Iron Man Chow Yun- Fat or Ken Wantanabe for Mandarin

NinjaTurtleFan said:
Not bad but he's already been in two superhero movies "Elektra" and "The Phantom."

I know why people use this logic even though I don't buy into it. But anyway, was Elektra really all that popular? And The Phantom came out about 10 years ago now.

KingOfDreams said:
And The Phantom came out about 10 years ago now.
and it sucked.....

i dont even remember him in it:huh:

xwolverine2 said:
and it sucked.....

i dont even remember him in it:huh:

I liked the movie. It was a poor man's Indiana Jones. He played The Great Kabai Tseng. That's probably not how it's actually spelled though.

KingOfDreams said:
It was a poor man's Indiana Jones.
a poorly made indiana jones:csad:

but i have to admit i did enjoy it when it came out.......... but can you really blame me?...i was a child:csad:

xwolverine2 said:
impossible!!:wow:
Ken Watanabe delivered a solid performance in a Tom Cruise movie and suddenly he should play the role for any Asian character in every Hollywood movie ever.

Also the Mandarin is Chinese NOT Japanese. So you know . . . there are plenty of great Chinese actors that could play the role . . . like Bruce Leung :p .

guitarsingerguy said:
How can you call the 20 seconds he was on screen in Batman Begins enough to put him out of the running? Look at Sam Elliot. He's making it in two. Why can't Watanabe?

The problem is that the character of the Mandarin is already going to be scrutinized as a Ra's al Guhl rip-off in the first place. People are going to see it as a stereotyped kind of role. Compound that with having the same actor protray him and ....well, you see. The reason Sam can get away with it is because he plays 2 completely different type of characters in the 2 movies.

did anybody see art of war?

donaldsutherland1uk2.jpg

look at him, tell me he isn't perfect for the role?!

tagawa dammit!

caryhiroyukitagawavh3.jpg

Shang Tsung as the Mandarin? ...Yeah, okay, that could work.

HAL 9000 said:
caryhiroyukitagawavh3.jpg

Shang Tsung as the Mandarin? ...Yeah, okay, that could work.

How old is he now? This dude was born to play villains I tell ya.

Spider - Man said:
The problem is that the character of the Mandarin is already going to be scrutinized as a Ra's al Guhl rip-off in the first place. People are going to see it as a stereotyped kind of role. Compound that with having the same actor protray him and ....well, you see. The reason Sam can get away with it is because he plays 2 completely different type of characters in the 2 movies.

Um . . . Ken Watanabe didn't portray Ra's Al Ghul.

Sam Elliott is basically playing his Big Lebowski role in Ghost Rider.

Sonny Chiba . . . also Japanese.

Why can't a Chinese actor play a Chinese character? Great Chinese actors exist. It's true. Also, there are more Asian actors than Chow Yun Fat, Ken Watanabe, Sonny Chiba, and Cary Tagawa (Another Japanese) in the world.

As far as Tagawa's age, he is in his mid-50's I believe. He looked like he started showing his age in Elektra.

^You know good and well we can't tell the difference between them. As Hank Hill would say to Khan, "are ya chinese or japanese?" even though he's clearly from Laos.

I'm liking Shang Tsung from MK as the Mandarin. Truthfully, we know it doesn't have to be a big name.

terry78 said:
^You know good and well we can't tell the difference between them. As Hank Hill would say to Khan, "are ya chinese or japanese?" even though he's clearly from Laos.

And that's the freaking problem.

Tony Leung from Infernal Affairs, 2046, Hero, Hard Boiled

He is considered by many to be the finest actor of his generation in Hong Kong. Robert de Niro, who is an admirer of his work, has called Leung Asia's answer to Clark Gable.

Leung speaks impeccable English and is well read and well versed on historic issues. During the late 1990's, some predicted that it would be difficult for him to break into Hollywood since he would not take on degrading roles because of his pride and character. To date, he has not done a Hollywood movie, but is primed to appear in one after signing on with an American film agent.

I was JUST about to suggest Tony Leung Chiu Wai as well :O
The guy's a FANTASTIC actor :up:
Check outhis "Hero" look...

blue.jpg

3_28-3-326-58_20021105131851.jpg

incrediblehulk107.jpg

442px-Mandarin.jpg

mlegends_faceoff_ironman_vsmandarin.jpg

He doesn't have to wear it constantly, but I think that later in the movie he should don the robes just to showcase how drunk with power and insane he's gotten due to the rings. He wants to take over the world, but in the books he's tried to sabotage and steal Stark technology to do so, so making him a business rival as well would be plausible.

I would like to see something like that or a variation of it in the movie.

Also, I can't believe no one's suggested JOHN LONE yet.

Tony Leung Chiu Wai is a fantastic choice.

This is how he should look in the movie when he goes up against Iron Man.
getDownload.php

How grounded does Favreau want this movie to be, because having these stone henchmen attacking Iron Man would be hella cool!

Hey if people can accept a dude can turn into sand(SM3) then why not have stone villains?

Lee was in Elektra, so that should eliminate him immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"