amazing

Still a little young for the role. She needs to be at least sixty.

9. Philly Phanboy LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

10. Philly Phanboy LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

CP's not that far from the right age. Can you think of anybody that would have as much fun with the role? Keep in mind that with the tone of the movie, Spectre's mom should be kept mostly lighthearted
    until she tells who the father is.

11. harley Registered

nah!
    I'm truely sorry, I'm out of my shoes this evening.I wanted to post that in the" a ame for wonderwoman" or something....
    I'm tired seeing same threads with different namespopping all the time.
    Sorry again.

12. somnambulating Registered

I'm not satisfied with Joan Allen. I can only be so optimistic. Guys, I think it's time we take matters into our own hands, this is a call to arms...

they messed-up From Hell, they messed-up LXG, they messed-up Constantine, and you can bet the Watchowski's are making sure V for Vendetta doesn't break the trend.

BUT IT'S NOT ENTIRELY TOO LATE FOR THE WATCHMEN!

all this film has at the moment is a director, possibly an actress, and a teaser site. the fans still have the chance to drive the point home, alright. some are probably reading this and thinking how trite it is to be this idealistic but i'm beyond the point of caring, there has not been one exceptional film derived from the work of this truly exceptional writer.

so what is there to do about it?

watchmen needs a fan site, much like this one NOW! not three months before the film launches (and there will be plenty then, after the fact) when there's no longer anything that can be done. I don't have the means or no how but I know one of you does. I don't know what else I can say but if you want me begging on my knees, I'll do it (hey, it got Brando the Godfather, right?).

Sin City lucked-out in having Miller as part of the process but the film world has been rather unkind in adapting Moore's works and I hope we can have some small influence in assuring that this won't happen again. I'm not the man for the job, computer-illiterate you see, but I bet one of you is...

13. Threshold Simply Amazing

I do a Watchmen movie fansite if I hadn't spent the last of my money on F411 and the Watchmen TPB.

14. reflect4ever Mutant God

Why is it most of the people on this thread believe that a cast of 60-somethings should be cast for most if not all the roles in a Watchmen movie and that the movie will succeed? Not attacking anyone, just injecting conversation.

15. SpiderHam Registered

Because the characters in question were active costumed heroes in the 40s, making them 60 at the time the story takes place.

16. Philly Phanboy LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

A 48 year old Joan Allen being the mother of a 35 year old character won't seem right either. Greengrass being loyal to a great actress is one thing, but she just doesn't fit this role.

Joan Allen as the character "Janey", maybe if they can make her look really young
    when she first dated Dr. Manhattan

17. Threshold Simply Amazing

Maybe Greengrass can work some magic with some makeup and prosthetics and it could work. Allen would be a good choice for the part, she's got the chops.

18. Philly Phanboy LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

Joan Allen as "Sally" or as "Janey"? The Sally character should have the look of a former pin-up model, which Joan obviously doesn't.

19. Threshold Simply Amazing

She was pretty hot in the late Arthur Miller's "All My Sons".

20. somnambulating Registered

c'mon guys, let's not give up on this project. look, I think if people didn't just right off Constantine as a fluke right from the get go and the studio felt sense of fnas wishes, many things would've hinged on that. I know this all seems so far ftched, but I'm in moviemaking myself, alright, as a part-time profession and I know that the slightest of suggestions here and there that a creator may stumble uponcould really get the creative juices flowing. just don't give up on the project or it'll be doomed for sure, mark my words.

look, i've heard all of one review of David Hayter's script and it has been exclusively glowing. it was being called oscar-bait material and a whole bunch of other lovely nonsense and Paul Greengrass is not a terrible director it's just that neither is the genius of Moore and Gibbons. Neither are the fans, true, but there are many of us who've grown up with this material, who've been reading it for decades now and some of us have an inkling of how this ought to be done. regardless of whether you think fan presence will have any effect, a work like Watchmen really deserves it's own spot on the web regardless, right?

21. Threshold Simply Amazing

Who's giving up on Watchmen? Who in their right mind would ever do that? Hayter is a gigantic fan of Watchmen, this has been a dream project of his for a while. I don't know about Greengrass, but I'd be willing to bet that if he wasn't a fan before, he is now. Don't forget that Singer wasn't an X-Fan until he made X-Men and he made a great first movie and an even better sequel.

22. somnambulating Registered

sorry, that was sort of a drunken ramble, haha.

alright, let's be constructive here. If obtaining websapace is a problem, I've got that covered, free of charge. I just can't design the thing. Folks, we need a forum to discuss this flick and comic and SHH (as exemplified in the past) won't provide this for us until it has already picked up steam... steam we're trying to influence before it's made it's way to the engine.

23. parkerpete Registered

Joan Allen is a fine choice for Sally Jupiter. She's not the first actress who came to mind (see my previous post for that list), but she's a terrific actress who can easily play older with some minor makeup. To my mind, the most difficult casting will be for Eddie Blake. A good actor, convincingly in his sixties, but large and in excellent shape. That's a tall order. Personally, I think Nick Nolte would hit it out of the park.

As for the other characters, they're all extremely important. But not as difficult a casting job as Eddie.

24. snazzy J Registered

[​IMG]