Casual or Hardcore gamer?

TX85

Avenger
Reaction score
What type of gamer are you?,Do you play casually and just for fun or are you all about the biggest challenges/leaderboards and achievements&trophies scores??

For the last couple of years and especially this year I've considered myself a casual gamer,Just want to relax and simply enjoy games,Some games like WWE I'll play under the highest difficulty and play online rank matches for certain games like Battlefield But usually I actually just play single campaigns under ..Normal to enjoy the stories and have decent difficulty playing through it without needing to test my skills in every level under the hardest setting,I don't mind dying or losing as long as it's fun including online since I'm mostly in player matches,Achievements or Trophies..I don't give a damn about!

I'm definitely a casual gamer. Which isn't to say I don't love video games, I absolutely do, but if I got a few weeks without touching the Xbox, that's not unusual. I can get really, really into certain games, plugging in hundreds upon hundreds of hours, while others I just throw on to mess around and some I don't ever finish. As to achievements and 100%, I rarely bother with achievements (unless there's one that sounds particularly fun) and I don't think I've ever once even considered going for 100% completion.

I'm casual...but only because my wife and I are really into TV shows and movies too. :) So some weeks we don't even play games will the weekend.

Somewhere in the middle. I love games. But I'm not super super dedicated to them.

in my younger years, I was probably way more hardcore.

but now I'm definitely more a casual gamer.

Im pretty f'ing hardcore. I purchase, on avg, about 2-3 games a month(save for slow summer months) and complete them. Now i rarely go for every challenge or achievement, but ill at least play the game all the way through to the story's conclusion. I don't get into any kind of new TV shows really(save for Arrow, holy s**t that show is good) and i'll see a movie maybe every few months, so the majority of my time when it comes to media/entertainment is spent with video games.

I also get ZERO enjoyment from online multi player games unless im winning. If my team doesnt win, i didnt have any fun that match, unless the match was super close and came down to the very last second or something.

I also put ALL the blame on "casual gamers" for some of the less than stellar quality products we have gotten over the last generation. Due to the increased people playing games who would fall into the "casual" bracket, publishers attempt to make games more appealing to the broader audience, which often times creates a dilution of the original product.

Last edited:
I play almost every day for a couple of hours but like I said I just play them to relax and have fun,I like having intense moments like in Battlefield But I also like spending a long time cruising around in GTA or kicking thug's ass as Batman or doing some big wrestling matches/etc than going achievement or trophy hunting and trying to have a big rank on online leaderboards

I play almost every day for a couple of hours but like I said I just play them to relax and have fun,I like having intense moments like in Battlefield But I also like spending a long time cruising around in GTA or kicking thug's ass as Batman or doing some big wrestling matches/etc than going achievement or trophy hunting and trying to have a big rank on online leaderboards

Im pretty much the same. I mean i don't care about leaderboards or ranking or anything like that(unless its my W/L ratio on a fighter) but i cant play any form of MP to just 'have fun'. I want to win, winning is fun, losing isn't. I get to the point in Battlefield 4 where once my team loses a few rounds in a row, ill either stop playing or switch teams because the game just loses all its luster. The only time that doesnt really happen is when im playing with buddies. If thats the case the outcome doesnt matter all that much, but theres still only so much losing i can take haha.

Are we really still doing this?

Casual. I play one or two days a week. I love games, but don't play as much as my younger days when I drank heavy. As a heavy drinker, there was nothing better than to down a fifth and trash talk and play competitive games. Now sober I only play a few times a week and would rather go to the gym for hours than play games.

All interesting answers,I thought I was going to be in the minority

I'm definitely a casual gamer. Which isn't to say I don't love video games, I absolutely do, but if I got a few weeks without touching the Xbox, that's not unusual. I can get really, really into certain games, plugging in hundreds upon hundreds of hours, while others I just throw on to mess around and some I don't ever finish. As to achievements and 100%, I rarely bother with achievements (unless there's one that sounds particularly fun) and I don't think I've ever once even considered going for 100% completion.

This is me, too.
I love games and log tons of hours on them, but I don't do it for the challenge or the e-peen on leaderboards. I see it more as entertainment value, and view games as interactive movies/TV shows rather than challenges that I need to "beat."

Yeah I've been seeing them as interactive movies or shows since the first Uncharted came out

I'm a mix. Depends on the game. I'll do as much as I can trophy and in-game objectives wise. But I usually don't stick with it permanelty. I'm not completionist.

Hardcore myself. Probably too much tbh.

I've never liked the word "gamer", really. It brings to mind Gamestop, Spike TV, Xboxes, and Mountain Dew.

I suppose casual, with bouts of hardcore.

This is me, too.
I love games and log tons of hours on them, but I don't do it for the challenge or the e-peen on leaderboards. I see it more as entertainment value, and view games as interactive movies/TV shows rather than challenges that I need to "beat."

I agree completely, but i view myself as a "hardcore" gamer. I mean i game a LOT, but i never really care about achievements/leaderboards or challenges. I guess it just depends on ones definition of casual, or hardcore gamer.

Hardcore. Although, today's games seem to blur that line between the two types.

Not sure if i'm a hardcore gamer per se or i don't play casual games (last one seems to be more accurate).

I play games once a week at least, but do a lot of research and reads about game design and mechanics...

More like a hardcore gamer affitionado (?)

I was a hardcore gamer until the mid-90s, then I started backing off a bit. I'm mostly moderate now; the last game I purchased was "New Super Mario Bros. Wii", last week.

I agree completely, but i view myself as a "hardcore" gamer. I mean i game a LOT, but i never really care about achievements/leaderboards or challenges. I guess it just depends on ones definition of casual, or hardcore gamer.

Yeah it basically is up to someone's definition of the two,I posted my definition of what I see as casual/hardcore and I guess there are elements that could make me hardcore enough.

I play almost every day for a few hours/Can get very into them/Look up plenty of info before release out of hype(not as much as before though/am excited for the new gen..But it's just about the fun and I only finish the story campaigns IF I like the game and story enough,IF I find characters/story and especially a game annoying/overall hard or weak then I'll just stop playing as a big turn off

I do get annoyed by losing in online mp games if I suck too much like I suck at shooters most of the time but love Battlefield anyway,Sometimes I could Only play a few round though like at first it's fun anyway but once I know I'm getting among the highest deaths and among lowest kills then I quit and come back later or days later,Out of being embarrassed though cause I don't get pissef as I used to

I do play "viddya gamez" often and I do follow the news but I don't really care about labeling myself as a hardcord or casual gamer.

Causal, like many I was heavily into them when I was younger.

Nowadays, I only play a couple of days a week because of work and only a few games a year will strike my interest enough to purchase them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"