Chapter 2 - discussixn thread

Discussion in 'Legion' started by psylockolussus, Feb 9, 2017.

1. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

[YT]0EH8fC_3k8M[/YT]

2. Kane52630

Kane52630 Silver Shamrock User

Looking forward to it.

3. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

So was listening to IGN's Channel Surfing podcast and I think it was Eric Goldman who said that he'd seen the first three episodes of Legion. Episode 2 felt the most....how do I put this? Routine? Most like a TV show? Not a negative, mind you, and we'll be able to judge for ourselves, and even the most normal episode of Fargo is still outstanding, so very curious to see how tonight's episode goes.

4. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson apparently words go here, I guess

tonight's the night, bros and girl bros!

5. David H.

David H. Well-Known Member

Am I the only one expecting David to Scanners someone?

6. NotNickFury

The journey through David's mind felt like Cerebro. I like the slow, methodical approach the show is taking to helping David understand his abilities.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Well-Known Member

Melanie is doing what Charles would do if we could spend that much time in a film exploring someone psyche that way. I really liked Ptonomy for some reason, then I realized he reminded me of The Haitian from Heroes which is why.

8. David H.

"It's not real, it's my brain."

9. NotNickFury

This is the sort of focus I wish we could get in the films with Charles trying to coach the younger mutants, particularly Jean, through their abilities. Granted, there's more time to build up in a TV show versus a movie, but I still like how this show is approaching how mutants struggle with their powers.

And all without a super expensive budget. Just work with what you can and give solid character development in the process.

10. Smilodon

Just like Vaughn opting to not have a telepathic battle in FC because of Inception, I do think examining a character's psyche in a dream sequence etc. is a bit of a tired concept. Obviously there's visually innovative ways to do it, but I think in a two hour movie a filmmaker might find it repetitive and unoriginal, especially with how we've had a few shows with unreliable narrators.

In this episode of Legion it was nice to see that kind of development for David and interaction with Melanie/Ptonomy, but the scenes themselves weren't all that different than what we might see in a show elsewhere with an unreliable narrator.

Good episode again. Very straightforward, but in a good way. I wouldn't want to meander with too many stylized sequences. Good to get backstory on Lenny and I guess we now know what that frog from the promo material was from.

Seeing more of that Mojo/Shadow King thing was scary though.

11. Ryan1210

Ryan1210 Well-Known Member

That David and his father scene really reminded me of Cerebro. Maybe David is Charles' son after all.

12. Weather Witch

Weather Witch Well-Known Member

Scenes with David and his father were very curious. That explains some of the marketing material too. Melanie is still giving off some Emma Frost vibes, is that just me? I also like how much of David's past we are already seeing. Also with Lenny showing up in the past, does that make her a personality of David? Maybe. Just like Syd, what are the odds of them knowing each other before going to the institution and then ending up in the same place?

I also thought the scenes with the 'Devil' were actually pretty intense and a bit scary this time around. Can't wait to get more pieces of this puzzle. Stray observations: Time travel class is cancelled and David sees 'other worlds' in the corner of his eyes.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  13. NotNickFury

Was not expecting Eddie Jemison. Even though that was a flashback, I wonder if he'll pop up again.

14. Superhero 101

I liked this episode much better since it was much more easier to follow. Also the whole father thing was very interesting I wonder how it will play out. And that yellow eyed monster is friggin scary I can't wait for next weeks episode since it looks like we get a better look at it/.

15. scarlet-witch

scarlet-witch Heart of Fire

Good episode, the scenes with the father's face being blacked out are curious. I guess they are going the Xavier route? I haven't been reading into this much. Just watching and coming here. :funny:

16. David H.

Well... it's teasing it for fans but (in the comics) David's mother never told Xavier. I imagine that revelation could work in a future season.

17. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Not enough dancing in this episode.

18. Paradox1

Paradox1 Well-Known Member

Good episode pretty straight forward

19. Kane52630

Kane52630 Silver Shamrock User

20. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I liked the first episode better but its still good.

Not trying to take a dig at Marvel Studios but I am pleasantly surprised that Legion is the most expensive looking Marvel TV show so far and its coming from FX/Fox. There are still shots that look TV but a lot of outdoor shots and 16:9 shots look like a screen from a movie to me. Some of the sets, costuming are also inspired.

That fat evil dude is so scary, though I wish the CGi for him would look better. I wish though the narrative is easier to follow. There's just something confusing about the story tellingof the show. I hope it all makes sense after the finale.

21. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

This ep really blew me away.

Got that Hawley charm that I know and love even with a different director stepping in.
    The level of attention to the direction was much crisper as well as the scenes flow better with all those flashbacks.
    Mojo seems even more terrifying.
    I especially love how his long distant telepathy is portrayed.

22. Weather Witch

Someone pointed out to me that 'the stars talking back' is an obvious cerebro reference. Now I'm confused that I didn't pick up on that earlier. :woot:

23. Smilodon

Same. Completely missed that Cerebro reference. I actually thought he was an astronomer for a moment.

24. Weather Witch

To be fair he could actually be an astronomer for all we know, but the Cerebro thing makes a lot of sense. :woot:

25. SirStrangefolk

SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

I've still not picked up on it. Could you explain?