Celebs indicted on college admissions fraud

I believe one of the articles also indicated that the money they paid that one dude’s “charity” could be used a “donation” and thus, a tax deductible.

It's not second rate, it's a private school and everything but...they're acting like it's Harvard or Yale or something the way she was shelling out cash. Plus the daughter in a video said she only wants to go for the parties.
Just checked out what the annual tuition for Princeton was and it's over $50k a year. Multiple by 4 years and then multiply by 2 children, that's less than 500K that Loughlin paid to get her daughters into USC. :huh:

Just checked out what the annual tuition for Princeton was and it's over $50k a year. Multiple by 4 years and then multiply by 2 children, that's less than 500K that Loughlin paid to get her daughters into USC. :huh:
Maybe she had no way to find a coach at Princeton to bribe but had a contact at USC

Maybe she had no way to find a coach at Princeton to bribe but had a contact at USC
I'm not making the argument that she should have tried to get them into Princeton. Just the sheer amount of money Loughlin paid to get her children into college, which seems above Ivy League School 4 year programs.

Of course, I do have questions, is just the $500k she spent for them just to get in?

Loughlin's daughter is a social influencer (I really hate that effing term) and doesn't seem to be even invested in school and rather party and collect money for hawking beauty products on instagram.

She should have just let her daughter do this thing she's doing and if she really wanted to go back later to school when the whole social influencer thing has dried up, then she should have let her.

Unless this was just all about status of going to a school like USC?

I saw it described as rich enough to throw around this kind of cash, but not rich enough to buy a building themselves. I mean, Kushner's dad tossed in 2.5 million to get him into Harvard.

As for why they would do, who the **** knows. I think it is clear that the rich literally think differently than us. I can understand the Ivy League, but these other schools makes no sense to me.

I feel bad for the kids who genuinely thought they got in, as few as they are. Though, given the lengths needed to get into some of these schools, I guess I can believe they are dumb enough to fall for their parents lies.

If you’re taking part in photo shoots for fake pictures of you doing rowing, then you’re dumb enough to believe you go in because of your own grades.

Honestly, I never want to hear again how affirmative action is “stealing” a spot for someone who is white. These people got caught, but if you think this isn’t happening everywhere in some form, then I have a fake photo shoot for you to be in.

Breaking news, some rich people bribe colleges to get their kids in.

I know it’s a shock, just like that expose of rich people stashing their money in offshore bank accounts.

This is kind of a big nothing burger to me. Mostly because neither of those are things most of us wouldn’t do if we had the money.

I hope you’re wrong. I don’t care how rich I am, I would never pay someone to take my son’s tests or photoshop his head onto someone else to sneak in under an athletic scholarship.

It wasn’t like these kids were smart enough and parents were just paying to improve their odds to get in. They were faking academic records. To me, it’s just short sighted. Do you think your kid is going to do any better once they are actually in college?

I haven't been paying attention to this. I have seen a bunch of headlines about the celebrities...but nothing about what is going to happen legally to the schools. Wouldn't they be AT LEAST partially to blame for the crime?

There are 40+ people implicated in this bribery scandal, but only Huffman and Loughlin are targeted in the media. What about the CEOs on that list?

The focus should be on all of the people, not just the two moms who people seem to care about? I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't give less of a **** about Lori Loughlin. I'd rather know the names of the other people.

This is a good write-up of who else got arrested.

https://deadspin.com/get-to-know-the-rich-*******s-charged-with-paying-milli-1833244052

I haven't been paying attention to this. I have seen a bunch of headlines about the celebrities...but nothing about what is going to happen legally to the schools. Wouldn't they be AT LEAST partially to blame for the crime?

The schools themselves are the victims of fraud, so no, for the most part. Yes, a lot of people involved with the schools are, and I think USC just fired two coaches involved with it. I mean, we will see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

The schools themselves won’t have anything done to them besides taking a hit in reputation. There are individual coaches at the schools who got named so I assume they will be terminated. As for the students, it will be up to the school to determine their fate.

Thanks, folks.
So...people involved in getting kids into the schools were doing it without others at the school in the know about the shenanigans. As long as those people get punished, then cool.

Breaking news, some rich people bribe colleges to get their kids in.

I know it’s a shock, just like that expose of rich people stashing their money in offshore bank accounts.

This is kind of a big nothing burger to me. Mostly because neither of those are things most of us wouldn’t do if we had the money.

giphy.gif

Maybe it's the minority in me, but nah. Nothing was ever handed to me and I preferred it that way. My kids will experience the same. I remember the feeling of not getting into my dream school and especially the feeling of settling. What came next were the best four years of my life at a tiny private school. I'll always be thankful that the universe just sorta laughed at my big plans. It was what I needed more than anything.

We really have turned into a live action version of The Simpsons.

A true man of letters.

Here's the thing that kinda annoys me about the outrage about this. Regardless of how wealthy these people are, and regardless of how much of a dick move they made, the reality is most parents would do whatever it takes to give their kids the best opportunities in life. They will help them with their homework and school projects, they will hire them a tutor for after hours study, they will get them involved with other educational activities outside of school. And then some people won't have that luxury. Many of the people crying foul over unfair advantage are they themselves engaged in practices in order to lift their child above others, maybe not to the degree these parents did, but they're doing it as well because that's what parents do.

Here's the thing that kinda annoys me about the outrage about this. Regardless of how wealthy these people are, and regardless of how much of a dick move they made, the reality is most parents would do whatever it takes to give their kids the best opportunities in life. They will help them with their homework and school projects, they will hire them a tutor for after hours study, they will get them involved with other educational activities outside of school. And then some people won't have that luxury. Many of the people crying foul over unfair advantage are they themselves engaged in practices in order to lift their child above others, maybe not to the degree these parents did, but they're doing it as well because that's what parents do.

Except none of those things you mentioned are crimes.

There's also some students suing the colleges, which I think will be dropped very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"