The Dark Knight Rises Character Portrayals - Old films vs Nolan films (Spoilerish)

I didn't care for Joker in that scene at all. But again, that all came down to the bad writing.

I already said I enjoyed the hospital sequence, that included his corruption of Dent. But again, I didn't really see any sort of glee or anything in him.

Haha, really?

That's interesting. I guess you really can't please everyone.

Haha, really?

That's interesting. I guess you really can't please everyone.
Well I am one of the few that heavily disliked TDK, but enjoyed TDKR a lot better, making it on par with Batman Returns for me.

Bale and Oldman are exactly how I pictured Wayne and Gordon from the comics. They are like the comic book characters come to life.

All Nolan, up to Catwoman. I liked Burton and Nolan's portrayals. When it comes to the cities...I liked Burton and Nolan's equally.

I didn't care for Joker in that scene at all. But again, that all came down to the bad writing.

I already said I enjoyed the hospital sequence, that included his corruption of Dent. But again, I didn't really see any sort of glee or anything in him.

I don't know if I'd call it bad writing. Clearly you don't like how he is portrayed in that scene, but I thought everything about the interrogation from the bright lighting, acting, camera angles, and yes, the writing, was flawless. I'd actually go so far as to call it the best scene in the trilogy. But different strokes and all that.

Joker did seem to be getting some jollies from the Harvey Dent chase, especially when Batman crashes and he is giddy at the prospect of cutting the mask off. He could barely contain himself when he was making the journalist list his plan on the video recording. He also seemed to really enjoy messing with Rachel before Bats showed up.

Last edited:
I don't see how Ledger's Joker suffered from bad writing, especially when the writing surrounding the character was universally praised by critics and fanboys.

...Then again, the issue here could likely be that there are several posters who don't believe in personal preference -- just 'bad' writing if they don't get exactly what their hearts desire.

*shrugs*

Bruce Wayne and Batman
Michael Keaton played an older, more mature, and sophisticated Bruce Wayne in my eyes. His Batman was nice as well.

In my opinion, Val Kilmer was really not that bad. He was in Schumacher's Batman, of course it is going to suck. However, I thought with a good director and a well written story, he could have been good. I do not blame him for Batman Forever sucking.

George Clooney was just awful. I think I saw him on an interview where he said he tried to portray Bruce Wayne as an intelligent doctor. I do not even think he did anything to prepare for the part.

Christian Bale was fabulous. I am not a fan of his jaw being dropped when he is in his Batman suit, but that is the only thing I can nitpick at. He played more of a playboy billionaire compared to Michael Keaton.

If I had to choose the best Bruce Wayne, I think it will be Christian Bale. If I had to to choose the best Batman, it will have to be Christian Bale. I still have respect for Michael Keaton and Tim Burton. They made a great Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Bane
Tom Hardy was the better Bane of course. He actually played Bane. Jeep Swenson did what he was told. He was strong, ugly, and was a big animal. Tom Hardy wins this one, and it is not even close.

Robin
Joseph Gordon Elliot was the better Robin. He was just the better actor. I liked him more. I always got an awkward feeling inside of me when I watched Chris O'Donnel's Robin and Dick Grayson. I could see Nolan's Robin actually holding his own. Joseph Gordon Elliot wins this one, and it is not even close.

Commissioner Jim Gordon
Both Pat Hingle and Gary Oldman both did well. Obviously, Gary Oldman's Gordan was more involved in the story. I think everyone can say he was the better Gordon. Hingle's Gordan just did not see enough screen time. I have nothing against Hingle. He did well with the little opportunities he had.

Alfred
Michael Gough's Alfred was more of the butler and servant, which he played well.

Michael Caine was more of his "accomplice".

I liked Michael Caine's portrayal much more. He had a deeper relation with Bruce Wayne.

Harvey Dent and Two-Face
It is a shame that Billy Dee Williams never got his chance. I would have loved to see Tim Burton's Two-Face with Billy Dee Williams. As for Harvey Dent goes, he was not bad. He did not get enough screen time of course.

Tommy Lee Jones' Harvey Dent was just a ripoff of Jack's Joker. It was just an awful portrayal, and there is really nothing I liked about it.

Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent could be my favorite thing about Nolan's franchise. I absolutely loved his portrayal. He went from a hero to pure evil. He got to play both sides, and played them well.

Eckhart wins for best Harvey Dent and best Two-Face, and it is not even close.

Best Joker
This is a though one. Two very different Jokers that I loved. This is a tie. Jack's and Heath's Joker were both ahead of their time.

Best Catwoman
Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman was more damaged and had more story. Anne Hathaway's was more tactical and the criminal type, while Pfeiffer's was the more vengeful type. I have to go with Anne Hathaway. She was prettier too, :yay:.

Nolan's portrayal do get the benefit over Tim Burton, with Nolan's being newer and such. I cannot give any benefit of the doubts to Schumacher. All of Tim Burton's portrayals were lovely.

Last edited:
Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy beats them all............

no, all Nolan for me too, but I dont think its really the actors more the better written characters that does it.

Alfred : Michael Gough. The more I watch Nolan's films, the more annoyed I get with Michael Caine. Not the portrayal or the actor, but the way the character is written as permanently trying to dissuade Bruce from being Batman instead of being his long-time support and essential ally.
Then you must have been watching 2 different movies. :dry:

It wasn't until TDKR that their relationship broke. In BB and TDK he was a supporter, but always cautious of the effects it has on Bruce. His reason for leaving Bruce in TDKR was clear. He can't take it anymore. He wasn't dissuading, he cared.

I would laugh my ass off if my master said the things Bruce said on that plane.

Batman: Bale by far. He looks like Bruce Wayne, he acts like Bruce Wayne. His Batman much more badass and intimidating than previous versions. Also he is the only Batman who doesn't fight like an average joe. I always felt like big guys can beat Batman, like Joker's goon (the black guy) kicked Batman's ***. But no way, any thug can compete with Nolan version Batman.

Joker: Ledger. I enjoyed Jack's version, i laughed with him a lot, he was so much fun and cool. But Ledger's version is diabolic,smarter,charming and no regard for life,even his own. The way i want joker to be.

Catwoman: Hathaway. Pfeiffer was much more beautiful and she was seducing but she had almost super powers and acting like mentally ill. I didn't like that part of character.

Bane: Tom Hardy. Not Sweenson's fault but even if he had great role, he wasn't even an actor.

Alfred: Caine. He had other business other than bringing alcohol to Wayne's guests. Caine shined even smallest scenes in the movie.

Robin: JGL. Not O'donnell's fault. He has been in terrible movies.

Gordon: Gary ****** Oldman. Other guy was playing poker or something when Oldman's Gordon catching Joker and going after Bane.

Two-Face : Eckhart. I want to forget Jones' Twoface. Not the actors fault though.

So all Nolan..most of them by far.

Nolan for them all. I do like Michelle Pfeiffer's performance to Hathaway's, but I like everything else about the Catwoman character better in TDKR. I was never a fan of the whole psychotic, raised from the dead Catwoman.

I didn't say I was annoyed by how their relationship broke.

Alfred's portrayal has never been one of silent acceptance of the fact Bruce wanted to become Batman in Nolan's trilogy.

From the get-go (Begins), when Bruce is on his way back to Gotham on his private jet and he exposes his idea to Alfred, Alfred looks less than enthusiastic about it. Later he will admit to Bruce that the only thing that stopped him from calling the men in whites was that he thought it wasn't going to be an ego trip.

Throughout TDK Alfred's fine and even seems to not want Bruce to quit. Yet he still looks pissed when he notices Bruce has been out and has not slept in his comfy penthouse. What the hell do you expect, Freddy? He's Batman. Not just one night a week. EVERY night. Get over it already.

I won't say anything about TDKR because the movie pretty much speaks for itself.

Why do you tell me that Alfred cares as if I had said something else? I never said Alfred was an unloving mo-fo or anything to that effect. He cared a lot about Bruce and his well-being, and that's why he never really liked the idea of Batman.

Again, he may not have said much to make me feel that, it's more in the way he behaves, looks and talks to Bruce whenever they're going on about Batman. It is clear to me Alfred thinks Batman is dangerous for Bruce, and does not approve of "this monster" as he puts it himself.

Now, I'm not saying that "it'z not like da comikz" or whatever. I'm just saying I don't like that characterization of Alfred. Nolan wanted Alfred to be "us" in these movies, he wanted Alfred to speak for the audience. "Watch out, this Batman is not such a hot idea, you're going crazy and you could kill yourself". I get it. I just don't like it.

It seems you do dislike it because he he is not unwaveringly supportive of it like in the comics. Which is fine, I can respect that.

I honestly miss Caine's Alfred whenever I read a Batman comic now (which admittedly is rarer) or play the Arkham games. Not because of his skepticism, but because of his hilarious sly cockney humor. Caine is so awesomely endearing in these movies, the more dry and droll Alfred takes some adjusting to.

As for how he is depicted to view the Batman, keep in mind that Nolan is going for a real world-like approach. Alfred raised Bruce Wayne alone since he was a child and swore to protect him to Bruce's dead parents. He is Bruce's surrogate father and has been for 20-some years when Bruce becomes Batman and 30-some years in TDKR. I don't think any parent would really want to see their child destroy themselves physically and psychologically going out night after night in a costume to fight dangerous lunatics with his bare hands.

In TDK, he was supportive of seeing the idea through. He urged Bruce to finish the job and stop Joker, to clean up the city even without Rachel or Dent. But after eight years of seeing the loss of Rachel eat away at Bruce's soul while his body deteriorated from injuries, Alfred not being keen on him suiting up again makes sense.

Though yes, in the comics, Bruce's body would never deteriorate that much and he wouldn't mourn a dead lover that long. So, the situation never gets to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"