Casting Thread for WATCHMEN (Suggestions and Announcements!!!)

And I am amazed that someone with your apparent lack of comprehension is a fan of Watchmen.

Your inability to recognize the similarities between the plight of the Spartans and that of a group, like Al Queda, is outstanding.

Though, in regards to your actual post, I would like to ask: what questions did you ask?

Also, you say a "Spartan cause" never existed? So apparently the battle against the Persians never happened - or apparently the Spartans never united on any issue. Now who is the one with a poor sense of history.

Don't come onto this board, find someone that differs with your rather narrow opinion and then personally insult them. Especially when its me, because I will not only argue you, I will expose your mental ineptitude.

I see that honesty is not your best quality: you insulted me, I payed you back.

And boy, you get personal real fast, don't you? That's my definition of what you call "mental ineptitude".

When you say "narrow opinion" my "mental ineptitude" attacks again: I thought "narrow" applied to people, like you, with a peculiar difficulty to grasp something that is a tad beyond the evident.

But I must be wrong, of course.

I see that honesty is not your best quality: you insulted me, I payed you back.

And boy, you get personal real fast, don't you? That's my definition of what you call "mental ineptitude".

When you say "narrow opinion" my "mental ineptitude" attacks again: I thought "narrow" applied to people, like you, with a peculiar difficulty to grasp something that is a tad beyond the evident.

But I must be wrong, of course.

I have no problem with honesty "boy", in fact I have no problem calling a spade a spade, which is what you currently have a problem with.

It was you who would not recognize the fact that 300 could be seen from multiple angles. You ignored this because you felt the need to paint 300 as some sort of American propaganda piece.

So no, I am not a narrow minded person. Hell, I even stated that 300 could be seen as a pro-American movie. Our conflict came when I was the one stating it was open to ones own interpretation - not exactly the normal song of the sort of person you are describing.

He may be acting like a total prick, but I think he has some decent points. I'm sorry, but whether you want to admit it or not, 300 is pretty damn easy to read as a propaganda piece. Was it intentional? I can't, with any certainty, say either way, but I'd like to give Snyder the benefit of the doubt and say that it wasn't. That doesn't make such an interpretation any less valid.

He may be acting like a total prick, but I think he has some decent points. I'm sorry, but whether you want to admit it or not, 300 is pretty damn easy to read as a propaganda piece. Was it intentional? I'm can't, with any certainty, say either way, but I'd like to give Snyder the benefit of the doubt and say that it wasn't. That doesn't make such an interpretation any less valid.

Sure, if you want to read that into it - you can, I am not arguing that.

I am simply stating it was not a blatant, over the top pro-American propaganda piece he is making it out to be. Just as you can read it as Pro-America, you can read it as Pro-Al Queda. The story Snyder told was not exclusive to one culture, one country, one people.

I'd argue that it would be harder to read it as Pro-Al Queda simply because it is about the triumph of Western civilization over an Oriental enemy. Regardless of numbers, that fact is hard to get away from.

Sure, if you want to read that into it - you can, I am not arguing that.

I am simply stating it was not a blatant, over the top pro-American propaganda piece he is making it out to be. Just as you can read it as Pro-America, you can read it as Pro-Al Queda. The story Snyder told was not exclusive to one culture, one country, one people.

The only problem is with the "if you want to".

Once it is made WITH propaganda, you just avoid seeing it if you deliberately set yourself to avoid seeing it.

I agree that 300 is more than just propaganda, but it is there inevitably.

And it is by no means Al-Qaeda stuff. In fact, quite the contrary.

Once it is made WITH propaganda, you just avoid seeing it if you deliberately set yourself to avoid seeing it.

Maybe you fellas should start your own non-spoiler thread for belligerently over-heated, off-topic arguments about the film "300".

I'd argue that it would be harder to read it as Pro-Al Queda simply because it is about the triumph of Western civilization over an Oriental enemy. Regardless of numbers, that fact is hard to get away from.

I find that fact to be more superficial than anything. The theme was not "Horray Western Civilization!" it was that your way of life is worth fighting for, no matter the numbers, no matter how daunting the task, it is worth fighting to your death to.

It was not made as a propaganda piece. You see it as a propaganda piece, and though I understand how it can be seen as such, but that is not what the film was suppose to be.

I am not saying Snyder made it as some sort of support for Al Queda, just as I am saying he didn't make as a Pro-America film. He made a film whose message can be applied to both sides. THATS my point. How can you ignore the similarities between the Spartans and Al Queda?

Maybe you fellas should start your own non-spoiler thread for belligerently over-heated, off-topic arguments about the film "300".

Yes, because Watchmen casting news is just flying off the handle.

If we were interrupting some on topic, important discussion - I would move it.

Since we are not, there is no reason.

Wanna know why it's not a propaganda piece? Because if Snyder made the exact same movie prior to 9/11 or during any moment past or future when US - Iran tensions aren't as high, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

As opposed to say...RED DAWN! Which could only ever be associated with the Cold War in the 1980's. Or Birth of Nation which will never be anything but KKK recruitment film.

Second, I read enough articles and quotes to comfortably say that I don't think Hollywood is all that interested in making blatant propaganda pieces for this current administration.

Third, this film is a fairly accurate adaption of its source material, written by Frank Miller. A writer that really demonstrated no restraint in mocking Reagan's patriotic rhetoric in The Dark Knight Returns.

i always thought the progaganda argument about 300 was pretty ridiculous

Wanna know why it's not a propaganda piece? Because if Snyder made the exact same movie prior to 9/11 or during any moment past or future when US - Iran tensions aren't as high, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I don't know why you gave that as an example, but that proves the other argument, which is: that's propaganda. Because of the tension, you cannot suppose the piece is just a coincidence.

Aside from violence, movie Spartans behave like Christians concerning family, for instance. They behave like Amercian superheroes, mostly Captain America in the 60's, with that boring and blunt propaganda for, a-ham, "freedom".

Like I say, in war situation, that's propaganda. Persians are depicted as corrupt and perverts, they do not love anything, they're, in a word, evil.

With whom do you think moviegoers relate to? :whatever:

And Miller is not like Moore.

Miller dislikes Reagan's policy, of course, but he's fond of tyrants. Moore is an anarchist.

Yes, because Watchmen casting news is just flying off the handle.

If we were interrupting some on topic, important discussion - I would move it.

Since we are not, there is no reason.

Fine by me, I was just kidding, really. But to assert "there is no reason" is absurd. I can think of several.
And by engaging in this silliness, I suppose I am committing the same perceived faux pax as you fellows.

It was not made as a propaganda piece. You see it as a propaganda piece, and though I understand how it can be seen as such, but that is not what the film was suppose to be.

I am not saying Snyder made it as some sort of support for Al Queda, just as I am saying he didn't make as a Pro-America film. He made a film whose message can be applied to both sides. THATS my point. How can you ignore the similarities between the Spartans and Al Queda?[/quote]

Oh yeah, the beard! How could I forget that? :woot:

Just kiddin'.

Seriously: Norman, we won't agree, that's pretty obvious by now. And people are getting annoyed with this discussion.

Let’s shake hands and let it go, like two gentlemen.

I don't know why you gave that as an example, but that proves the other argument, which is: that's propaganda. Because of the tension, you cannot suppose the piece is just a coincidence.

I know why I gave that as an example, because I explained why.

Comic books and graphic novel adaptions are en vogue, 300 is an entertaining story with a great gimmick that had proven successful, so guess what? The people that like to make money off a movies green lit it.

And I'm over this argument myself.

Oh yeah, the beard! How could I forget that? :woot:

Just kiddin'.

Seriously: Norman, we won't agree, that's pretty obvious by now. And people are getting annoyed with this discussion.

Let’s shake hands and let it go, like two gentlemen.

Now that, I can live with.

I will say I do enjoy having people on these forums that will actually argue in fairly intelligent topics. Do not let me scare you from the boards :woot:

Fine by me, I was just kidding, really. But to assert "there is no reason" is absurd. I can think of several.
And by engaging in this silliness, I suppose I am committing the same perceived faux pax as you fellows.

There is no reason to move a thoughtful discussion when it is not inferring with a thread. Yes - this was not the ideal thread for this talk, but it was a thread that was and still is dead. Its use has run out, so we are not interrupting it with a talk about the themes of 300.

Silliness is my posts revolving the massive wang of Doctor Manhattan. This was, instead, a decent - though heated - topic about Snyder inserting Pro-American messages into his films.

After seeing Malin Akerman in The Heartbreak Kid... I've got to say I've lost all hope for her as Silk Spectre / Laurie Jupiter. I don't know if it was the movie, her character, or anything else, but I hated that b*tch in the movie sooo much. And her role in 27 Dresses looks just as bad... I just can't stand Malin, I really don't think she's going to be good as Silk Spectre and I'm a bit worried.

Please oh please Zack Snyder help her do a great job!!

If you think about it, Silk Spectre II isn't a totally likeable character in The Watchmen. She *****es and moans most of the time, talks down to her mother in the beginning, and is basically voicing her distaste for everything if she isn't crying about something else.

I'm gonna give her a chance. Heartbreak kid's been getting terrible reviews all around anyway, so i'm not gonna hold that against her . I'm gonna see her performance , then I'll judge.

I'm gonna give her a chance. Heartbreak kid's been getting terrible reviews all around anyway, so i'm not gonna hold that against her . I'm gonna see her performance , then I'll judge.
unfortunately true, but that's partially attributed to her and mostly attribute to the idiot farrelly brothers... really, go see it, you really will get worried.

And Lobster Charlie, I don't mind, I don't want a bad actress no matter what the role! I want Watchmen to be one of the greatest movies of all time that will go down in history forever and a terrible actor like Malin isn't going to help. :whatever: But we'll see...

unfortunately true, but that's partially attributed to her and mostly attribute to the idiot farrelly brothers... really, go see it, you really will get worried.

And Lobster Charlie, I don't mind, I don't want a bad actress no matter what the role! I want Watchmen to be one of the greatest movies of all time that will go down in history forever and a terrible actor like Malin isn't going to help. :whatever: But we'll see...

Man, I know you're absolutely right getting your expectations that high ('cause the book IS that good), but I'm almost equally sure you're gonna get yourself frustrated with the final result.

Think of this movie as a regular superhero flick, with a lil' bit more intelligence, and a toned down, compact version of the book: that's it. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"