Sidekick
Reaction score
Since I already started a thread involving Batman...:
*Clark Kent/Superman - Christopher Reeve vs. Tim Daly or George Newbern

*Lois Lane - Margot Kidder vs. Dana Delany

*Lex Luthor - Gene Hackman vs. Clancy Brown

*Perry White - Jackie Cooper vs. George Dzundza

*Jimmy Olsen - Marc McClure vs. David Kaufman

*Ma and Pa Kent - Phyllis Thaxter and Glenn Ford vs. Shelley Fabares and Mike Farrell

*Jor-El and Lara - Marlon Brando and Susannah York vs. Christopher McDonald and Finola Hughes

*Lana Lang - Annette O'Toole vs. Joely Fisher

*Kara Zor-El (In-Ze)/Supergirl - Helen Slater vs. Nicholle Tom

For me, the Reeve movies win except for Gene Hackman. He only loses out to Clancy Brown because of how the character was written, though, not Hackman's performance. I guess I felt a lot of the characterizations in STAS were a little bland along with the performances. The show was written more seriously overall, but it just doesn't have the charm of the movies and the likability of the characters. Jackie Cooper's Perry stands out more for me than George Dzundza's, and Brando and York's Jor-El and Lara are just more.. regal and intellectual, and I just prefer that. I also prefer Supergirl as she was portrayed by Helen Slater because she felt more like an alien and a fish out of water. I'm not saying the movie was all that great but I think they did a better job with her portrayal. The STAS Supergirl was a little too much like your average everyday American teenage girl for someone who lived most of her life on a far away world.

Reeves is the better Superman. TAS takes the rest.

Out of that group, I'd go with:
Christopher Reeve
Dana Delany
Clancy Brown
Jackie Cooper
Marc McClure
Shelley Fabares & Mike Farrell
Christopher McDonald & Finola Hughes
Annette O'Toole
Nicholle Tom

That's 5-4 DCAU. I'd have counted Newbern instead of Reeve just to have a somewhat dialed-down Clark, but that would have been based on "The Batman" instead of the DCAU proper, so I didn't do that.

Clark Kent/Superman - Christopher Reeve

*Lois Lane - Dana Delany

*Lex Luthor - Clancy Brown

*Perry White - Jackie Cooper

*Jimmy Olsen - Marc McClure

*Ma and Pa Kent - Phyllis Thaxter and Glenn Ford

*Jor-El and Lara - Marlon Brando and Susannah York

*Lana Lang - Joely Fisher

*Kara Zor-El (In-Ze)/Supergirl - Helen Slater (not fond of the animated Supergirl)

I like the DCAU's Superman and co. more than the live action adaptations.

Superman-Christopher Reeve
Lois Lane-Margot Kidder
Lex Luthor-Clancy Brown
Perry White-Jackie Cooper
Jimmy Olsen-David Kaufman
Ma and Pa Kent=Shelley Fabares and Mike Farrell
Jor-El and Lara-Christopher McDonald and Finola Hughes
Lana Lang-Annette O'Toole
Never watched the Supergirl movie, so I don't know.
I noticed that you kept Alicia Slverstone's Batgirl of the Batman list for not being Barbara Gordon. But you still have Supergirl even though the DCAU one is Kara In-Ze from Argo not Kara Zor-EL from Krypton. Why?

The Animated Series wins over the Reeve movies IMO.

Superman-Christopher Reeve
Lois Lane-Margot Kidder
Lex Luthor-Clancy Brown
Perry White-Jackie Cooper
Jimmy Olsen-David Kaufman
Ma and Pa Kent=Shelley Fabares and Mike Farrell
Jor-El and Lara-Christopher McDonald and Finola Hughes
Lana Lang-Annette O'Toole
Never watched the Supergirl movie, so I don't know.
I noticed that you kept Alicia Slverstone's Batgirl of the Batman list for not being Barbara Gordon. But you still have Supergirl even though the DCAU one is Kara In-Ze from Argo not Kara Zor-EL from Krypton. Why?

I really don't know why? I thought I read somewhere that DC Comics wouldn't let the producers make Supergirl be Superman's actual cousin (i.e. Jor-El's niece). So they made a "compromise" in which Supergirl was from a neighboring planet of Krypton's.

I really don't know why? I thought I read somewhere that DC Comics wouldn't let the producers make Supergirl be Superman's actual cousin (i.e. Jor-El's niece). So they made a "compromise" in which Supergirl was from a neighboring planet of Krypton's.

I seem to recall reading that somewhere too (I think it was an old issue of Wizard or one of their specials).

The first two Superman films are brilliant, I love nearly every element except for a couple of things like Otis. But as far as the last two, the animated series is infinitely better.

The live-action Superman cast all the way. STM and SII (whichever version) are the most perfectly casted superhero movies of all time. No doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"