The Mandalorian Chapter Sixteen Spoiler Discussion

ive seen this term being used a lot lately???
George's last edit on Star Wars included Greedo saying it. It became an instant meme when it debuted on Disney+ and was quickly removed. Bib Fortuna also said it last night during the post-credit scene.

Maybe slightly unpopular take:

I realized Luke tearing crap down doesn't excite me. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Luke action sequence and it's something I've always wanted to see, but as it was happening, unlike the Boba sequence 2 episodes ago, I wasn't in awe. I feel like I've come to the realization that prefer Luke when he's imperfect which is why I loved him in TLJ, ESB and if people ever read it, Dark Empire 1. When Luke is portrayed more stoic like in ROTJ, and the Legends books, he's frankly a lot more bland to me.

Despite that I loved the finale, and I LOVED the R2D2 cameo. Special shout out to Bib Fortuna. I'm ready for shenanigans with Fennec and Boba next year.
I agree. Luke vs. Darktroopers should have been a much tougher fight than Vader vs. Rebel Fleet Troopers. IMO, the comparisons between those scenes is a flaw, not a good thing.
They made the dark troopers a little too powerful for my liking. I would have preferred Mando, Bo Katan and the others (given that they are all special characters) all to be able to take on a few each, but that they would still be very dangerous and in those numbers would win. Moff didn’t offer a whole lot more threat than one solitary dark troopers to Mando.
Personally, I thought they weren't powerful enough. I absolutely loved the one that fought Mando, but then they all turned as useless as Stormtroopers when Luke showed up.
That's my problem though, so far the only real arguments I've seen against S3 being Book of Boba is

1) People won't like it and
2) They could do both in the same month.

Everything else seems to indicate that it is the same thing. I really hope they'll clear it up soon though.
Where is the evidence that S3 is going to be replaced by The Book of Boba Fett? They already announced Mando S3, and it makes absolutely no sense to sideline their headline show and derail the Mandalore plot they spent this whole season setting up. Boba has been set up for a separate project, as was already rumored months ago, and they kept it a secret so as not to spoil the end of the season.

That's my problem though, so far the only real arguments I've seen against S3 being Book of Boba is

1) People won't like it and
2) They could do both in the same month.

Everything else seems to indicate that it is the same thing. I really hope they'll clear it up soon though.
Yeah, I hope so. It’s not really standard practise so they’d have to have a good reason to take the title character out of his own show and give it to someone else who could justify their own spinoff easily. Money left on the table, or at best a strange convention that isn't going to appeal to geek collectors (like me).

Also this show is the first live action Star Wars since ESB that is universally giving people what they like/want (just going off what I'm personally seeing everyone say about it). It’s stacked with fan service done well, so it seems strange to do something that wouldn't really have any obvious benefit while having a drawback for some. People will still be tuning in but it feels like an unnecessary move, like for eg changing the name of Star Wars going forward to something else deemed cool like.... Galactic Battles. :hehe:

Personally, I thought they weren't powerful enough. I absolutely loved the one that fought Mando, but then they all turned as useless as Stormtroopers when Luke showed up.
I agree with them being completely useless against Luke lol. I would prefer them to be dangerous individually but for any of our named characters to be able to take between 2-4 of them out each rather than Din struggling against 1. In the numbers that were attacking them I would be happy for the assumption to be that the heroes would eventually be overwhelmed. Finally, when Luke arrived he was always going to plough through any group of super droid warriors, but I would have liked the danger to still be evident in when they miss Luke that they damage the ship or each other severely for eg. Something to show that he is dispatching an entire platoon of beast droids rather than TPM buffoon droids.

I'm hoping that Disney has at least noticed the response that Luke's return received from this episode.
Yeah, Disney doesn't know people like Luke Skywalker. Big mystery to them. Never could have saw it coming. :o

Actually it is a big mystery to me, because I swear everyone acted like my boy sucked before they wanted to complain about TLJ. Not everyone of course, but he suddenly became the most popular character after years missing out in terms of top 5 spots on favorites list all over the community. :funny:

Look, one can only take so much Troy Denning fanboyism.

Yeah, Disney doesn't know people like Luke Skywalker. Big mystery to them. Never could have saw it coming. :o

Actually it is a big mystery to me, because I swear everyone acted like my boy sucked before they wanted to complain about TLJ. Not everyone of course, but he suddenly became the most popular character after years missing out in terms of top 5 spots on favorites list all over the community. :funny:

I was referring to how fans are still invested in the character and would likely want to see more of him in either guest appearances or on his own show.

I was referring to how fans are still invested in the character and would likely want to see more of him in either guest appearances or on his own show.
They know that. They use Luke sparingly for a reason. It's the same with Leia and why they have handled both live action representations of the characters younger selves the way they have. After how recasting Han went, I understand why they feel that way. Because as much as I love Solo and Alden's portrayal, the idea clearly stirred some feelings as a concept.

I still hope for a post-RotJ animated show, with the OT crew.

They know that. They use Luke sparingly for a reason. It's the same with Leia and why they have handled both live action representations of the characters younger selves the way they have. After how recasting Han went, I understand why they feel that way. Because as much as I love Solo and Alden's portrayal, the idea clearly stirred some feelings as a concept.

I still hope for a post-RotJ animated show, with the OT crew.

Unlike the divisive reaction with Alden's portrayal of a younger Han Solo, it appears that (some) fans would be more open to recasting Luke if it was with a fan favorite choice like Sebastian Stan.

Unlike the divisive reaction with Alden's portrayal of a younger Han Solo, it appears that (some) fans would be more open to recasting Luke if it was with a fan favorite choice like Sebastian Stan.
Fan favorite to who? In this very thread you have a divide over it. Some who while not loving the execution preferred that Luke was de-aged and no recasting. I am more opened to it then most, but Sebastian Stan is a twitter thing.

Also you do realize they made the choice already right? I feel like what they decided to do with the end of the second season of the Mando showed how they want to handle this. How they handled TRoS and Rogue One, shows how they want to handle this. Maybe they will change their mind. But right now they clearly don't feel like doing it, and it isn't like they haven't made a crap ton of money off Star Wars recently, even as people on these very boards have complained that they just irredeemably ruined Star Wars. I'd find it so odd if it wasn't so typical of fanbases that people complain about LF not knowing what they are doing or being creatively bankrupt, and then go straight to, "but they should just do a Luke show because it will be popular". They are doing well doing different things. We have two Jedi based mini-series on the horizon, with a Sith one also on the way.

Would I love a Luke show? Yes. Do they have to do it? No, of course not. Moreover, the continued complaining about it has somehow turned the mostly joyous return of Luke Skywalker into another way to complain about LF not giving you exactly what you want. Especially as when this topic came up just last week, I told you let's see what they do. And then bam, they did something, showing how they want to handle Luke, at least right now.

Fan favorite to who? In this very thread you have a divide over it. Some who while not loving the execution preferred that Luke was de-aged and no recasting. I am more opened to it then most, but Sebastian Stan is a twitter thing.

Also you do realize they made the choice already right? I feel like what they decided to do with the end of the second season of the Mando showed how they want to handle this. How they handled TRoS and Rogue One, shows how they want to handle this. Maybe they will change their mind. But right now they clearly don't feel like doing it, and it isn't like they haven't made a crap ton of money off Star Wars recently, even as people on these very boards have complained that they just irredeemably ruined Star Wars. I'd find it so odd if it wasn't so typical of fanbases that people complain about LF not knowing what they are doing or being creatively bankrupt, and then go straight to, "but they should just do a Luke show because it will be popular". They are doing well doing different things. We have two Jedi based mini-series on the horizon, with a Sith one also on the way.

Would I love a Luke show? Yes. Do they have to do it? No, of course not. Moreover, the continued complaining about it has somehow turned the mostly joyous return of Luke Skywalker into another way to complain about LF not giving you exactly what you want. Especially as when this topic came up just last week, I told you let's see what they do. And then bam, they did something, showing how they want to handle Luke, at least right now.

I will admit that seeing Luke in the finale was a pleasant surprise. And yeah, they don't need to do a show about Luke Skywalker right now. However, there's definitely a desire from fans to see Luke's adventures post ROTJ and pre TFA. Exploring those previous years wouldn't be a retread of past ideas. But we'll see on what happens later down the line.

In regards to recasting; all I'm saying is that I don't recall there ever being any support or desire from fans to see Aldrich portray Han prior to "Solo".

Idk....just because some people think Sebastian Stan looks like Mark Hamill doesn’t mean it’d be the same. Stan tends to play anti-heroes and unsavory types. Idk if he’d have that same sort of noble “vibe” that Mark did. Their voices aren’t alike. When a character is as synonymous with an actor as Luke is with Hamill, I think seeing anyone else would be a bit jarring.

PS, I’ve always thought Sebastian Stan looks more like ‘80s Michael Biehn than like Mark Hamill.

I'm really curious to see the making of for thus season. Hope they go in depth on the Luke scene. I wanna know how they did it.

I'm hoping that Disney has at least noticed the response that Luke's return received from this episode.

That 3 minutes of Luke Skywalker was the Luke Skywalker that I've been waiting to see since 1983 - I suspect a lot of people felt the same.

Favreau did more justice to the character in 3 minutes than was done in all 3 of the Abrams films.

I can't believe it took Disney so long to figure this out.

Where is the evidence that S3 is going to be replaced by The Book of Boba Fett?
It's funny because people seem to assume I actually want this to be the case. I would be overjoyed if Boba Fett turns out to be a separate thing, but:
  • Season 3 of Mando was originally rumored for December 2021 and then clarified to be on Xmas 2021
  • The vague term "the next chapter" was being thrown around rather than next season
  • Then it was reported "Boba Fett" is already filming in Mando's usual slot, while the new volumes are still being built, which means Mando would have to be delayed
  • Now despite a Boba spin-off not being announced at the biggest Disney investor day of the past few years
  • And there not being any real spoilers in that announcement because people knew that Boba Fett was probably going to happen and nothing in Season 2 has a real impact on that
  • "Book of Boba Fett" is announced now with a post-credit scene in The Mandalorian
  • Being called a "book" in a show with "chapters" and not making sense for a standalone title
  • But perfectly fitting for a season title, similar to the ones used in Agents of SHIELD from which Mando borrowed 5 actors
  • The show is called "The Mandalorian" which opens it up to different characters related to Mandalore, which (hey) Boba Fett's connection to Mandalore was called out in the episode
  • Even the logo, which added the child in S2, is built to accommodate changing characters
  • And to top if off, the main arc of Grogu and Din appears to have reached a natural conclusion in the episode just before all of this happens
Now again, I don't actually want this to be true, and there's still a chance that it isn't, but it seems very weird to me to dismiss all these signs.

Last edited:
It's funny because people seem to assume I actually want this to be the case. I would be overjoyed if Boba Fett turns out to be a separate thing, but:
  • Season 3 of Mando was originally rumored for December 2021 and then clarified to be on Xmas 2021
  • The vague term "the next chapter" was being thrown around rather than next season
  • Then it was reported "Boba Fett" is already filming in Mando's usual slot, while the new volumes are still being built, which means Mando would have to be delayed
  • Now despite a Boba spin-off not being announced at the biggest Disney investor day of the past few years
  • And there not being any real spoilers in that announcement because people knew that Boba Fett was probably going to happen and nothing in Season 2 has a real impact on that
  • "Book of Boba Fett" is next, only announced now with a post-credit scene in The Mandalorian
  • Being called a "book" in a show with "chapters" and not making sense for a standalone title, but perfectly fitting for a season title, similar as used in Agents of SHIELD
  • Airing in the same month as Mando season 3 and Andor, which once again would complicate the post-production of Mandalorian and give them even less time until the construction of the new volumes are completed
  • The show is called "The Mandalorian" which opens it up to different characters related to Mandalore, which (hey) Boba Fett's connection to Mandalore was called out in the episode
  • Even the logo, which added the child in S2, is built to accommodate changing characters
  • And to top if off, the main arc of Grogu and Din appears to have reached a natural conclusion in the episode just before all of this happens
Now again, I don't actually want this to be true, and there's still a chance that it isn't, but it seems very weird to me to dismiss all these signs.

But isn't this all pretty much moot after it was previously announced that the show would be getting a third season? Plus one of the crew members also confirmed that the filming schedule for Boba's show would be different from the Mandalorian's third season.

And I think they pretty much established that next season would deal with Mando working with Bo Katan to reclaim Mandalore.

I'll reiterate once again that I would actually prefer for Boba Fett to be a separate thing, which makes it weird that I'm continuing this discussion, I know... In the end, I hope we'll just get a statement that Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Ahsoka and Rangers are all considered books. That's a possibility as well.

But isn't this all pretty much moot after it was previously announced that the show would be getting a third season?
Not unless we have any insight into what stories would be next. The Book of Boba Fett is different than Ahsoka and Rangers in that regard because it wasn't announced previously and would work exactly the same if it were Season 3. The only thing that would cause is a break from Din being the main character, but with several shows building towards a big event, we'd probably see him popping up left and right anyway. In fact, that would free him up to have a bigger impact on the other shows as well.

Plus one of the crew members also confirmed that the filming schedule for Boba's show would be different from the Mandalorian's third season.
However, soon after, Bateman deleted his first Tweet and posted a clarification that he "doesn't officially represent Lucasfilm." So that's not really a confirmation. Though he did say he thought it was more likely that it's two shows. That's fair and I do hope he's right.

And I think they pretty much established that next season would deal with Mando working with Bo Katan to reclaim Mandalore.
Why though? They could deal with that at any point in the next years. Maybe in Season 4, the big crossover event, or potentially in Rangers of the New Republic as well, with Moff Gideon going with Cara.

Last edited:
That 3 minutes of Luke Skywalker was the Luke Skywalker that I've been waiting to see since 1983 - I suspect a lot of people felt the same.

Favreau did more justice to the character in 3 minutes than was done in all 3 of the Abrams films.

I can't believe it took Disney so long to figure this out.

I wasn’t expecting to see Luke and I literally shed happy tears.

I wasn’t expecting to see Luke and I literally shed happy tears.
I'm still not over all the amazing stuff we got this season. Luke, R2D2, Ahsoka, Bo-Katan, Cobb Vanth, Boba Fett, Bib Fortuna, Thrawn namedrop... Just looking at that list, it's almost impossible that none of these introductions felt forced, but that's just how well Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have done this. In addition, of course, we got a lot of returning S1 characters, a krayt dragon, spiders, stormtrooper action, a character with Nightsisters / Dathomir ties, more about the Empire after ROTJ, and a lot of Grogu goodness. I can't wait for all the Filoniverse stuff and other SW shows still to come.

Idk....just because some people think Sebastian Stan looks like Mark Hamill doesn’t mean it’d be the same. Stan tends to play anti-heroes and unsavory types. Idk if he’d have that same sort of noble “vibe” that Mark did. Their voices aren’t alike. When a character is as synonymous with an actor as Luke is with Hamill, I think seeing anyone else would be a bit jarring.

PS, I’ve always thought Sebastian Stan looks more like ‘80s Michael Biehn than like Mark Hamill.

Mark Hamil himself approves of Sebastian playing a young Luke, so on that alone we should go for it.

But in actuality I don't foresee Disney casting anyone. I expect Luke's future appearances (if any) to be kept at a minimum. So they will probably just stick with the deaged cgi gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"