Child's Play : The Series

“Chucky”: The Trailer for Don Mancini’s Series Will Premiere During Comic-Con@Home!

Notably for horror fans, we’ve learned that USA & SYFY will be presenting a “Chucky” panel on Sunday, July 25, and we’ll be treated to the world premiere of the first trailer!

Here’s the full rundown for the “Legacy of Chucky” panel…

“USA & SYFY present an exclusive featurette that celebrates the 30+ year legacy of the Child’s Play franchise and iconic character, Chucky, with never-before-seen interviews with franchise creator Don Mancini and fan favorites Brad Dourif (Chucky), Jennifer Tilly (Tiffany), Fiona Dourif (Nica), Alex Vincent (Andy Barclay), and Christine Elise (Kyle). Fans will also get a behind-the-scenes look and world premiere exclusive trailer of the highly anticipated Chucky series coming to USA & SYFY this fall, which will welcome Devon Sawa (Final Destination, Casper) and Lexa Doig (Arrow, Stargate: SG1) to the franchise as well as Zackary Arthur, Bjorgvin Arnarson, Alyvia Alyn Lind, and Teo Briones. Get ready to play!”

The panel starts July 25, 2021 at 2:00 pm (GMT-07:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).

'Chucky' first look: Get a killer tease of horror icon's TV show

"The main character is a 14-year-old gay boy who's bullied and sort of lost after the recent death of his mother," says Mancini. "He's a young artist [making] sculptures with doll parts. He finds Chucky at a yard sale and buys him, but it turns out that he gets much more than he bargained for." Arthur is joined on the show by young actors Teo Briones, Alyvia Alyn Lind, and Björgvin Arnarson. "One of the things I wanted to do was bring [the franchise] back to its Child's Play roots and have the protagonists [be] kids. But since, with the first couple of movies, we'd already delved into having little kids I wanted to explore something different, so this time we're exploring young teenagers."

"One of the things that we pride ourselves on, and I think makes our franchise singular, is that we have spun a relatively consistent and coherent narrative over the course of 33 years and seven films and now eight episodes of television," says Mancini. "I think that's one of the things that our fans like about the Chucky franchise. I deliberately ended Cult of Chucky on a series of cliffhangers, majorcliffhangers, because I knew a TV series would be the ideal place to accommodate delving into the ramifications. So we begin the series introducing our new story, our new milieu, and then we start to bring the veteran characters into the story, and it all comes together for a big showdown."

Another element of the TV show which pays homage to the franchise's past? The Chucky doll seen in the series is deliberately modeled on the version seen in 1990's Child's Play 2.

"Over the years, I've heard that the consensus fan favorite among all the movies is Child's Play 2," says Mancini. "I think one of the reasons for that is how Chucky looked in that movie and how the late director John Lafia, who passed away last year, shot Chucky. Our goal with the series was to bring Chucky's look precisely back to that. Tony Gardner and Peter Chevako (special effects artists responsible for creating the show's puppets) have done a great job. I think fans are really going to love that."

If Chucky proves a success, Mancini hopes to make further seasons of the show and is also determined his pint-sized psychopath will star in more movies.

"We have plans to do that, whether in lieu of additional seasons of the series, or in tandem with [them], potentially," he says. "We're creating a broader Chucky universe with the TV series that now could span over different media."

A272CEA0-5473-4D85-A795-A0F541C35609.jpeg

Last edited:
How 'Hannibal' helped inspire the 'Chucky' TV show

Don Mancini is best known for dreaming up and overseeing the killer doll Child's Play movie franchise, but he has also worked as a writer-producer on the shows Channel Zero and Hannibal. Mancini tells EW that the time he spent collaborating with executive producer Bryan Fuller on the latter series led him to create the show Chucky which will premiere Oct. 12 at 10 p.m. on USA and SYFY. "I think I first started thinking about it when I was working on Hannibal," says Mancini. "I was such a huge fan of that franchise, the films, the books, so when it became a TV series I was initially skeptical. A TV series? And no Anthony Hopkins? How is this going to work?"

Mancini changed his mind when he actually saw the show, which starred Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen and premiered on NBC in 2013. "Of course, like everybody else, I was blown away. Anyway, I ended up in the Hannibal writers' room. I really loved working on that show, and I loved working for Bryan Fuller, and learned a lot from him. I saw that one of the things that made that show so interesting and exciting was that it was kind of fan fiction written by experts. It was a sort of fanciful imagining initially. What was Hannibal like when he was a practicing psychiatrist consulting with the FBI before anyone knew he was the big bad? That's when I started imagining doing the same thing with Chucky, having eight hours of narrative to play with and doing it with a bunch of like-minded horror geeks and legit Chucky fanatics. I've been around for quite a while now, and I meet a lot of younger people who love the franchise and who grew up on it, and so I felt, wow, if I can cultivate the excitement that they have for Chucky, in the same way I felt Bryan Fuller was able to cultivate my and the other writers' excitement for Hannibal, we could have something really special. At the same time, one of the things I've always tried to do with the franchise over the years is find ways of reinventing it. I realized that taking it into the medium of television would change the lens through which we view the characters in the franchise in a potentially really fruitful way. Just having eight hours of story to deal with necessarily puts you in a position where you're dealing much more with characters and relationships than you can in any single 90-minute movie. All of that just seemed really mouth-watering to me and I'm delighted and slightly shocked that it all worked out."

Working on Hannibal also gave Mancini hope that he would not have to tone down his killer creation for the small screen. "Hannibal really pushed the limits of what you can show on a network show," he says. "Syfy and USA have a strong appetite, as strong as ours, for keeping the TV series tonally in check with what the fans want to see. Before we even sold the show, we had to confirm with the network that Chucky could drop his F-bombs. Chucky gets 10 F-bombs per episode, so that's more than enough. It made me want to do an episode where Chucky, without ever having said anything off-color, at the end of the episode, he just turns to the camera and goes, 'F---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---.' It's the inverse of the way Spielberg used Chucky in his cameo in Ready Player One. Since that was a PG-13, they had one mandated F-bomb at their disposal and Spielberg chose to deploy it with Chucky's appearance, which I loved."

Pretty hyped for this. I didn't like the Childs Play reboot movie so I am real happy they went back to the classic Dourif Chucky.

The trailer is both creepy and hilarious. Looking forward to this. Chucky has always been one of my fav movie slashers

I liked the reboot, but this just feels like Child's Play, especially seeing them use the old school design for Chucky. I really hope it ends up being good and man you just can't replace Brad Dourif when it comes to voicing the charatcer and hearing his iconic laugh again got me excited.

I’m happy for the fans, but at this point, this looks more of the same. After Child’s Play, Bride of Chucky might be the only other interesting one for how they reinvented things. The DTV sequels were pretty bad, so I don’t have much hope that this will reinvent the series ala Bride.

With that said, fans probably don’t want that anyway so who cares what I think lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"