The Mandalorian Chapter Four Spoiler Discussion

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
Chapter Four: The Sanctuary

1. So for the second time in Star Wars television history, they go straight to the Seven Samurai well. And once again, it has mixed results imo.

2. This was the first episode I didn't love. I thought it was fine and whenever Gizmo was on screen, really enjoyable. But this was by far the weakness episode for far. The story itself fell flat for me. It felt short, under cooked, and lacking in the substance to achieve what they were trying to achieve. While I understood what they were trying to go for, they got nowhere near achieving that by the end of the run time imo.

3. Which made sense once the director came on. BDH felt like the biggest risk on the list, and I think it showed in the end. Even with the fun concept of the AT-ST, the introduction of Cara, and Gizmo finally moving around for a bit, it all felt very melodramatic and lacking in dynamism. This was the longest episode, but felt the shortest, as it felt like it was missing a lot to me.

4. Gizmo was great though. I love how he is both childlike and somehow wise at the same time. They really do love their Lone Wolf and Cub, and it has led to some rather nice results. His moving around was so precious.

5. This was the first episode I felt hurt the Mando as a character. After three episodes of building him as a man with a code he had to break to save Gizmo, it felt all way too easy to me that he slipped into straight up forlorn hero, spilling his guts. Weirder yet, it seemed almost impossible to tell how much time passed, which I thought was really odd.

6. One of the major issues here is suddenly all the character motivations are suddenly being explained. The Mando, our mystery man, is suddenly having his motivates and thoughts laid out before us, after the brilliant silence of the first three episodes, where you had to read his unreadable face. Even the start of the episode, on the ship was a perfect example of this. But once Cara got there, it was all explain, explain, explain. It felt like a different genre, a different show because of it.

7. Still can't tell if the Mando is actually a Mando. Which is rather interesting to me. If he isn't, that would mean Boba, Jango and the Mando aren't actually Mandos. The three most identifiable Mandos in the lore so far.

8. I want to know who dropped him off with the Mandos. That has to be the case right? He seemed to heavily imply it, if not outright said it.

9. So they loved advertising Cara, so I assume this wasn't her last episode. But I was honestly surprised she just went on her way at the end. I liked her, but again like the episode itself, not a lot to her so far.

10. I liked the use of the AT-ST. Them using it as this big intimidating force, emphasized just how powerful a whole legion can be.

11. I thought the Mando's armor looked a lot better this week. A lot more metallic then plastic. Hoping that continues.

12. Which reminds me. How in the world was Cara beating him up, while he wore that? Shouldn't that have messed her up pretty bad?

13. Live action Loth cat will eat your soul...

14. The Mando's theme sounding like a theme from Rocky continues to throw me. :hehe:

All in all, not a lot this week. Hoping next week gets us back on track. Back half of the season coming, including Taika's episode! :mrk:

2XTzKLC.png

Last edited:
Interesting new info behind the helmet.

Cool to see the child active than just in a floating carriage.

I like Cara Dune

Last edited:
Another really solid episode.
  • Baby Yoda at his absolute cutest
  • Cara Dune was pretty cool
  • More of Mando's back story
  • Bryce Dallas Howard did a good job
  • The big action sequence was cool enough
They really had me worried that would be the last of the Child this season.

Me too and I would have been okay with it as it would have made sense but now we know he isn't safe anytime soon and so I'm glad Mando is still the child's guardian

I thought this was almost as good as the last episode. I'm not gonna lie, I was worried that they'd be spending the rest of the season on that planet since the whole "mercenary protects a helpless village" plot has been done too many times before, including in other Star Wars series, but as cliche as it is, this episode was really well done. I was happy it was over 30 minutes long this time.

I had to laugh during the scene where Mando and Cara were spooked by the thought of there being an AT-ST. If it were an AT-AT it would be one thing, but Chewie and a couple of ewoks basically took control of one single-handedly in ROTJ. They ain't so tough.

Mando & Cara are The Magnificent Seven by the whole 2 of them :)
Mando introducing Cara : she was a drop soldier for the Rebellion
Me :
gif_clint_yes350.gif

The Kid popping at Mando & Cara standing at gun point : priceless.

If I'm not mistaken, Mando's romantic interest (she raised her hand when asking who can shoot after all) was Pokaontas in the movie with Colin Farell and the mute maid in the TV show The Alienist, correct ?

This episode is much weaker compared to the previous three. The "our heroes helping innocent villagers" is super cliche, the romance subplot coming out of nowhere, Winta is annoying ("Can I feed him?" "Can I play with him?" so much cringe), the kids awing and owing is annoying. The only good thing coming out of this episode is a live action Lothcat.

Let's just say that I don't think Bryce Dallas Howard getting this directing gig is purely based on her merit (I know that no gig in any profession is based purely on merit, but still).

Cliche but nah not weak to me. This may actually be my 2nd favorite episode. Not as great as last week but still very good

It made sense. Mando was exchanging his services (another very western influence) for somewhere to lay low for a while. He even took the credits and gave them to Cara.

The kids weren't annoying. or ''cringey'', they were reacting exactly like the audience has to baby Yoda.

Cliche but nah not weak to me. This may actually be my 2nd favorite episode. Not as great as last week but still very good
Every episode so far has been cliched. But so far every episode has done something with those cliches. This one felt like a 90 minute story, cut in half, and then left all the interesting bits on the cutting room floor.

It made sense. Mando was exchanging his services (another very western influence) for somewhere to lay low for a while. He even took the credits and gave them to Cara.

The kids weren't annoying. or ''cringey'', they were reacting exactly like the audience has to baby Yoda.
The kids were playing with another kid. I mean I guess you could consider that cringe, but I am not exactly sure why. I felt like that was the best aspect of the "peaceful life" scenario presented. Cara explaining everything however... ugh. Especially as the first three episodes avoided that beautifully. Letting the actions tell you what was going on. It is like once they got a protagonist with an exposed face, that stopped being a thing. Even the Mando was busy explaining a bit too much imo.

This is the first episode I can say that I loved from beginning to end. It wasnt rushed, the Mando was his most expressive, Cara was great and I hope sue returns, the villagers were likeable and the action was a step up from last weeks episode which fell flat for me. That ATST was genuinely scary. Like some carnivore in a Jurassic Park film. Gizmo was precious as always.

The one issue I had was the Mando taking his helmet off to eat in front of the big open window. The kids could have easily seen his face or any villager could have walked by the window and seen his face. That is NOT the way.

I really hope Cara returns this season!

Dug the action in this but it may be hard to top the compound infiltration and escape shoot out for me.

Last edited:
This was the weakest episode.

The dialogue and exposition seemed to come from a different show. I don't know why Mando became attached to the Julia Jones character and told her everything after knowing her for a day. I don't know Mando trusted Cara so easily. All this seems to go against the character written in the first three episodes. I thought Chapter Four was written by someone other than Favreau before the credits hit.

The direction was bland. BDH was obviously a first-timer. The episode lacked the shot selection and pacing of experienced directors Deborah Chow and Rick Famuyiwa.

Hopefully this stays the worst episode because it was pretty bad.

the romance subplot coming out of nowhere,

:huh: I could see this complaint if Mando settled down with her and starting making babies, and the series ended here lol. But a woman he met was interested in him...he didn't act on it, and moved on. How is that "out of nowhere"? It's not like there should have been scenes in previous episodes leading up to their brief encounter.

This episode was ok, very simple and quaint. Old fashioned. It reminded me of an Ewok TV movie! I do think Bryce Dallas Howard's inexperience kind of showed. But I did admire Favreau's continuing throwbacks to Asian cinema and Westerns.

If I'm not mistaken, Mando's romantic interest (she raised her hand when asking who can shoot after all) was Pokaontas in the movie with Colin Farell and the mute maid in the TV show The Alienist, correct ?

The actress from "New World" with Colin Farrell is Q'orianka Kilcher. This is Julia Jones. I did wonder that for a moment but it is a different actress. They both guest star in a few different popular shows.

This episode is much weaker compared to the previous three. The "our heroes helping innocent villagers" is super cliche, the romance subplot coming out of nowhere, Winta is annoying ("Can I feed him?" "Can I play with him?" so much cringe), the kids awing and owing is annoying. The only good thing coming out of this episode is a live action Lothcat.

Let's just say that I don't think Bryce Dallas Howard getting this directing gig is purely based on her merit (I know that no gig in any profession is based purely on merit, but still).

I think your idea of cringe or cliche is meh at best here. Also your insinuation about Bryce is really uncalled for if I must say so. Implying because of her being a woman or who her father is, or both. That’s not really called for IMO in this conversation. Kinda seems you’re grasping at straws for your own reasons. But yeah that’s my thoughts.

Last edited:
My least favorite episode so far, but I did still enjoy it quite a bit. Just seeing Baby Yoda walk around the village and interact with people was enough to put a big smile on my face, and I already really like Gina Carano's character. I hope we get to see her and Mando team up more in the future. Hell how awesome would it be if we got a Mando, Cara Dune and IG-11 Magnificent Seven type spin-off show with them just going around fighting off bounty hunters and raiders? Now, that could be something pretty dope IMO. Also, that AT-ST was pretty damn scary.

This was the weakest episode.

The dialogue and exposition seemed to come from a different show. I don't know why Mando became attached to the Julia Jones character and told her everything after knowing her for a day. I don't know Mando trusted Cara so easily. All this seems to go against the character written in the first three episodes. I thought Chapter Four was written by someone other than Favreau before the credits hit.

The direction was bland. BDH was obviously a first-timer. The episode lacked the shot selection and pacing of experienced directors Deborah Chow and Rick Famuyiwa.

Hopefully this stays the worst episode because it was pretty bad.
jJmwW7C.gif

You nailed it man. It felt like a different main character, that they lifted the dialogue and exposition from a completely different show and the direction was lacking quite a bit as well.

I think your idea of cringe or cliche is meh at best here. Also your insinuation about Bryce is really uncalled for if I must say so. Implying because of her being a woman or who her father is, or both. That’s not really called for IMO in this conversation. Kinda seems you’re grasping at straws for your own reasons. But yeah that’s my thoughts.
Too be fair, she did get the job do to nepotism. I don't think that is controversial to say. She has very few directing credits, which are short films and a documentary. Now she could have got the job do to nepotism, and then made something really good. Katie Lucas got her writing job on TCW do to who her father is. But then she crushed it and no one really cared. Outside of The Academy, no one likes The Academy...

So yeah, the only reason the nepotism comes up is because the episode wasn't great. And I don't even think we can apply the sexism card here. So far it seems most people's favorite episode was last' week's. And that was also directed by a woman, Deborah Chow. Who crushed it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"