Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Jul 8, 2012.

1. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

He showed hints of his genius and detective skills especially in TDK but I think it wasn't showcased enough in the trilogy to erase debates like this.

It doesn't help too that in the interviews with Nolan and Morgan Freeman, they always say that Fox is the "brains of Bruce Wayne".

2. Deserana

Deserana 2005/2008/2012

Yeah his detective stuff was mainly shown in TDK some examples being -
    - Scanning radioactive bills
    - Watching Harvey Dent
    - The bullet/fingerprint stuff
    - Developing Fox's sonar to find The Joker

but that is pretty much it. I don't think there is one detective moment in TDKR other than when he identifies Selina.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  3. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Identifying Selina Kyle.

4. Deserana

Deserana 2005/2008/2012

Remembered that as soon as I posted it :woot:

5. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

I think some of you think "smart" equals "genius", which just isn't the case. Batman is shown able to use technology to obtain information in this franchise. Doesn't require genius level intellect, so its not shown. He seems like a smart guy...except when it comes to relationships.

6. Orb

Orb Lord of Demons

One thing I always wanted to see was Bruce in a disguise (not ski masks or Batman, think Sherlock Holmes). Sadly we didn't get that once.

7. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

I've always wanted to see Matches Malone in this series. :csad:

The closest we got to a disguise is in BB when Bruce was wearing that orange hoodie. But that's more of just hiding his identity rather a disguise so I just contradicted myself. :funny:

8. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I want Matches Malone in the next film, dangit. Not that I am criticizing Nolan's work -- I have no complaints--but want a different iteration of Bruce.

9. 27.poker

27.poker Member

Bruce patched the Bat autopilot software, so yeah he's at least above average smartness.

10. DerTommissar

DerTommissar Well-Known Member

Well, I might be in the minority here, but I would call Nolan/Bale's Batman a genius.

Bruce Wayne having the creativity to assemble preexisting but unrelated ideas, motivations, materials, training, information, finances, resources, etc. and focus them into a functioning and ultimately effective mission is one big, bold and powerful display of genius.

Especially in Nolan's more plausible world.

If Bale's Wayne existed in reality, I would definitely regard him as a genius.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  11. Green Ghoul

Green Ghoul Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nolan simplified Batman. I wouldn't say he's average though. As for the comics, look up any bio on the character. Although Batman is my favorite comic book character, he's kind of turned into Batgod as the decades have passed. He's a master of most things. Nolan was trying to take a more realistic approach on the mythos, including the main character.

12. Robin91939

Robin91939 Master Tim

He IS a genius.

He attends Princeton University.
    He uses what he finds in Applied Sciences to create a one of a kind Batman suit.
    He created the "government telecommunications project" in The Dark Knight without the aid of Fox.
    He's still always one step ahead. (Fox: You already knew... Wayne: I just needed a closer look at their books).

And there are several other things Wayne does that shows that he is of well above average intelligence.

-R

13. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

Surely it depends on your interpretation on the word "genius" for starters, based purely on IQ rating he would be up there surely. He takes a lot of advice from Alfred and Fox but thats a sign of intelligence as he is willing to listen to those with other knowledge/experience.

14. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

I also like it how Bruce remember and acts upon things in the movies (fixing the autopilot, Alfred's cafe dream, etc) when it seems like he doesn't care.

15. Tequilla

Tequilla Well-Known Member

Genius or not , we are shown he's very resourceful and adaptable. Thats Batman.

I think people are starting to confuse detective work with csi montages...

16. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I'm fine with Batman just being a really smart, perceptive guy. I don't think he really needs to be Mensa certified in order to be a valid characterization. Leave that to Peter Parker. I always imagined Bruce as more of just a really quick learner and someone who's very willing to put in the time to study something inside and out, whatever it is. In my mind he's the kind of guy where if you underestimate his intelligence, you're going to lose.

17. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

Anyone else LOVE how calm and unflappable Batman is during his first comeback? The way he's surrounded by dozens of cop cars, and he just stands there for a while, slowly walks to the batpod taking his sweet time, and calmly shoots the truck to make a path for himself. Not afraid or nervous at ALL. That was just badass Batman right there.

18. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

He's just moving slowly because his knee hurts. :)

19. theLegend

theLegend Well-Known Member

Detective work in BEGINS seperating the few police and politicians he could trust from the rest.

Going undercover spying on Rachel.

In TDK investigating and in a line of dialogue insinuating he knows and can identitfy virtually the entire GPD roster.

"Brian ... Richards, and some patrol man I don't know"

Researching and finding the caliber bullet used in order to replicate and scan finger print.

In RISES finding out the "Cat" burglar's identity, and knowning extensive ways of getting finger print pulls.

All of that is detective work.

I don't know what people expect to see when they refer to this aspect of Batman's arsenal.

Do they merely think detective work is Batman with a beaker and flass testing chemical compounds for an hour and a half to be labeled as detective work?

20. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

That was such a great moment, especially when I first saw it in IMAX.

But yeah, Nolan showcased a lot of Bruce's intellect in his trilogy. TDK and BB have the most, but TDKR had a nice chunk, mostly revolving around Selina, her identity and tracking her with the pearls. Icing on the cake was definitely the auto-pilot. That was slick as hell.

For the people who say Nolan didn't capture the detective aspect of Batman in his films, I swear they wanted Nolan to beat us over the head with it. And to be fair, all of the other Batmen on film have been competent crime fighters. But IMO, Nolan showcased it the best throughout his three movies. Especially in TDK, but that was a given because it was the classic crime drama epic. It's more understated, but if you are paying attention you cannot miss it.

21. COMPO

COMPO Well-Known Member

I like Nolan's interpretation of Bruce Wayne, but the only thing I didn't like about his characterization was that he always quit. I mean for me Batman is the hero who will never quit, its an ongoing mission for him. I understand Nolan doing it but at the same time its a taste thing 2bh

22. echostation

echostation Well-Known Member

he's just really dumb when it comes to trusting people... like tremendously stupid, and of course liking that dumb moron of a character Rachel who had absolutely nothing redeemable in her... she was just as bad as Singer's version of Lois... what the hell is there to like in two loser women like those...

23. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

...Rachel was the last connection to a better time in his life. Since he never took the time to move on, it makes sense that Bruce was fixated on her.

24. Binker

Binker Well-Known Member

Couldn't find the Bale/Batman thread, so I'll post it here: I gotta say, Nolan and co. achieved their goal throughout the entire trilogy in making me/us care ALOT for Bruce Wayne when not in costume, compared to the films before the trilogy where we were just biting time till he got the costume. Heck, when I see Batman, in costume, I would go as far as to refer to him as Bruce and not his dual identity. More congrats to Nolan.

25. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Long but good read. :up:

http://whatculture.com/film/the-dar...night-rises-an-appreciation-of-christian-bale