Child's Play remake

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/2...ilds-play-and-chucky-really-doesnt-like-cats/

Here’s a full rundown of what we saw:

Andy (played by Gabriel Bateman) is up late in his bedroom, playing a Stratego-type board game with his new best friend, a Buddi doll named Chucky. They’re having a blast, and Chucky (voiced by Mark Hamill) is clearly learning Andy’s specific lingo and mannerisms, commenting that his taking of a game piece was “a dick move!”

Andy reaches down for something that dropped off the table, and his cat (I’m 99% certain that its name was Mickey Mouse) lashes out and scratches his hand. A trickle of blood runs from his wound. Chucky is captivated, “What’s that?” he inquires? Andy makes a comment about how he hates that damn cat and heads off to the bathroom to fetch a bandaid.

“Cat hurt Andy,” Chucky says to no one in particular. His blue eyes turn red. From the bathroom, Andy hears the cat shrieking! He runs back into his room to find Chucky strangling poor Mickey. Is it malicious intent or simply a misunderstanding that came from a place of caring? I guess we’ll have to wait until the movie comes out to know for certain. Chucky does, however, release the cat on Andy’s command. The boy looks startled, but not exactly scared–not yet at least.

Andy’s step-dad (or mom’s boyfriend, or manny–who knows) rushes in to investigate the commotion. He scoops up Mickey and yells something along the lines of “Quit forking around!”

:wow:

Yep it still looks really solid IMO. I am loving how much Hamill sounds like Dourif, and some of the deaths look like they are going to be pretty damn brutal too. The A.I. element seems interesting as well at least with how creative they can get with the set pieces, but I'm getting the feeling a lot of people won't be on board with it. Like someone else already said why would he need to use a knife when he can control almost everything electronic?

Certainly looks different from the original.

The only thing I didn't like was Chucky basically being a super computer controlling all electrical devices around him. Makes you wonder why he even needs a knife.

Other than that it looks really good. Hamill is clearly channeling Dourif's voice.

He's a learning AI, he probably doesn't realize he can control stuff until later. He's just going by what he sees. He probably sees a commercial or finds some info regarding how he's basically an IoT device that can technically work with anything else on wifi.

They spoiled two possibly good deaths but rest is alright . Interesting reimagining

He's a learning AI, he probably doesn't realize he can control stuff until later. He's just going by what he sees. He probably sees a commercial or finds some info regarding how he's basically an IoT device that can technically work with anything else on wifi.
Or maybe he learned to "Enjoy" killing personally with a knife

I'll say this he didn't look as good as he did in the recent poster in that one closeup

Or maybe he learned to "Enjoy" killing personally with a knife
Yeah, like the Joker in TDK. He didn't like guns because he wanted to savor the death of his victims, so he preferred using a knife, or something like that.

Good trailer.. didnt really give a lot away with the exception of teasing two of the deaths. Really liked the shot of Chucky in the shadows watching Andy sleep, and I didnt even really mind the "evil glowing red eyes". Im also wicked pumped to see what happens in that toy store rampage. The lil grin Chucky gives in that brief shot of his face, and the way he says goodnight to Andy firmly removes any fears I had Chucky will be a personality-void Alexa.. He's clearly enjoying terrorizing everyone here.

Will admit tho the CGI on his face is definetely not all that.. hopefully they polish it up in the 2 months, also still not sold on the Discount Losers Club.. would rather Andy and Mom have to deal with this on their own rather than having a squad.

Kids think everything is a battle royale these days.

Just because Chucky can control other devices that he can link with, that doesnt mean that he can kill anyone, anytime, anywhere. What is he going to do in the room I'm in...get the tv to sprout legs and chase after me? Nope...he's going to need that knife.

And Hamill sounds great in that little bit.

New Chucky Will Make A Major Change From The Original Child's Play Chucky

Sure, Game of Thrones coined the phrase, “What is dead may never die.” But that concept can also apply to just about every major horror franchise, as classic killers from Freddy to Jason appear to die, but always figure out how to return to create chaos. This is fine. Audiences WANT to spend more time with these terrifying threats. But it means that storytellers have to find fresh ways to bring the beloved horror threats back, and Child’s Play thinks it figured something out.

We are getting a new Child’s Play movie on June 21, from producers Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg. The new movie will serve as both a remake and a reboot of the classic Child’s Play franchise, which followed a doll named Chucky who was possessed by the spirit of deranged serial killer Charles Lee Ray. In the new movie, the team found a new way to revive Chucky, and detoured away from the serial-killer spirit inside of the doll.

It’s a major switch to the doll’s origin, and at a recent press event for the film, producer Grahame-Smith told CinemaBlend:

We sort of lean into more of the AI/Kaslan story and hint at a Chucky that is driven by something different than he is in the original series, when he's Charles Lee Ray and he's just a truly psychopathic killer in the body of a doll. [Also, there is] the mother/son story, the emotional component of the movie, which I feel like the movie really delivers. And then above all that, just the intensity, the gore, the fact that the movie is rated R, that it really does go there when it goes there. I think the movie looks big, is much bigger than a lot of movies that are our size - very affordable movie, we are. But we had big ambitions. Those are, I'd say, the primary things we're going for.

Child’s Play producer Seth Grahame-Smith elaborated to CinemaBlend on the origin angle of Chucky in the new movie, explaining:

You're getting at the heart of, I think, what a lot of people are inherently skeeved out about AI. Does it have its own agency, or is it just a series of processes and commands and executions? The truthful answer is by the time the movie's over, I don't know. I think at the beginning of the movie, you'll see sort of briefly why this particular doll is the way that he is, and it's not every one of these dolls, right? So why is our Chucky special. And then it's going at that inherent need to make his child happy no matter what, right? To bond with him, to be with him. It starts out like you saw in the clip, very sweet. It's two characters in Chucky and in Andy that both in their own ways at that point in the movie been rejected. Andy is certainly in need of a friend, and finds one in Chucky. So that's the reason we showed you that clip, because we wanted to sort of lean into that this is a relationship that is genuine that goes off the rails in a big way. It's not just brooding, and it's not sinister from the jump. It gets there, for sure, but that I think just gets to the heart of what we're trying to do here, and why we felt like there was a why and a cultural relevance to doing a different version of this classic series.

As the conversation played out, CinemaBlend learned that Child’s Play isn’t just changing Chucky, at his core. It’s also making changes to the boy who befriends Chucky, thereby changing their relationship. Andy in this new movie is older than he was in the 1988 Child’s Play, which kind of means that he’s past the point of playing with dolls. Seth Grahame-Smith assures fans that the movie will address that immediately, and goes on to say:

He's not necessarily like super excited about this gift when he gets it. But once he realizes that this thing has his interest in his heart and mind, they grow on each other. We knew that one of the differences we wanted to do here was to ultimately put more pressure on kids having to do this than in the original movie where it's Karen and Detective Mike, primarily Detective Mike, hunting this [doll] down. And now Detective Mike is a big part of the movie. Brian Tyree [Henry] is amazing in the movie, and obviously Karen - Aubrey [Plaza] - is amazing in the movie. But that really helped us give Andy sort of a life away from mom that we could exploit for different things.

Nothing about this to me really looks that compelling. I know they are trying hard to differentiate from the voodoo angle but this whole ability to control tech isn’t really much of an improvement to make it scarier.

We Saw a Scene From the 'Child's Play' Remake That's Reminiscent of 'Terminator 2'

The Reason for Remaking Child’s Play
The producers are well aware that many fans of this franchise bristled at the initial news of their remake. “Believe me, we get hate mail all the time from people. ‘Why remake this? Why reboot this?’ There has to be a reason other than, ‘It’s been twenty years,’ Katzenberg told me. “It was important to us that there be a ‘why’ to creating a new version of a beloved horror character,” Grahame-Smith explained to the group of gathered journalists. As you can see in the trailers, the filmmakers found their “why” in the form of technology.

“Right away, we were like, ‘We have to do something about technology,’” Katzenberg revealed. “In this day and age too, who’s going to buy a doll for a kid that’s just, like, a doll? That felt kind of outdated, especially when kids are walking around with iPhones. I have a little girl and we have a Nest camera, and we keep hearing about those cameras getting hacked into. Those fears that seem to be universal, actually having that play a part in this film was meaningful to us.”

And while the Chucky in the original film is imbued with the soul of a twisted serial killer, that plot is nowhere to be found this time around. “The first one is Charles Ray, aka Chucky, getting shot, the master of voodoo getting trapped inside this doll,” Klevberg told me. “There’s nothing of that [in this film]. This is a different take. That was one of the biggest things for me, why I wanted to jump on this, because it meant that I could create Chucky as a character looking at the world for the first time.”

He also says they made the movie “as practical as possible, which meant we were going to use animatronics as much as possible.” That might make some fans breathe a bit easier about this remake, and though that approach ended up being challenging, Klevberg feels like the tactile nature helped the actors get into the spirit of things during filming.

Chucky Learns a Lesson (Or Does He?)
After we got an early look at the trailer yesterday, the filmmakers showed us a quick scene from the new film. Here’s what we saw.

A young boy named Andy (Gabriel Bateman) sits in his room, playing a board game with his toy pal Chucky. They’re laughing and goofing around, and I was pleased to hear the score not taking the Stranger Things approach with stylish nods to 1980s pop culture, but instead wrapping around the scene like a warm blanket…and then the horror creeps in.

A board game piece falls onto the floor. When Andy reaches down to grab it, his cat bites his hand, causing him to wince and pull back. “What’s that?” Chucky asks, as blood drips down Andy’s hand. The doll is genuinely concerned, and Andy admits that he’s hurt, grumbling about being sick of the cat as he goes into the other room to get a bandage. As soon as Andy walks away, Chucky looks at the cat and his eyes turn red. Uh oh. The camera stays with Andy in the other room as he cleans himself up, but we start to hear cat noises coming from the bedroom, and when Andy returns, Chucky is angrily choking the cat. Andy intervenes and the cat is set free, but the boy has to explain that Chucky shouldn’t hurt people (or cats). Then a man (possibly his step-dad?) appears at the bedroom door, telling Andy that the cat is going nuts and before he walks away, he demands that Andy clean up his room. Andy sort of rolls his eyes, looks back at Chucky, and says something along the lines of “Well, maybe except for that guy.” It’s a sarcastic remark, but Andy may have just signed the man’s death warrant.

The Influence of Terminator 2
If that description sounds like this scene from Terminator 2: Judgment Day, it doesn’t seem like that was by accident. Klevberg, who is from Norway, told me that T2 is his favorite movie of all time, and while he didn’t purposefully shout-out to James Cameron’s classic sci-fi sequel in the framing of his scene, he admits that he may have subconsciously referenced it. Katzenberg says they all talked about classic Amblin-era movies for inspiration, and admits that T2 conversations did come up along the way. But Grahame-Smith was the biggest proponent of the T2 comparison:

“I always think about Terminator 2 in almost any project I work on, just because I feel like that’s one of the most perfectly structured scripts of all time. There’s so many lessons to be learned from it. But yeah, the two things I can’t help but think of when I watch that scene are Eddie Furlong saying to Arnold, ‘You can’t just kill people!’ [Does Arnold impression] ‘Why?’ It has that same sort of vibe to me – not that I’m comparing our movie to T2, that’s not at all what I’m trying to do. And then you think of E.T., because of the way that scene looks. And let’s not forget the fact that he’s wearing a red hoodie in that scene. The reason we showed you guys that scene was really to underscore where Chucky is coming from at the beginning of the movie, what the relationship is: it’s a true friendship that then becomes corrupted and turns into a life or death situation…If we ever get to do a sequel, maybe we’ll go full T2.”

Not surprised T2 might have been an influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"