Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Jul 8, 2012.

1. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Assuming if that were true, I wouldn't blame the guy and it'd make sense. Back then, the character was new to him, and now he's playing it for the third time and..well..given on how he really likes to get into character at times, he could just emitting off of how he's supposed to be playing a tiresome Bruce.lol

2. CapedCrusader14

I guess he's still in character ;)

3. Batman jr.

Batman jr. Proud Nolanite

I think he's tired + aren't a lot of the questions dumb and/or asked by lame interviewers?

4. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

[click for bigger image]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/49327/time-to-get-off-the-bat

6. Nave 'Torment'

Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

^ the closing moments of the interview is just so vivid with the image of Bale sitting there with the cowl.

End of an era.

Honestly, I don't want WB to make another Batman movie. Not for a good 10 or 20 years. This was the defining Batman film adaptation and its success says a lot on that. I hope we do not get a reboot anytime soon. Justice League or otherwise. Bale is Batman.

7. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

+1,000,000.

8. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Agreed; I mean it's one thing to reboot a franchise if the last film was not received entirely well (Spider-Man 3/Hulk (2003), or not even at all (Batman and Robin), but it's another thing where the last film of a given franchise ends on a very and I mean VERY STRONG NOTE. To top things off, the two previous films before it were also strongly received as well.

So really, if Warner Bros. wants to even make another Batman film and have it be successful, no matter who they end up getting and how good that person is, they need one thing even more..TIME.

I honestly don't think that fans and audiences will be ready to accept another Batman after Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy until a lot of time has passed.

Anyways, regarding Bale's take on the character, honestly, it's my favorite one. There's just no real way that I can explain it.lol I mean the way that the character has been portrayed in both writing and acting, they make you care about Batman and his journey and how a job like his doesn't only present a danger to those that he goes after, but to his own health, and I'm talking more mentally/emotionally than physically.

I hated on how the past Batman films treated the material as if being batman wasn't something that would/could take a toll on the person donning the suit. Sure, Keaton's Batman was recluse, but there was nothing to me that showed that being Batman was hurting him more than he was already hurting at the start of his journey on film. The same thing with the following two other versions of Batman.

The irony here is that technically speaking, Burton's and Joel's Batman are in a sense from the same continuity, meaning that Bruce in that large continuity has been Batman for several years...and yet in the long run, hasn't made as big as impact on Gotham as Bale's Batman will who's only been Batman for 2-3 years tops.

9. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Bale interview:

There's a portion that's spoiler-ish so that's in a spoiler tag.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/13/christian-bale-dark-knight-rises-goes-full-circle

10. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I really like this fan made trailer that shows the journey of Bruce Wayne.

11. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

That is very nice! :up:

There's going to be some really great conversations here after we see the movie. This is the first time in a live action Batman film where we actually will see an entire finished arc for Bruce.

To get things started and just thinking out loud, I wonder if there was any instance during the BB and TDK times where Bruce was happy at all? We see him smile and crack jokes with Alfred or Fox but I always felt, being the tragic character that he is, that he hasn't been happy in a long while (heck maybe since his parents died). And then without being spoilerish, we know that he's going to go through so much hell in TDKR and he was already depressed leading to the events of TDKR...

12. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

In BB he's more hopeful the war won't be forever and that inroads are being made. In TDK I felt he was always longing for something that he couldn't reach. Wanting Harvey to replace him. Wanting Rachel to be with him. Wanting the Joker to stop his madness so the City and he could move on. And at the end he has to take on more burden. In TDKR, it looks like the lowest of low - but ultimately the release of the burden in some way.

Can't wait for all of those discussions. :up:

13. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Yeah. I think he was happiest (or maybe most hopeful is the better word like what you said) during the time he came back to Gotham in BB and was preparing to be Batman. He had full of ideas back then and I don't think he anticipated the tragedies that will arise from him being Batman. He knew it wasn't going to be easy but I don't think he fully expected all the tragedies that will happen to him in TDK and TDKR.

14. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Love that quote in one of the interviews above where he tells how he does the Batman voice for his daughter's friends, chasing them around even. Such a funny and sweet picture in my head. :D

15. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Back when things were just starting out...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Nave 'Torment'

^ i love that little bit between Bruce and Rachel. It's a spearhead. How utterly PROPER a thing to give to the Dark Knight :D The scene that followed, with Alfred chasing after him and Bruce climbing down to the cave... that is just vintage Batman, something straight out of the comics or the animated series (or even Adam West's if you count the rush!)

Still one of my favourite scenes to date :D and yeah. I agree, that's the one point where he genuinely seems happy. He's a man who is content when he's engaged in his crusade. Can't get anymore heroic than that.

I'd say that he was also happy somewhere in the beginning of TDK, when he was with Gordon and Dent and they were doing the hero-thing so well before the Joker showed up. Gordon's surprising revival was no less an uplifting moment than that but yeah. Bruce is the happiest whenever he's busy Batmanning around. heh.

17. Nave 'Torment'

Exactly, especially since you have a complete Trilogy. For the audience that's a pretty finished/complete series on its own. They can always dish out another Batman movie and yes, fans will clamour to watch it, and at the end of the day WB will make more money off the character, but making one so close on the heels of the previous one (just when it finished off) would just seem tiresome and dull. And that's something you don't want the audience to feel.

I know that I certainly won't feel this.... um.... invested? .... in another live-action/cinematic adaptation of Batman for a good while. The catharsis to come off from this entire trilogy needs, as you've said, time to be ingrained and accepted by the majority of fans. TDKR is taking a risk by beign the third film in the franchise - the demented part 3 - when your protagonist has no where else to go. But by placing it firmly within a cohesive Trilogy, Nolan's managed to dodge that and address his entire take as one long Heroic Epic, like Lawerence of Arabia or something. They probably have a term for it somewhere. A reboot this fast would make it taste like movie # 4 -- the buzz, the bling, the badassery of the franchise, but nothing from the original that made the original a classic.

18. Aaron O.

Aaron O. Well-Known Member

and then Bruce throws the wrapping paper on the floor for Alfred to take care of. hahaha

19. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Love the suit. :up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Zatanna

Zatanna Mistress of Magic

He's lookin' good. Mmmm.

21. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

That is a really nice suit Bale is wearing there. The wide peak lapels actually got thinking about what if Nolan and Hemming had dressed Bruce in old school double-breasted suits in the trilogy like Bruce in the early comics or BTAS Bruce. Ironically, Nolan dressed another billionaire heir with abandonment issues very similarly rather recently...

[​IMG]

22. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

It's Tom Ford apparently. :)

23. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

Bale's or Murphy's?

24. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Bale's.

25. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member