Child's Play : The Series

I saw the last film on Syfy a few months back. It was rather...interesting to say the least. I do wish it just ended with adult Andy finishing it once and for all in the previous entry.

The last film was forgettable. Felt like they were just making it up as they go with the rules of the voodoo and multiple Chuckies roaming around. I'd rather they reboot the original film into this series. Stretch out the amount of time that Chucky is undiscovered by anyone outside of Andy. That could be interesting.

Geez Don "dumbass" Mancini way to flog a dead horse which you've been beating after CP 3 which the third film in my view is the last worth a damn chucky film and Chucky died in the fan and time to move on! but no Bride of Chucky was mediocre but it tried something different but kind of falls flat on it's face then Seed, Curse and Cult I DESPISE so much! it's time to just let this franchise just die already and the character has became a total joke after 3.

Being a fan of these original cinematic horror characters/franchises is like having a beloved relative who’s been on life support for years and you’ve accepted they’re gone so you’re just waiting for someone to realize they need to pull the plug

Chucky Series in Development at Syfy

Syfy is on red alert!

The cabler has landed rights to a potential Chucky series, with franchise creator Don Mancini attached as a writer/EP. Per Mancini, the project — which is in the development stage — will explore Chucky “with a depth that is uniquely afforded by the television series format, while staying true to the original vision that has terrorized audiences for over three decades now.”

The Chucky character — aka the red-haired, freckled-faced doll possessed by the soul of a serial killer — arrived on the scene in the 1988 feature Child’s Play. The plush menace appeared in six subsequent sequels, most recently 2017’s Cult of Chucky. Mancini will shepherd the TV version alongside David Kirschner (Curious George), and Nick Antosca (Hannibal).

“It’s very rare that you get the opportunity to bring such an iconic character to your network, let alone with the original creator attached,” said Bill McGoldrick, President, Scripted Content, NBCU Cable Entertainment, in a statement. “We look forward to working with Don, David and Nick on putting their blood, sweat, and more blood into bringing the Chucky story to television.”

Buzz regarding a possible Chucky series began circulating over the summer after Mancini dropped a cryptic teaser on Twitt

So I guess the story from the movies is done now? (And Chucky basically won) This seems to be another reboot, or they could set it up as a "twist" and later on say that it's all taking place in the same universe...

But I think they went too far with the multiple Chuckies in the last movie, so I wouldn't mind a fresh start

Nick Antosca tweeted that Chucky will retain his love of f bombs in the show.

'Chucky' TV Series a Go at Syfy

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has handed out a straight-to-series order for a new take on horror franchise Chucky. An episode count and premiere date have yet to be determined. The news was announced Saturday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, where Syfy was attending alongside corporate siblings from NBCU. In other news from Syfy, the cabler also announced it is developing The League of Pan, a limited series extending the adventures of Peter Pan but focused on the group of misfit children who refused to grow up.

First put in development a year ago, the new Chucky take hails from original franchise creator Don Mancini, who will pen the script, exec produce, serve as showrunner and direct the pilot. Chucky brings him back to the Syfy fold following his work on anthology Channel Zero.

The new Chucky will explore the horror that unfolds in a small idyllic American town after a vintage Chucky doll turns up at a suburban yard sale and the chaos the ensues when as a series of murders exposes the town's hypocrisies and secrets. Meanwhile, the arrival of enemies and allies from Chucky's past threatens to expose the truth behind the slayings as well as the doll's untold origins.

David Kirschner (Hocus Pocus) and Nick Antosca (Channel Zero) will exec produce via the latter's Eat the Cat banner. Universal Content Productions, where Antosca is based under an overall deal, is the studio. Harley Peyton (Channel Zero) will also executive produce.

"The character Don and David created has terrified audiences for over 30 years. The longevity and legacy of Chucky speaks to the creative storytelling and the loyal fans the film series has collected over the years,” USA and Syfy president Chris McCumber. “We are excited to once again partner with Nick and UCP on this new Syfy series, and are incredibly proud to bring Chucky to television for the first time with the original creators.”

Reactions: CJ
I enjoyed where the last couple of films took it. I really liked Nica. But it no longer sounds like a continuation of that, so I don't know.

I loved Cult honestly. It's completely bat**** in the best way.

Man I really hope that this is good, but my expectations aren't high. I wasn't all that impressed with either Curse or Cult of Chucky, but there are some elements in those movies that work.

Don Mancini teases Child's Play watch party and return to 'straightforward horror' for Chucky TV show

The film series has also marked an evolution for Mancini, who began as a writer on Child's Play before branching out as producer, second unit director, and director. And with a Chucky-based TV adaptation coming to SYFY, he now gets to take on the role of showrunner.

"I feel like Chucky has been my ticket to doing a lot of things in this business," he says.

This brings us to the red-haired, overalls-wearing elephant in the room: the Chucky TV project, which is cloaked in an intriguing haze of voodoo mystery. All we know about the plot right now is that it involves a sleepy American town plunged into absolute chaos when a Chucky doll pops up at a yard sale. To quote Thin Lizzy: Blood will spill.

“One of the things that we've always tried to do over the course of the decades and the different movies, is we just try to switch it up a lot," Mancini explains. "From film to film, I've always tried to create a different tone, plug Chucky into a different subgenre. We've gone from straightforward slasher to comedy to crazy satirical comedy and back to straightforward horror again.”

He adds: "With this TV show, our mission has been to preserve the straightforward scariness of the original film or the first couple of films. But at the same time, continue on with this ever-expanding tapestry of consistent story that we've spun over the course of seven movies and 30-some years. I think fans are really gonna love to see the new characters that we introduce into this realm and just to see how they came off of our classic characters. Not just Chucky, but some of the others that you may be hoping to see. There's a good chance they may turn up."

Mancini credits his writing involvement on Hannibal and Channel Zero with sparking a desire to take a stab at bringing his beloved creation to the small screen.

"What Bryan Fuller was doing with [Hannibal] felt like fan fiction made by experts, and I really love that aspect of it. So I feel like, in a way, we're doing that with Chucky now," he continues. "I'm working with all these really talented writers, all of whom are huge Chucky fans, many of whom grew up on Chucky, and despite the fact that that's a painful reminder of my age, it's great to hear their ideas and just to start incorporating stuff into it that I might not have thought of."

A lot of the writers' room activity harkens back to Mancini's overall philosophy of keeping Chucky relevant for whatever decade he's released into. For the show, he wanted to explore how the murderous doll impacts the modern-day lifestyles of "a whole new group of kids."

"One thing I think I can probably safely say is that it's a look at what it means to be a kid today in the 21st century, as distinct from what it was like to be a kid in the 1980s, when we first showed up on the scene," the creator adds. "That's one thing I think people can look forward to and thinking about: 'How does Chucky operate in a world where kids spend so much of their time on social media?', for example. Playing video games, interacting with one another on social media as opposed to in a park, which is what we might have depicted 30 years ago. I think the prospect of seeing Chucky sharpen his skills and add to his toolbox, some of the technical goodies that we have at our disposal now, that's something I think people will find pretty interesting."

Moreover, "it's so important to give Chucky new weapons, new strategies, and new targets, new goals ... Chucky has a different goal in the TV show than he's ever had before, and it's specifically something that is designed to evoke something that's going on in the zeitgeist today."

And yes, the series will utilize "pretty much 100 percent puppetry," Mancini reveals. "I think it's so important to keep Chucky as a practical puppet effect, partly because it's important for the actors to have something to respond to on set ... I also think it's important that Chucky have the feel of a doll, of a puppet. He should be a little bit herky-jerky."

Oh yay, back to taking a killer doll seriously. The only type of person Chucky is an actual threat to is people who are disabled. His reign of terror would be crazy short otherwise.

I prefer the comedies but I know that's not popular.

Moreover, "it's so important to give Chucky new weapons, new strategies, and new targets, new goals ... Chucky has a different goal in the TV show than he's ever had before, and it's specifically something that is designed to evoke something that's going on in the zeitgeist today."

I wonder what this will be.

Mancini really won’t let this go. Happy for the fans but man, he knows how to milk this. Child’s Play was great and Bride of Chucky was a great reinvention, but I feel the success of those had more to do with the directors behind them than Mancini at this point.

"One thing I think I can probably safely say is that it's a look at what it means to be a kid today in the 21st century, as distinct from what it was like to be a kid in the 1980s, when we first showed up on the scene," the creator adds. "That's one thing I think people can look forward to and thinking about: 'How does Chucky operate in a world where kids spend so much of their time on social media?', for example. Playing video games, interacting with one another on social media as opposed to in a park, which is what we might have depicted 30 years ago. I think the prospect of seeing Chucky sharpen his skills and add to his toolbox, some of the technical goodies that we have at our disposal now, that's something I think people will find pretty interesting."

I guess he didn’t see the remake last year that literally did all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"