Christopher Nolan as a Marvel producer/director

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a difference in liking a film and knowing when it's bad, they're not the same thing, i like Chronicles of Riddick but i won't defend it as a good movie. I don't enjoy The Shinning, you don't see me saying it was mega crap just because it wasn't something i liked.

If liking and knowing how to judge properly were the same thing then Transformers 3's reception would rise a lot.

Thanks for the lecture, but that's beside the point. He obviously didn't think that the movie was good by any objective measure, so instead of accusing him of trolling, why not just ask 'why'? Your response was predicated on the notion that TDK is above criticism, which is just as bad as trolling if you ask me.

Thanks for the lecture, but that's beside the point. He obviously didn't think that the movie was good by any objective measure, so instead of accusing him of trolling, why not just ask 'why'? Your response was predicated on the notion that TDK is above criticism, which is just as bad as trolling if you ask me.
I didn't acuse him of trolling, i asked him if he was trolling

You mentioned that Legendary is "boys-male oriented". Why do you think that Disney snapped up Marvel? The studio's rationale at the time was that it needed to add a brand that could produce movies that would attract boys and young men, to add to its Disney princess monopoly on girls. The acquisition of LucasFilm was another move to shore up Disney's offerings for the young male demo. If Legendary is male-focused, that would make it all the more attractive to Disney.

Marvel and Lucasfilm are already "boys-male oriented" IPs. Then there are Tron, Pirates of the Caribbean, and other standard staples. Legendary bringing giant robot & monster or some sword & sorcery film would not be that needed when Marvel could have as much as 3 films a year and Star Wars fills 2. So my point is, Disney is NOT starved of boys & men IPs when they could harvest from Marvel and LF. What they need are steady crop of creators which Robinov could bring to helm Disney's franchises.

I didn't acuse him of trolling, i asked him if he was trolling
:dry:

Semantics. My point is that you defaulted to that line of thinking rather than considering his take on the film.

:dry:

Semantics. My point is that you defaulted to that line of thinking rather than considering his take on the film.
I considered it, which is why i asked him if he was trolling. I want to know why he thinks the film is bad.

Then ask why he thinks the film is bad. If the first thing someone asks you after you give your honest opinion is if you're a troll, would you take them seriously?

Then ask why he thinks the film is bad. If the first thing someone asks you after you give your honest opinion is if you're a troll, would you take them seriously?
Yep, i would. This is the internet, a forum to be specific, you have specify why you don't think something is good when the majority does.

Punisher or Daredevil.
Punisher will be a good choice for him, past Punisher movies (the two before War Zone) tried to ground the character, so for a guy who likes to add as much realism as possible into a comic book film, it will suit him fine

DareDevil can't work well for his vision, it will be wrong to have a DareDevil movie without the character jumping high, leaping some distances forward, using the billy club and swing, and not jump and bounce all over the place when fighting

Throw Man of Steel in there and see what Nolan's tomahto-meter says. :lmao:
It just has his name slapped there as a producer, and a bit of inspiration of his grounded work
Most of the heavy lifting is Snyder's work

Punisher will be a good choice for him, past Punisher movies (the two before War Zone) tried to ground the character, so for a guy who likes to add as much realism as possible into a comic book film, it will suit him fine

DareDevil can't work well for his vision, it will be wrong to have a DareDevil movie without the character jumping high, leaping some distances forward, using the billy club and swing, and not jump and bounce all over the place when fighting
I don't think he would be a good fit for The Punisher for his aversion to brutality alone. The tone would be there, but that's about it.

No, I was not trolling. Interesting that the idea would even enter your mind, but whatever.

I explain here why I hate that movie:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=26182671&postcount=58
About things happening because the plot needs them to happen, yeah, i can see what you mean, the problem in Nolan's films is that they're normally more about the plot than the characters.

However i disagree about Joker and Two-Face, Joker simply had a lot of things going on, if he picked some explosions he would use them, therefore he constantly had something he could use against his oponentes. As for Two-Face i think his arc made sence and worked in the film, it was shown that there was a darker side to him since the begining, as well has his view on chances.

About things happening because the plot needs them to happen, yeah, i can see what you mean, the problem in Nolan's films is that they're normally more about the plot than the characters.

However i disagree about Joker and Two-Face, Joker simply had a lot of things going on, if he picked some explosions he would use them, therefore he constantly had something he could use against his oponentes. As for Two-Face i think his arc made sence and worked in the film, it was shown that there was a darker side to him since the begining, as well has his view on chances.

As to 2-face, I totally didn't see any dark side anywhere in the film before he turned. The scene where he threatens to shoot the guy looses all sense of that since Dent KNOWS it's a 2-headed coin and his ruse is just a bluff(something Batman was clueless about). He wasn't out of control at all in that scene. And everything else he does in the film prior to his turn is what anyone would or should do in the same situation.

Joker basically must have knowledge that he's in a movie and/or have read the script in order to pull off what he does. Either that or he has superhuman intelligence or clairvoyance or just superhuman luck in order to get away with what he gets away with. I'd be fine with that if it weren't for the fact that the movie series has told us already that there's no superhuman ANYTHING in this version of Batman. It's a heightened reality, yes but that merely extends to people dressing up when nobody would do that in real life, a secret society of vigilante ninjas and also the inclusion of some pseudo-science like Wayne's bullet reconstruction thingy and the microwave emitter from the previous film. Super-luck Man(Joker) is completely out of place next to that stuff.

An industrial espionage based Punisher would be pretty good by him.

I think he could have done a good job adapting the extremis story. But of course with the tony stark from the comics.

You're joking right? :doh:

Nolan's Batman movies are the most faithful interpretations of Batman in a live-action film yet. They are for certain more faithful to the source material than The Avengers was. Read some of the Denny O'Neil/ Neil Adams or Steve Englehart/ Marshall Rogers runs, Year One, The Long Halloween, No Man's Land, or The Dark Knight Returns for before you make such a ridiculous statement. Avengers, as good as it was, didn't take much inspiration from the comics at all like the Nolan films did (who even went as far as directly lifting scenes from the pages).

Oh, Avengers took a lot of inspiration from comics. It just didn't ape specific story arcs. Except for when it did, such as using Loki as the cause of the Avengers uniting.

( it also decided to steal the tone from DC comics, and be more optimistic. But since DC hasn't been using optimism in its movies of late anyway. . . )

To me he's always been a hit or miss director. Some of his movies are good and some are awful.

Memento - never saw it, no comment
Insomnia - decent
Batman Begins - really good
The Prestige - crap
TDK - mega crap
Inception - good
TDKR - bad

Marvel doesn't need him.

I'm with you on the Batman sequels. They bore me to tears. But "The Prestige"??? Ahh man say it ain't so Kedrell! LOL

Oh, Avengers took a lot of inspiration from comics. It just didn't ape specific story arcs. Except for when it did, such as using Loki as the cause of the Avengers uniting.

( it also decided to steal the tone from DC comics, and be more optimistic. But since DC hasn't been using optimism in its movies of late anyway. . . )

That's what I'm saying. It didn't utilize as much of the source material as the Batman films did which Magik initially claimed. Also, the overall silly tone to The Avengers wasn't very much like the comics at all either. Would be cool if we could get an Avengers movie in the tone of the Kurt Busiek runs. :up:

I'm with you on the Batman sequels. They bore me to tears. But "The Prestige"??? Ahh man say it ain't so Kedrell! LOL

Well think about it. The twist in the film is BS. Bale's character sends Jackman's character on a wild goose chase so he won't find out Bale is actually twins. But the same wild goose chase he sends Jackman on actually ends up netting him something unbelievably out of place with the rest of the film. Basically a universal Xerox machine capable of copying anything. And Bale didn't intend this, he just wanted Jackman to stop snooping around and messing with his act. So it comes off as the biggest coincidence in the ****ing universe when Jackman actually runs across a guy who builds this ridiculous machine. I've seen movies with twists that don't work but this is basically the most ridiculous twist I've ever had thrown in my face. It really pissed me off because it's essentially the writers cheating to get the end result they wanted. Something Nolan has developed a bad habit of.

Men of Steel did that already. You don't start a cinematic universe with a movie as bad as this.
That's the reason no DCCU followed GL

No, you start a cinematic universe with a movie as GREAT as Man of Steel.

No, you start a cinematic universe with a movie as GREAT as Man of Steel.
I know tastes differ since even Transformers has its fans. speaking of it, since MoS and Transformers plots had about the depth and the mindless boring action sequences about the same amount, I guess the fan groups might be very congruent.

I'm in the middle on this one. MoS is the best effort I've seen out of DC since 2005. Not that that is some rousing endorsement but I guess this is as close to something good to kick start their DC film universe as we're likely to get so might as well run with this one.

I know tastes differ since even Transformers has its fans. speaking of it, since MoS and Transformers plots had about the depth and the mindless boring action sequences about the same amount, I guess the fan groups might be very congruent.

This may surprise you but outside of these boards, comic films are all uniformly looked at as fairly mindless and lacking in depth, regardless of company of origin.

Even the better comic book films still rely on the same old tired tropes and in the end are centered around thin characters who rely on violence to solve problems.

The venn diagram of comicbook fans is just a circle.

This may surprise you but outside of these boards, comic films are all uniformly looked at as fairly mindless and lacking in depth, regardless of company of origin.

Even the better comic book films still rely on the same old tired tropes and in the end are centered around thin characters who rely on violence to solve problems.

The venn diagram of comicbook fans is just a circle.

no one argues that. some movies are just below genre standards as well. mos is definatly one of them.
and of course it doesn't matter which company* they belong too, I root for every movie at the beginning. at least as long as they start to make stupid decisions in the preproduction phase. in fact I wish them all well. WB hasn't made a decent CBM since 2008, but I do hope things change and they make great movies again. when they start to get their act together, THEN it is time to think about a DCCU. definatly not now, when people still have the bad taste of MoS in their mouthes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"