Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sabotage8475 said:
Keaton didn't have to Bat (sorry) an eyelash to look disturbed. It was all in the eyes.

Bale, though while I liked his performance, the final result still felt forced. At least to me.. He was angry, and certainly alot less subuded than Keaton. So he's obviously going stick out more of the two.

Besides, I prefer my Batman a tad less chatty. And there's nothing wrong with subtlety. Which was an aspect Bale oddly lacked.

Yes Bale was very chatty. I really liked the way keaton was brooding, the way I dig Batsy:up:

Man, I've had this discussion so many times I begin to tire of it.

BALE, DAMMIT!!!!

I actually agree pretty much with what the Guard said, though I'm not sure I completely agree.

Basically I think there was nothing wrong with Keaton's performance. But I don't think the part that Keaton played was written as it should have been; I realize it was Miller's DKR Batman but it was taken out of context, since Keaton's Batman was pretty much just starting out (within a month or so I believe, given the idicators in the movie... but then... like everything else in B'89, it's pretty damn sketchy).

For me it break down like this:

1.Keaton and Bale did about equally spectacular acting jobs. Edge: draw.

2.Bale looks the part, where Keaton does not. Edge: Bale

3.Bale's part was written with more depth and was more faithful to the source material. Edge: Bale

Bale is the clear winner.

superpower said:
Yes Bale was very chatty. I really liked the way keaton was brooding, the way I dig Batsy:up:

So you prefer a churlish, petulant man-child wrapped in rubber? That's your hero?

The thing I love about the way Batman was portrayed in "Begins" is that he acted differently toward different people. Did you not notice this?

He was pure EVIL to Flass and Falcone. He was respectful to Gordon. He was quiet but compassionate to the "Narrows Kid." He was kind to the homeless guy. He was invisible to the SWAT team. He was cool and aloof to Rachel.

THAT IS BATMAN. He is different things to different people. And it was captured right there on screen. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THAT?!?!?!?!

I'll know I'll catch a post equivilant to a swift kick to the nuts with this, but here are a few things I still love more about keaton's take than bales.

Those sparkling eyes of his. It's amazing how much he can say with them through a dark rubber mask. His pensive, constantly calculating expression. Batman's like the ultimate chess player and that's what Keaton looked like to me. He would have kicked Fischer's ass, I'd bet. The voice was flippin perfect. I love when he says "stop"

If bale said it, he'd have sounded like hulk hogan, brother.

Oh crap, I forgot. And I like the way his mouth looks in the mask too. Like a pissed off **** you type ah guy.

28312.jpg
Give 'em hell, batsy.

don't hurt me too bad, now.

//Runs up to Wesyeed and delivers an NFL field-goal kick to the sack.//

What?!? He ASKED!!! Aw, okay... nevermind...

Keyser Sushi said:
So you prefer a churlish, petulant man-child wrapped in rubber? That's your hero?

The thing I love about the way Batman was portrayed in "Begins" is that he acted differently toward different people. Did you not notice this?

He was pure EVIL to Flass and Falcone. He was respectful to Gordon. He was quiet but compassionate to the "Narrows Kid." He was kind to the homeless guy. He was invisible to the SWAT team. He was cool and aloof to Rachel.

THAT IS BATMAN. He is different things to different people. And it was captured right there on screen. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THAT?!?!?!?!

Well Wesyeed just said it for me.

But Please don't confuse I like Keaton better with I don't like Bale.

I do like bale. Just not as much. I like the constant of keaton's Callculated performance. I also like bales but he was a bit too out of controll for me.

Is Bales Batman a good Batman? yes. Just not the one i prefer.

Keaton was able to whisper "I'm batman" and it gives me to this day can give me a chill and make me not want to meet him in an alley.

Bale seemed coked up with his wanna be death growl.:0

how come nobody voted for the self-proclaimed "batman of the silver age" adam west?

Keyser: i agree with you on bale's great performance,the reaction type manner guy,he reciprocates to different people with different sides to him,that was very nice.:up:

Wesyeed: Im with you too on Keatons eyes.I dont have that pic but he looks creepy in the dim lighting when he incapacitates the asian guy in the (nuts?) with his batclaw and looked up.You can watch that again.And yes that ***** lips behind a cowl sends a don't **** around with me or i will dazzle you with some movie cliches **** look.Also i like his non-chatty quiet emotionally distant looked as bats

voice: Keaton wins imo

I can't say who's the better batman(if i were sitting on the fence or not a fan) but i pick keaton because i prefer his delivery.I like bale's angry approach too,thats certainly badass and fearful but i like the hardcore non chatty no nonsense brooding method of keaton's.

And That does not make him the better batman

Keyser Sushi said:

How can you think a batman saying "nice coat" is not overyly chatty?

superpower said:
How can you think a batman saying "nice coat" is not overyly chatty?
That was one instance, and it was only 2 words. That doesn't equal chatty. He talks to Gordon and others but that's about as wordy as he is in any batman comic. He is definetely not justified as being chatty, and when he does talk it sounds creepy as hell. Plus this Batman was heavily influenced by the O'neil and Loeb stories, where he actually discusses things with his partners in his "war on crime."

Nuk Nukk said:
That was one instance, and it was only 2 words. That doesn't equal chatty. He talks to Gordon and others but that's about as wordy as he is in any batman comic. He is definetely not justified as being chatty, and when he does talk it sounds creepy as hell. Plus this Batman was heavily influenced by the O'neil and Loeb stories, where he actually discusses things with his partners in his "war on crime."

yeah. I'm not trying to take away from what he did. But that one instance is enough for me to dissmay him as too chatty. Heres another Imo Bat's should not only be mostly silent, but when he does speak he should be a man of few word. Don't say eight words if two will do; example in begins is when Ra's is about to board the monorail

Bats: you don't think i can handle two of your pawns (or somthing close)

What should he have said IMO "only two?" and if they wanted to put in a pun pointing to Falcone "only two? Im insulted" but for me that would have been over the top also.

things like that.

And yes the "nice coat" is only one instance but can you name something like that comming from Keaton?

superpower said:
yeah. I'm not trying to take away from what he did. But that one instance is enough for me to dissmay him as too chatty. Heres another Imo Bat's should not only be mostly silent, but when he does speak he should be a man of few word. Don't say eight words if two will do; example in begins is when Ra's is about to board the monorail

What should he have said IMO "only two?" and if they wanted to put in a pun pointing to Falcone "only two? Im insulted" but for me that would have been over the top also.

things like that.

Ahh, I see what you mean...I didn't personally see anything wrong with it though. Different strokes....

superpower said:
And yes the "nice coat" is only one instance but can you name something like that comming from Keaton?
No, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. Because this wasn't Keaton's Batman, or his universe from those movies.

Nuk Nukk said:
No, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. Because this wasn't Keaton's Batman, or his universe from those movies.

Agreed they were different entirly. And thats why I have to go with Keaton. He didn't have any silly one liners, and the one liners he did have (can't think of one but I know they were there) he pulled off while keeping it cool to me and didn't make it feel Foreverish.

I know that is a real a$$holeish thing to compair it to forever, but it totaly (im talking the nice coat line) reminded me of kilmer saying he'll get take out.

superpower said:

things like that.

Eat floor. High fiber.

superpower said:
Well there's one now isn't it.:up:

:) :up:

The only line I didn't particularly like in the Burton films, actually.

Both were of their time. Keaton was the right choice then, and Bale is the right choice now. To compare them is silly. They both do different variations of the roles in my opinion. Keaton was a rich loner who was the last person you would expect to be Batman. Bale played a more charismatic Wayne who kept a hint of mystery about him. So, you really can't compare them. Both did excellent jobs.

If I had to choose, I'd certainly pick Keaton because A) I'm a purist and B) He was a better Batman. I still really thought Bale was great, though.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Both were of their time. Keaton was the right choice then...
Debatable. In retrospect he was not the best choice then (Baldwin gets that in my book), but he did a tremendously good job with the role.
Keaton was a rich loner who was the last person you would expect to be Batman.
Also debatable. The fact that he's rich and doesn't go out much would certainly make him a likely choice for a vigilante in the night with endless gadgets, no?

bruce vs. bruce- well they both played it so differently, burton was obviously trying to do something else with bruce, while nolan stuck to the comics. but i prefer keaton's mysterious and "jay gatsby" bruce wayne.

batman vs batman- bale was a guy in a suit who would kick your ass. keaton was batman who you kill you. i like keaton

I am a huge Keaton fan but Michael is now the 2nd best Batman behind Bale. Bale has a better Bruce Wayne and Batman

Christian Bale is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne, Keaton is my second choice too.

JLBats said:
:) :up:

The only line I didn't particularly like in the Burton films, actually.

And that's one point. I'll give you that line but like you said its the only one. Hopfully Bale will have better and less dialog for the next (less as bats not bruce, bring on his bruce:up: )

It's amazing how even today (i watched 89 last night) he just dosn't have to do anything for his presence to be felt. When he grabbed Jack at Axis there was no jibber jabber, Jack just about crapped himself (hell i would have too) and to me that is in essence batman. He just does what he has to and thats a part of the character I love.

Now you can say talked to Catwoman, but face it he was trying to get those digits:up:

Two Face said:
Christian Bale is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne, Keaton is my second choice too.

Two Face, long time no see, welcome back!

in terms of who was a better bruce wayne, Bale wins easily, but who was a better Batman is a bit tougher.

They both represented batmans of a diffrent style. Bale is more like Batman as he is in the comics today, in terms of how he fought, dissapered during conversations, attitude, ect.

Keaton's was more lke the DKR version, but even more disturbed I'd say (exp. Batman killing0 It's really hard to compare these two for me because I like both styles. I'll always love Keatons batman, because that was teh first time I had ever seen a sirus interpretation of the character. But I'll always love Bale's because it showed us a Batman more true to the recent comics.

I can't choose, It's too hard. i like both. Both Batman's that is, because like I said, Keaton's wayne was good, but Bale really nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"